The Student Room Group

East or West London?

So I've just secured a grad role for this summer in London and its a toss up between East and West.

During my placement year, I lived in Shoreditch and I loved it. It was always buzzing and I could walk to my work place which was in the city. The only downside of living in East London was the "grimey" feel it had at times (e.g. men were kinda pervy and it wasn't very clean) I also found that because work was so close I didn't really "switch off" due to the city being around the corner.

I LOVE West London- the vibe/culture is right up my street. However, the only thing holding me back is the commute. I really want to live in Notting Hill but my friends have told me that the 15 minute commute on the central line into the city is a nightmare and I shouldn't underestimate the privilege of being able to walk to work.

So would you chose West London and put up with the commute or East London where you avoid the commute and make use of the time you save being close to work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congratulations on the job! Any idea how many hours a week you will be working? That can make a difference to where you want to live.

Honestly - the commute from West London on the Central line takes no time. Whichever you chose you can always move if you don't like it.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Congratulations on the job! Any idea how many hours a week you will be working? That can make a difference to where you want to live.

Honestly - the commute from West London on the Central line takes no time. Whichever you chose you can always move if you don't like it.

Thank you! It's contracted as a standard 9-5 but because its a large investment mgmt firm I would expect to finish more like half 6/7. It's just the crammed commute in the mornings which put me off!! Otherwise I would chose West London in a heartbeat!
West London
East always. I like the grimey feel.
Whichever side has less BMX gangs and stabbings...
Original post by Precious Illusions
East always. I like the grimey feel.

Isn’t South london meant to be the really rough part?

If you like grime and being stabbed, sorted 😂
Reply 7
loool all london threads always end up mentioning stabbings fs..can i have some serious input from londoners plssss
Original post by M_xxx113
So I've just secured a grad role for this summer in London and its a toss up between East and West.

During my placement year, I lived in Shoreditch and I loved it. It was always buzzing and I could walk to my work place which was in the city. The only downside of living in East London was the "grimey" feel it had at times (e.g. men were kinda pervy and it wasn't very clean) I also found that because work was so close I didn't really "switch off" due to the city being around the corner.

I LOVE West London- the vibe/culture is right up my street. However, the only thing holding me back is the commute. I really want to live in Notting Hill but my friends have told me that the 15 minute commute on the central line into the city is a nightmare and I shouldn't underestimate the privilege of being able to walk to work.

So would you chose West London and put up with the commute or East London where you avoid the commute and make use of the time you save being close to work?

east when you're young, west when you're old.
Reply 9
loool all london threads always end up mentioning stabbings fs..can i have some serious input from londoners plssss

Avoid getting stabbed?
Reply 10
I'm on that central line commute to uni and at peak rush hour at half past 7 in the morning it's really not good...
Also the central line has a tendency to f**k up at Leytonstone
Reply 11
Original post by A Rolling Stone
east when you're young, west when you're old.

I get where you're coming from but do you not feel it's a different type of vibe? West still has Soho, Covent Gardens etc
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
I'm on that central line commute to uni and at peak rush hour at half past 7 in the morning it's really not good...
Also the central line has a tendency to f**k up at Leytonstone

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is it? My commute would be from Notting Hill to Liverpool Street..

i was literally going to post "east when you're young, west when you're old, despite the stabbings" but held off from typing the last bit lol
west london. less likely to get stabbed in the streets but more likely to get stabbed on the central line with someones penis cause itss so packed
I get where you're coming from but do you not feel it's a different type of vibe? West still has Soho, Covent Gardens etc

the best vibe is in Shoreditch, Hoxton, Daltston surely? Soho and that is for older people honestly, you will get bored
Reply 16
On a scale of 1-10 how bad is it? My commute would be from Notting Hill to Liverpool Street..

There's a good chance you wouldn't be able to board the first train you see at Notting Hill. But then I suppose it can't get worse between there and Liverpool St.
West london
Reply 18
Original post by A Rolling Stone
the best vibe is in Shoreditch, Hoxton, Daltston surely? Soho and that is for older people honestly, you will get bored

Because I've already lived in Shoreditch I've pretty much seen/done most of it. Soooo conflicted :s-smilie: I want to experience a different side of london but really don't want to end up regretting cause of the commute/boredom
Reply 19
Original post by Sinnoh
There's a good chance you wouldn't be able to board the first train you see at Notting Hill. But then I suppose it can't get worse between there and Liverpool St.

My worst nightmare :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest