Northern Ireland NHS Bursary for AHP's/Health Professionals

Watch
Tilly421
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently studying Podiatry at University of Ulster and have heard about an NHS bursary. I know that the Northern Ireland bursary is different from the English bursary but I have absolutely no idea how to apply or see if I'm eligible for it. Asking for advice from anyone who has received the bursary
Linda Lin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi , sorry I couldn’t answer your question and I am wondering the same. I got an offer for podiatry in Ulster this September and try to apply for student finance. I was told during application that I could only apply for a maintenance loan as there’s bursary available but there’s no option to apply, very confusing. How is podiatry course like? All the best
podcat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tilly421)
I'm currently studying Podiatry at University of Ulster and have heard about an NHS bursary. I know that the Northern Ireland bursary is different from the English bursary but I have absolutely no idea how to apply or see if I'm eligible for it. Asking for advice from anyone who has received the bursary
Hi, The NHS bursary is for England and the Northern Ireland bursary is through the DHSSPS. You will be entitled to the NI one
Linda Lin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by podcat)
Hi, The NHS bursary is for England and the Northern Ireland bursary is through the DHSSPS. You will be entitled to the NI one
Hi , thanks so much for your reply, I have been searching for information in a circle, may I ask how and when should I apply ?
Tilly421
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linda Lin)
Hi , sorry I couldn’t answer your question and I am wondering the same. I got an offer for podiatry in Ulster this September and try to apply for student finance. I was told during application that I could only apply for a maintenance loan as there’s bursary available but there’s no option to apply, very confusing. How is podiatry course like? All the best
Hey! Thank you for the reply

I checked the nidirect website recently since making this post a while ago and they have updated the information available. It seems like the bursary isn't something you apply for, but rather something you get contacted about after you have applied for student finance. This backs up what my course colleagues had mentioned.
It is also very unclear about the household income threshold to receive the bursary. I have heard £43k and £50k thrown around but I am not totally sure.
Essentially the only thing we can really do now is apply to student finance and hope to get a call from someone offering the bursary. Personally I don't think its fair the way they cap the amount we can borrow at 1.8k annually because we might get a bursary, as they don't know everyone's circumstances. I would have much rathered to take the full 3k or so offered to every other student 🤷*♂️

Sorry I can't shed more any light on the matter as I'm in the dark too 😂

If you have any questions about first year podiatry at UUJ let me know as I would love to help! 😁
Linda Lin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tilly421)
Hey! Thank you for the reply

I checked the nidirect website recently since making this post a while ago and they have updated the information available. It seems like the bursary isn't something you apply for, but rather something you get contacted about after you have applied for student finance. This backs up what my course colleagues had mentioned.
It is also very unclear about the household income threshold to receive the bursary. I have heard £43k and £50k thrown around but I am not totally sure.
Essentially the only thing we can really do now is apply to student finance and hope to get a call from someone offering the bursary. Personally I don't think its fair the way they cap the amount we can borrow at 1.8k annually because we might get a bursary, as they don't know everyone's circumstances. I would have much rathered to take the full 3k or so offered to every other student 🤷*♂️

Sorry I can't shed more any light on the matter as I'm in the dark too 😂

If you have any questions about first year podiatry at UUJ let me know as I would love to help! 😁
Hi , it’s to hear from you who’s doing the course, I am really struggling making choices between nursing and podiatry. I am 40 years old mother and working full time, i used to be a nurse but had a long career break for nearly 12 years, for my age and family commitment, podiatry suits me better however like you mentioned the financial help is not as clear as nursing. I have applied student finance and the only thing is maintenance loan and during the process it mentioned as I may entitled to some government grant and that’s all . I searched Ulster website it guides me to ni direct and to student finance and nothing there. I believe it’s hard to spend your first year in this trying time, hope you enjoy it. Would you suggest me some information regarding jobs after graduation, thanks again.
Tilly421
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linda Lin)
Hi , it’s to hear from you who’s doing the course, I am really struggling making choices between nursing and podiatry. I am 40 years old mother and working full time, i used to be a nurse but had a long career break for nearly 12 years, for my age and family commitment, podiatry suits me better however like you mentioned the financial help is not as clear as nursing. I have applied student finance and the only thing is maintenance loan and during the process it mentioned as I may entitled to some government grant and that’s all . I searched Ulster website it guides me to ni direct and to student finance and nothing there. I believe it’s hard to spend your first year in this trying time, hope you enjoy it. Would you suggest me some information regarding jobs after graduation, thanks again.
Hi, I have sent you a private message to your questions as to not confuse myself with replies to this forum
gypsysunrouge
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could you please PM me details.I am quite confused as I am single mother but just been told I am only entitled to maintenance loan. They said I have to ring university about nhs bursary but I can not find any information on how much this even is
Linda Lin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by miriamrowsome)
Could you please PM me details.I am quite confused as I am single mother but just been told I am only entitled to maintenance loan. They said I have to ring university about nhs bursary but I can not find any information on how much this even is
Pm sent
ashannei
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I am starting podiatry in september at UUJ... also hi Miriam if you're the same Miriam that was on my Access course at BMC
I think I got to the bottom of the NHS bursary situation. You have to apply through student finance NI which you can do online if you are applying for the repayable maintenance loan also.
If you don't want the maintenance loan, you need to print out the application form and fill it in. It's a bit different to the online form because it allows you to say that you don't want the maintenance loan, whereas if you did that on the online application it would delete your application from the system. To get the NHS bursary you have to make yourself known to student finance NI through the application form; they will not automatically contact you.

For full time undergraduate students it's the PN1 form you need if printing: https://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/f...raduate-forms/
ashannei
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry I should have said - Student Finance NI told me to do the above to apply for the NHS bursary; I am not applying for a maintenance loan so posted a paper form. I then received a letter to say they are processing the application. No word at the moment on the income threshold or the amount you can receive though...
gypsysunrouge
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey ashleigh 👋😅
They got back to me finally and said that they do the NHS bursary separately (after applying to student ni like Ashley's has said) because it is a different computer system. Also that the government had not released how much we would be entitled to yet so no idea how much we will be getting till August. Not very helpful to be honest because don't know how it is going to be financially but just the way it is. Also you would think they would be more clearer to students about the process
Last edited by gypsysunrouge; 11 months ago
ACasement
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello I'm starting qub in a few weeks for nursing. I am very confused with the bursary situation in Northern Ireland. On the qub website it say that all bursary based courses aren't entitled to a student finance such as a maintenance loan or grant. I am a single independent student that is moving Belfast to be closer to my studies. What dose this mean? Am I going to be struggling financially 😭 I know that the standard bursary isn't that much. Can anyone shad some light on this matter
Bkelly748
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ACasement)
Hello I'm starting qub in a few weeks for nursing. I am very confused with the bursary situation in Northern Ireland. On the qub website it say that all bursary based courses aren't entitled to a student finance such as a maintenance loan or grant. I am a single independent student that is moving Belfast to be closer to my studies. What dose this mean? Am I going to be struggling financially 😭 I know that the standard bursary isn't that much. Can anyone shad some light on this matter
the government has done away with 'bursaries' and replaced them essentially with grants or so I'm told. I'm doing nursing in England and i was told to apply for the NHS LSF. im not sure if this is applicable for northern Ireland though. further up this thread has the name of the business that sorts NI bursaries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (125)
27.29%
England (165)
36.03%
Belgium (33)
7.21%
Germany (43)
9.39%
Spain (10)
2.18%