BenjaminClark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm currently deciding whether to choose the school over Newcastle for a Management and Marketing degree. Exeter has an amazing business school but I'm quite unsure about the town. I'm quite used to an urban setting as I grew up in a city but does Exeter have a lot going on in terms of shops, restaurants, bars/nightclubs?
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Exeter is a city of about 130K population compared to Newcastle which is about 260K population. The advantage is you can walk around to see your friends really easily but there as still plenty of shops, clubs, restaurants, nice hotel venues etc.
Em060715
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
my partner goes to exeter. There are several club nights that are attended by students, including a club on campus ( although this has periods of fewer people going). The town centre has loads of shops and restaurants, it's a super lovely area. Parking is sketchy, and students don't have access to a car park just pay and display street parking, but most people walk or take the bus as there are good bus links. The student area is a 20 min walk from the center of town and the uni.
Coke1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello,

I went to Exeter University from 2014-2018.

The town has pretty much everything you need. Lots of shops, plenty of great restaurants.

In the summer it's a very lovely place. The quay has some nice bars and restaurants.

The campus is beautiful and its quite a picturesque town.

There is somewhere to go every night of the week really. It may not be rocking like Newcastle or Manchester, but the nightlife is decent.

PM me if you have any questions about Exeter!
smarties04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey, I'm a first year Economics student at Exeter, originally from London.
I'll be completely frank, it was a hard adjustment going from such a big city to Exeter and I miss home quite a lot because of it. The night scene really cannot be compared to London's or any other big city really but its not terrible (Alcohol's cheap though so that's a plus lol). And if you're on of those people who does not like clubbing that much, you might find yourself bored on quite a few nights.

Apart from going to the city centre (which does have quite a few shops and restaurants), there's not much to do really. You can easily take day trips to Exmouth and go to the beach on days when the weather's nice.

The university is pretty good but the city is quite a boring place.
blameitonme
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's pretty small, but there's more than enough imho. All the main shops, and about 4 solid clubs (also there's the student club on campus). The added bonus of a small town is that it doesn't take long to get anywhere, so you save a huge amount of time over three years. This is very underrated

Was there 2014-17
Gatts
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Exeter’s got plenty of good clubs... and Rosie’s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise