NomTheDestroyer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, really struggling on question C1.9 which is as follows:
A high voltage wire for transmission of electricity across the country is made of 10 aluminium wires (resistivity of 2.5×10−8Ωm) wound together with 15 copper wires (resistivity of 1.5×10−8Ωm). If all of the wires have a radius of 2.0mm, calculate the overall resistance of 20km of cable to two significant figures. (The aluminium is there to give strength to the cable.)
Can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NomTheDestroyer)
A high voltage wire for transmission of electricity across the country is made of 10 aluminium wires (resistivity of 2.5×10−8Ωm) wound together with 15 copper wires (resistivity of 1.5×10−8Ωm). If all of the wires have a radius of 2.0mm, calculate the overall resistance of 20km of cable to two significant figures. (The aluminium is there to give strength to the cable.)
A critical question that you need to answer is: are the wires connected in parallel or series? I believe once you know the answer to this question, the rest are just "normal" calculations where you can calculate the resistance of each wire using the resistivity, cross-sectional area and length. Just make sure the units match.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
A critical question that you need to answer is: are the wires connected in parallel or series? I believe once you know the answer to this question, the rest are just "normal" calculations where you can calculate the resistance of each wire using the resistivity, cross-sectional area and length. Just make sure the units match.
That's not a question to ask - they are obviously in parallel.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NomTheDestroyer)
You can treat all the wires of the same material as a single one with the combined cross sectional area.

Calculate the resistance of each material, and then calculate their resistance in parallel
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
That's not a question to ask - they are obviously in parallel.
Actually, what you think is obvious, may not be some students in the beginning.
NomTheDestroyer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
Thanks, I guess I just couldn't spot that (the thing about the strengthening threw me off). I've managed to complete it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (21)
45.65%
No, they should still go ahead (11)
23.91%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (14)
30.43%

Watched Threads