Driving instructor issue

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Three weeks ago my instructor told me after my theory test I could book my practical, but I failed my theory, but passed 2nd time, I had the driven instructors reference number to book my test, so I did managed to get a taste Three days later when I told my instructor, she refused to take me and said I would have to cancel but I could not because it was at short notice, I had to hire a car and a driving instructor, and failed as I didn't no the car well enough, and would probably have passed if I had used her car, is there any way I can complain about this.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
You can’t really complain it was your fault, you should of checked with her first to make sure she’s available. It was the same with my driving instructor he could only do tests at certain times and I had to make sure he was free which is fair enough. Either suck it up and carry on driving with her or look for a new instructor, next time don’t just use their reference!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Three weeks ago my instructor told me after my theory test I could book my practical, but I failed my theory, but passed 2nd time, I had the driven instructors reference number to book my test, so I did managed to get a taste Three days later when I told my instructor, she refused to take me and said I would have to cancel but I could not because it was at short notice, I had to hire a car and a driving instructor, and failed as I didn't no the car well enough, and would probably have passed if I had used her car, is there any way I can complain about this.
Three days isn't a lot of notice for your instructor - she probably had lessons booked all day, so didn't have time to take you (or would have had to cancel lessons with others, which wouldn't be fair).

Also, to a certain extent, if you are ready to pass you should be able to drive any car (with similar controls and size).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Three days isn't a lot of notice for your instructor - she probably had lessons booked all day, so didn't have time to take you (or would have had to cancel lessons with others, which wouldn't be fair).

Also, to a certain extent, if you are ready to pass you should be able to drive any car (with similar controls and size).
I appreciate what your saying, my argument is on the DVLA website I used her reference number and it said she was available, I also rang DVLA to double check and they confirmed that I was booked in, but apparently driven instructors don't have to tell DVLA that there no available, I think this is wrong, what's the point booking online, if driven instructors don't need to update their ability
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I appreciate what your saying, my argument is on the DVLA website I used her reference number and it said she was available, I also rang DVLA to double check and they confirmed that I was booked in, but apparently driven instructors don't have to tell DVLA that there no available, I think this is wrong, what's the point booking online, if driven instructors don't need to update their ability
You're still wrong. Check with your instructor, not the DVLA.
Anonymous #1
Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, but they shouldn't put rules in place if you don't have to comply to them.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you booked a test without your instructor confirming they were free and willing, that's utterly daft , No you cannot realistically complain. (If it was too short notice to cancel the test what made you think it was enough notice for the instructor?)

As PhoenixFortune said above, if a slightly different car is enough to throw you off, you're maybe not as ready as you think..?

Also, Driving instructors are NOT employed by DVLA, I am aware of nothing when booking that tells me what my instructor happens to be doing that day? Think about it, people often book tests months in advance...how is an instructor expected to know and update their availability over that much time? bearing in mind many test centers are open 7 days a week?
Last edited by StriderHort; 8 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
If you booked a test without your instructor confirming they were free and willing, that's utterly daft , No you cannot realistically complain. (If it was too short notice to cancel the test what made you think it was enough notice for the instructor?)

As PhoenixFortune said above, if a slightly different car is enough to throw you off, you're maybe not as ready as you think..?

Also, Driving instructors are NOT employed by DVLA, I am aware of nothing when booking that tells me what my instructor happens to be doing that day? Think about it, people often book tests months in advance...how is an instructor expected to know and update their availability over that much time? bearing in mind many test centers are open 7 days a week?
What's the point in ur instructor given you there reference number to check with DVLA if there available, there's not, DVLA website is saying there available, but apparently the instructors don't have to update their availability, so what's the point
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You should have asked the driving instructor of they were available, which is what everyone has already told you, but you aren't listening.

This is your fault, if you want to accept it or not. Everyone I know has managed to ask their driving instructor, I don't know why it's so difficult for you.
Anonymous #3
Report 8 months ago
You have to actually ask your driving instructor and let them know BEFORE booking your test.

You can’t just book a random test without finding out whether your instructor is even available or not.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What's the point in ur instructor given you there reference number to check with DVLA if there available, there's not, DVLA website is saying there available, but apparently the instructors don't have to update their availability, so what's the point
I suspect there will have been a misunderstanding somewhere. From a quick read it seems the DVLA and ADI number can only tell if your instructor is double booked for another TEST (through the DVLA) Apparently some of the bigger driving schools make some use of it for appointment tracking, but I v much doubt the majority do :/

It just doesn't seem logical y'know? If i'm employing an instructor, I'll ask THEM when they're free, I wouldn't trust a 3rd party website. Expecting a self employed instructor to constantly provide accurate appointments, holidays, lessons ect months in advance to them just doesn't sound..right?

I've personally only used one instructor, but I don't remember if he even GAVE me his ADI number, when I wanted to book tests I had to text/phone and ask him which seemed pretty sensible, and I'm not aware of anyone else doing it another way. :/

If your instructor specifically told you to do things this way and only this way, then has went back on it, i'm at a bit of a loss, they'd need to explain that to you themselves
Last edited by StriderHort; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (8)
53.33%
No (6)
40%
I don't know (1)
6.67%

Watched Threads