The Student Room Group

Chelsea F.C. Thread IX

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom.Ford
£60/65m is a lot of money but with Raphinha you are getting PL proven quality with great stats in a bad team. You look at the league and there aren't many better than Raphinha in that position. I don't know why we didn't just pay the asking price last week but I guess the board are content with Saka and Pepe. With Raphina, he is the top 2-3 in the position.

Unfortunate really.

He passes the eye test and he’s a good player, but as a backup for a top quality team. I guess that means Chelsea won’t be signing Sterling.

Raphinha also works hard off the ball.

A few levels below Salah, Son, Diaz, Jota, Mahrez etc. I’d even take Jarred Bowen over him in the Premier League as he’s more of a goal threat.
Original post by Driving_Mad
He passes the eye test and he’s a good player, but as a backup for a top quality team. I guess that means Chelsea won’t be signing Sterling.

Raphinha also works hard off the ball.

A few levels below Salah, Son, Diaz, Jota, Mahrez etc. I’d even take Jarred Bowen over him in the Premier League as he’s more of a goal threat.

Spot the Liverpool fan
Reply 1482
Raphinha fits our team more than Ziyech I think.

I think in big games the ability to use him on the counter and to have a nice left footed option there would be good.

Him on the right and Mount on the left is a good duo. Pace, directness and that ability to deliver balls in. I hope we don't buy a striker and just use Havertz/Werner/Broja for the season imo. I like that Tuchel said he wants to see him in pre-season before letting him go on loan.

If we do use Werner in a makeweight deal for De Ligt would be totally the wrong option. I think we won't sell Pulisic for now and thankfully this means we do not buy Dembele, injury prone wingers are the stuff of nightmares. I think we should go for Gnabry as a sensible option if we want another winger, although I'm not fussed with Sterling either. I think he's a top player when you look at his record but he doesn't have De Bruyne pulling the strings. Reminds me, need a creative genius in that 8 position.

I would have liked Bowen but West Ham won't sell lmao, would be extortionate prices, Grealish went for 100M and Bowen's probably been better than Grealish when he was at Villa. How much you think he's going for? We're going to overpay on Rice as it is.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bj27
Raphinha fits our team more than Ziyech I think.

I think in big games the ability to use him on the counter and to have a nice left footed option there would be good.

Him on the right and Mount on the left is a good duo. Pace, directness and that ability to deliver balls in. I hope we don't buy a striker and just use Havertz/Werner/Broja for the season imo. I like that Tuchel said he wants to see him in pre-season before letting him go on loan.

If we do use Werner in a makeweight deal for De Ligt would be totally the wrong option. I think we won't sell Pulisic for now and thankfully this means we do not buy Dembele, injury prone wingers are the stuff of nightmares. I think we should go for Gnabry as a sensible option if we want another winger, although I'm not fussed with Sterling either. I think he's a top player when you look at his record but he doesn't have De Bruyne pulling the strings. Reminds me, need a creative genius in that 8 position.

I would have liked Bowen but West Ham won't sell lmao, would be extortionate prices, Grealish went for 100M and Bowen's probably been better than Grealish when he was at Villa. How much you think he's going for? We're going to overpay on Rice as it is.

I would say he's a better fit than Ziyech but I don't think he matches his ability to whip balls in like Ziyech can from time to time. Not yet anyway. Anyway, I'm glad we've finally got a player who can beat multiple players and drive the ball forward. Sterling next is very likely from what I've seen aswell but unless we're switching to 4atb I have no idea why there's not as much priority on CBs. I know there's talks for De Ligt but what happened to Kounde who was practically in London last month?

Bowen wouldn't be anywhere near Grealish's price tag despite having the better season. He just isn't as hyped as Grealish was. Saying that you can always trust West Ham to scam whoever tries to make a move for him.
Tbh if Raphinha is going to Chelsea does that mean CHO is now free to go to Arsenal?!

In all seriousness, it all depends on how well Raphinha fits in and his output statistically.. I don't believe Barca has the money for him but its pretty obvious that he is waiting for Barca and his agent is just dicking around.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tom.Ford
Tbh if Raphinha is going to Chelsea does that mean CHO is now free to go to Arsenal?!

In all seriousness, it all depends on how well Raphinha fits in and his output statistically.. I don't believe Barca has the money for him but its pretty obvious that he is waiting for Barca and his agent is just dicking around.

At this point every player we've had strong links with is getting sniped by every club. Just waiting for the first game to see who we field tbh but it's not looking good
Blame the new owners. Imagine being desperate to sign for a broke club instead of Chelsea. Wouldn't have happened under Roman.
Reply 1487
Original post by Zerforax
Blame the new owners. Imagine being desperate to sign for a broke club instead of Chelsea. Wouldn't have happened under Roman.

srs fam, I think blessing in disguise tho if CHO and Pulisic can stay fit.
Original post by bj27
srs fam, I think blessing in disguise tho if CHO and Pulisic can stay fit.

Don't worry, you'll be playing Raheem Sterling.
Reply 1489
Don't worry, you'll be playing Raheem Sterling.

I like sterling for the most part so this isn't an insult.
Original post by bj27
I like sterling for the most part so this isn't an insult.

In some ways surprising that Man City willing to sell to Chelsea. Maybe Man City see you as threatening as Arsenal? (sold Jesus to them)
Reply 1491
In some ways surprising that Man City willing to sell to Chelsea. Maybe Man City see you as threatening as Arsenal? (sold Jesus to them)

Na it's because we will spend the most money for these players who have a year left on their contract and have reduced gametime. Would be foolish to let them be unhappy and go on frees, Haaland and Alvarez are their replacements. 2 in 2 out basically. Same with Phillips replacing Fernandinho. Now for older players above 30 like Aguero/Fernandinho/Toure/Kompany he lets them go on frees instead

They can't sell to anyone lower in the league as they won't accept being out of Europe but they can't sell to other leagues because they'll pay in installments over 20 years like Barcelona lmao.

I would say that Pep knows something we don't but I think he just wants new players to keep the squad fresh. If he could he would have sold these players to Bayern. You think Klopp is selling Mane to Chelsea?
(edited 1 year ago)
Former England international Danny Drinkwater has been speaking to Sky Sports

following his release by Chelsea.

He says he feels like he "threw five years away" having sat on the sidelines for most of his time at Stamford Bridge, after joining from Leicester in 2017.

"I'm relieved, because it's clear it wasn't a situation that was good for me or the club," he said.

"I'm angry because of how it's gone and how I was treated - not bitter though, what ifs. It was a long time coming."

Didn't complain about the paychecks though!
Original post by bj27
Na it's because we will spend the most money for these players who have a year left on their contract and have reduced gametime. Would be foolish to let them be unhappy and go on frees, Haaland and Alvarez are their replacements. 2 in 2 out basically. Same with Phillips replacing Fernandinho. Now for older players above 30 like Aguero/Fernandinho/Toure/Kompany he lets them go on frees instead

They can't sell to anyone lower in the league as they won't accept being out of Europe but they can't sell to other leagues because they'll pay in installments over 20 years like Barcelona lmao.

I would say that Pep knows something we don't but I think he just wants new players to keep the squad fresh. If he could he would have sold these players to Bayern. You think Klopp is selling Mane to Chelsea?

Man City will cook their books anyway whether leave on free or not. Although ~100mil for Sterling and Jesus with a year left each is obviously sound business in that sense.

Yea I guess that makes sense. Not like had much option and only English clubs in for big fees.

Nah I don't think Liverpool would've sold in England as the main priority is top 4 so Chelsea and others are all competitors (so why strengthen them). Man City obviously expect to win the PL and the main priority is CL trophy.
Former England international Danny Drinkwater has been speaking to Sky Sports

following his release by Chelsea.

He says he feels like he "threw five years away" having sat on the sidelines for most of his time at Stamford Bridge, after joining from Leicester in 2017.

"I'm relieved, because it's clear it wasn't a situation that was good for me or the club," he said.

"I'm angry because of how it's gone and how I was treated - not bitter though, what ifs. It was a long time coming."

Didn't complain about the paychecks though!

Angry with how he was treated ?! He was charged for drink-driving, got into fights in a nightclub, headbutted his teammate Jota at Aston Villa, and chose to stay at Chelsea when they made it clear he wasn’t part of their plans ?

He’s a prime example of the type of character you don’t want in the dressing room.
Sterling done and what's Barca playing at with all these transfer talks when they haven't even paid off wages
What is the aim for Chelsea fans this season, all the top 6 will be aiming to be competitive, even Manchester United ?
Reply 1497
Original post by GrandMedic
Sterling done and what's Barca playing at with all these transfer talks when they haven't even paid off wages

Serious they're just waffling. I see is getting raphinha now since Barcelona can't afford. Also no idea why they are again trying to buy more attackers?

Depay auba ansu Fati Dembele(if he ever renews) torres yet they want raphinha and Lewandowski. I'm forgetting one or two players as well.

Mismanagement of a club at its finest and it's just continuing.

I respect arsenal because despite having a pe teacher he's lowered that wage bill right down and brought in quality players in the process. Barcelona are doing the exact opposite.

I like how clubs actually focus on keeping wages under check. Real forced Bale and got rid of Ronaldo for that reason.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bj27
Serious they're just waffling. I see is getting raphinha now since Barcelona can't afford. Also no idea why they are again trying to buy more attackers?

Depay auba ansu Fati Dembele(if he ever renews) torres yet they want raphinha and Lewandowski. I'm forgetting one or two players as well.

Mismanagement of a club at its finest and it's just continuing.

I respect arsenal because despite having a pe teacher he's lowered that wage bill right down and brought in quality players in the process. Barcelona are doing the exact opposite.

I like how clubs actually focus on keeping wages under check. Real forced Bale and got rid of Ronaldo for that reason.

It really doesn't make sense. They need to take some time to rebuild again rather than trying to instantly get back to the golden era. TV rights, merchandising, they don't have much left to sell. I'm not complaining to be honest, they should be able to take Azpi and Alonso off our hands.
I thought Barca were only able to use a fraction of sales proceeds to spend on more players? Aren't they meant to be servicing that ridiculous debt?

They asked De Jong to defer a huge portion of his wages and now they don't want to pay him that while also selling him to Man Utd. The club is such a mess.

Sterling must be Italian.. not often you get players in this league who will play for 3 top teams (Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea for him). Usually they don't sell to rivals.

Quick Reply

Latest