The Student Room Group

Should you use critics in A Level English Lit AQA?

I do AQA Eng Lit Spec A…my teacher has never taught me to use critics quotes or critical perspectives. I understand this is a relatively new course structure, so could anyone enlighten me?
It's not mentioned in the Assessment Objectives….
I did spec B so I’m not 100% but yes, in your coursework you should use at least 5 quotes from critics! In class essays and exams they’re really just a bonus if you can remember them but as you say, they’re not listed in the AOs so even though I guess they could contribute to context, don’t worry about forcing them in
Original post by redscarlett
I do AQA Eng Lit Spec A…my teacher has never taught me to use critics quotes or critical perspectives. I understand this is a relatively new course structure, so could anyone enlighten me?
It's not mentioned in the Assessment Objectives….

I don't think specific critics are necessary - you don't have to name drop anyone unless you are familiar with them already / they are significant figures in their field. However, if I was applying a feminist lens to literature, I might name drop someone like Simone de Beauvoir or Mary Ellmann, but only because I am familiar with their approaches to feminism and because they are known critics. I could equally refer to a feminist interpretation more broadly (without explicitly naming a critic), commenting on a writer's reaction to patriarchy, for example. What you don't want to do is recite someone else's theory for five lines without focussing on your interpretation.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending