sidney2456
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im from London and I'm not sure whether to make Lancaster my firm because it's around a 4 hour train journey, is the distance worth it?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sidney2456)
Im from London and I'm not sure whether to make Lancaster my firm because it's around a 4 hour train journey, is the distance worth it?
Are you going to be staying in halls?
sidney2456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are you going to be staying in halls?
yeah I would stay in halls but just during holidays and going back home it seems like quite a long journey
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I’m in a uni near Lancaster and I’m from leicester. Not as far, but still far
Helix120
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m in Lancaster uni now, and my mum is coming up to see me next week - 6hr journey!
sidney2456
Rep:
?
Yeah the distance is the only thing that’s putting me off
skifans
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd really encourage you to go for it if the only thing putting you off is the length. I discounted unis because of the length back home and in hindsight a definitely shouldn't have, you'll make friends and get to know people here. I was imagining I was going to go back alot more regularly then I do, I only do so at the start and and end of term (and even then - I often spend an extra week in Lancaster) - there's lots to do and its where my friends are.

Obviously it also depends where exactly in London you are, but the fast trains from Lancaster to Preston only take 2 and a half hours, how long it takes to the uni does depend on the exact time of day, but 30-45 minutes is reasonable. Although yeah its worth living on campus in first year I have very much enjoyed living within walking distance of the station now and it makes longer day trips elsewhere so much more doable.

If you also need to get in London early a great option is the sleeper, get the last train from Lancaster north to Carlise and then double back on the Lowlander (https://www.sleeper.scot/timetable/london-glasgow/) and you'll be in London at just after 0700, it's a nice time save, often alot cheaper then a ticket if you need to be in London early enough that you wouldn't be able to get an off-peak train & all the advance tickets have sold out.

There are also 2 direct coaches each day from the underpass to Victoria coach station - one National Express one Megabus. These are very slow, taking between 7 and 9 hours depending on the times! But they are cheap - the megabus one often costs <£15, even just a few days in advance.Its slower but the train can also be made alot cheaper by changing to the London Northwestern service at Crewe. They are also so much easier if you have luggage with you - there are direct buses to the station from the underpass but they are only every 30 minutes and go the long way round (apart from a handful at peak time), so if you don't have much with you its often quicker to walk the <10ish to Common Garden Street and get a fast one along the A6. They also don't run late, last direct bus back from the station is 1815 Monday to Saturday at the moment. And the first arrival isn't until 0840, which means if your after a day trip you're likely to want to go earlier then the first bus and return after the last one. There essentially isn't a Sunday service, just 3 buses (leave the station 2045, 2145 & 2245 only).

"Soon" there will be some more Preston to Euston trains by a new company - https://www.grandcentralrail.com/pop...don-blackpool/ - so maybe the prices will fall furthur as well?
sidney2456
Rep:
?
(Original post by skifans)
I'd really encourage you to go for it if the only thing putting you off is the length. I discounted unis because of the length back home and in hindsight a definitely shouldn't have, you'll make friends and get to know people here. I was imagining I was going to go back alot more regularly then I do, I only do so at the start and and end of term (and even then - I often spend an extra week in Lancaster) - there's lots to do and its where my friends are.

Obviously it also depends where exactly in London you are, but the fast trains from Lancaster to Preston only take 2 and a half hours, how long it takes to the uni does depend on the exact time of day, but 30-45 minutes is reasonable. Although yeah its worth living on campus in first year I have very much enjoyed living within walking distance of the station now and it makes longer day trips elsewhere so much more doable.

If you also need to get in London early a great option is the sleeper, get the last train from Lancaster north to Carlise and then double back on the Lowlander (https://www.sleeper.scot/timetable/london-glasgow/) and you'll be in London at just after 0700, it's a nice time save, often alot cheaper then a ticket if you need to be in London early enough that you wouldn't be able to get an off-peak train & all the advance tickets have sold out.

There are also 2 direct coaches each day from the underpass to Victoria coach station - one National Express one Megabus. These are very slow, taking between 7 and 9 hours depending on the times! But they are cheap - the megabus one often costs <£15, even just a few days in advance.Its slower but the train can also be made alot cheaper by changing to the London Northwestern service at Crewe. They are also so much easier if you have luggage with you - there are direct buses to the station from the underpass but they are only every 30 minutes and go the long way round (apart from a handful at peak time), so if you don't have much with you its often quicker to walk the <10ish to Common Garden Street and get a fast one along the A6. They also don't run late, last direct bus back from the station is 1815 Monday to Saturday at the moment. And the first arrival isn't until 0840, which means if your after a day trip you're likely to want to go earlier then the first bus and return after the last one. There essentially isn't a Sunday service, just 3 buses (leave the station 2045, 2145 & 2245 only).

"Soon" there will be some more Preston to Euston trains by a new company - https://www.grandcentralrail.com/pop...don-blackpool/ - so maybe the prices will fall furthur as well?
Thankyou so much I didn’t realise there was a night train or a mega bus. I’ll probably look at all of that stuff more because it seems less trouble now. Thanks!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sidney2456)
Hello!
I'm from London and it only takes 2.5 hours from Euston to Lancaster and then about 15-30 minutes to campus from the train station. It can take a while to drive but the train station is well connected and there's frequent trains to and from London, making it completely feasible to go home at weekends etc. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with or there's anything you want to know.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
skifans
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just going to add an amendment to my post above (#7) that National Express will be withdrawing their Victoria to Lancaster University direct coach (#541) on route 541 at the end of March 2020. The Megabus M11 service is still running though although the times are later, it was usually alot cheaper to.

Southwards National Express 541 (being withdrawn):
D University Underpass: 1058
A London Victoria: 1920
8h22m
(stops at Galgate, Fullwood, Preston, Manchester Central, Milton Keynes Coachway and Marble Arch)

Southwards Megabus M11:
D University Underpass: 1405
A London Victoria: 2120
7h15m
(stops at Preston, Manchester (Shudehill) and Birmingham)

Northwards National Express 541 (being withdrawn):
D London Victoria: 0900
A University Underpass: 1643
7h43m
(stops at Milton Keynes Coachway, Manchester Airport & Central, Preston, Fulwood and Galgate)

Northwards Megabus M11:
D London Victoria: 1230
A University Underpass: 2035
8h05m
(stops at Birmingham, Manchester (Shudehill) and Preston)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (297)
34.18%
No (572)
65.82%

Watched Threads