How long do the emotional symptoms of trauma last for most people?

Watch
Reese478
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been experiencing trauma symptoms for months now. Is this normal? And please don’t tell me to go see a therapist. I’m not going to unless the effects actually won’t go away on their own.
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reese478)
I have been experiencing trauma symptoms for months now. Is this normal? And please don’t tell me to go see a therapist. I’m not going to unless the effects actually won’t go away on their own.
If it is severe trauma it will probably not go away on its own. I’m not going to tell you to go see a therapist if it will go away on its own, as you’ve requested.... so go see a therapist.

This is like saying I’ve got a bad wound and I’m not going to the doctor unless it won’t heal on its own. It may heal on its own, but it may not heal properly, will take way longer and may leave you with permanent/long-term issues.
Last edited by bownessie; 1 month ago
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It could go on for years without treatment.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
six years and counting, including nightmares most nights of the week. what kind of symptoms are you experiencing? may i ask why you don't want to see a therapist?
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
forever. if you have "trauma symptoms", you probably have ptsd. if it's severe, it's never going away. the whole "time heals all the wounds" lie, their silly "therapies", are such bull****. honestly, just thinking about psychologists and psychiatrists makes me mad af. they are utterly useless. sometimes it's impossible for our brains to recover, same with the rest of our bodies.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Several of my ancestors died in WW2. One survivor gave an interview 50 years afterwards and some of the trauma remained. I think you should consider help, and this is not a weakness in you.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm 29, my trauma started in my early teens. I have not sought help, and I am therefore not over it in the slightest.

Don't be me.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I sometimes still get flashbacks of things that happened nearly 15 years ago
bownessie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I sometimes still get flashbacks of things that happened nearly 15 years ago
Sounds like you need help, but no point getting help if you don’t want the help/to change. It took me years to be ready to commit to therapy and the difference it made when I was ready was astounding- it has changed my life and helped me to mostly recover from trauma from abuse and neglect.
bownessie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
forever. if you have "trauma symptoms", you probably have ptsd. if it's severe, it's never going away. the whole "time heals all the wounds" lie, their silly "therapies", are such bull****. honestly, just thinking about psychologists and psychiatrists makes me mad af. they are utterly useless. sometimes it's impossible for our brains to recover, same with the rest of our bodies.
They can make a huge difference, it is just finding the right treatment. I did CBT and it did nothing for me. I had a couple therapists who were pretty useless, but then I got to the point where I was ready and I found a really good therapist.

probably worth noting that I am lucky enough to be able to afford private therapy, imo the 6 sessions you normally get with the nhs doesn’t scratch the surface.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bownessie)
They can make a huge difference, it is just finding the right treatment. I did CBT and it did nothing for me. I had a couple therapists who were pretty useless, but then I got to the point where I was ready and I found a really good therapist.

probably worth noting that I am lucky enough to be able to afford private therapy, imo the 6 sessions you normally get with the nhs doesn’t scratch the surface.
i can afford private therapy. nhs, private, it's all ****. i prefer to just get benzos prescriptions to help with the symptoms.
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My trauma hasn’t left me clearly
osirus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Reese, Symptoms of reliving/ nightmares and feeling on edge are common right after a traumatic incident. Up to a month after an event this is called an acute stress response. If youre having reliving symptoms nights mares, feeling on edge and you are in some way suppressing the memory after this point then it could be ptsd. Look out for the ies-r online. I just googled iesr questionaire and i think it was the fourth link down.
bownessie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
i can afford private therapy. nhs, private, it's all ****. i prefer to just get benzos prescriptions to help with the symptoms.
Well treating symptoms and relying on pills isn’t going to sort the problem if it has been going on for a long time, but to each their own. I’m guessing you’ve had some bad therapists and that is a shame because they can make a real difference. Good luck with it all, I guess.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Years. Depression is for life as its chemical and therefore intermittent yet it's psychological, so chronic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (18)
78.26%
No (3)
13.04%
Not sure (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads