The Student Room Group

Chelsea F.C. Thread IX

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj27
Barkley ****ing bad.
This ain't reactionary when I say this.
Sell Barkley,
Give Cech a playing contract, go back to the late 90s with Gullit and Vialli(seriously though buy a keeper).
We still need a CB. Christensen was doing a joke ting but he's been well since coming back so I attribute today to just a bad game.
Alonso only performs in big games.
Willian on his good form spree again.

Left Back also needed.
Abraham ain't suited to buses and until he sorts this out will struggle to become an elite player.
Or if all else fails we can just buy Sancho and deal with the defence later.

🤣 Cech only retired a year ago and he’s been playing in goal for an ice hockey team I believe so I’m sure the reflexes are still good. **** it, he can’t be worse.

Get Havertz, Tagliafico and a top CB. Sell Barkley, Alonso, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Michy.

You know what even Ake can’t be bad at this point but I’d lean towards a Thiago Silva type signing. We badly need leadership.

Willian always plays well when in contract negotiations or in this case, trying to find a new club but I ain’t mad. Let him do his thing and find another good club.
Last night probably shows why you won't be title challengers next season. There is quality there but consistency is not there yet and that takes time to build, assuming the likes of Man City/Liverpool are racking up points totals up to and around 100 points for the league title.

If it was more like 82-88 points for the title, I think you guys would be in the mix next season with all the new signings. But I think it will take Lampard a season to bed everyone in to get that consistency you need over 38 games to get over 90 point tally. I think it's only like 10-12 teams who have achieved 90+ points in the league?
Reply 162
Original post by Zerforax
Last night probably shows why you won't be title challengers next season. There is quality there but consistency is not there yet and that takes time to build, assuming the likes of Man City/Liverpool are racking up points totals up to and around 100 points for the league title.

If it was more like 82-88 points for the title, I think you guys would be in the mix next season with all the new signings. But I think it will take Lampard a season to bed everyone in to get that consistency you need over 38 games to get over 90 point tally. I think it's only like 10-12 teams who have achieved 90+ points in the league?

We got over 90+ points tally the season after getting 50 points and coming 10th. That doesn't mean anything.
Toon toon black and white army
Original post by bj27
Agreed on first part. I think going forward though if Pulisic keeps up this form, Werner + Ziyech are solid too we aren't much different from United even if they bought Sancho. Werner probably top 3 forwards in the Bundesliga (Lewandowski and Sancho maybe ahead but it's tight between Werner and Sancho) and Ziyech from his CL exploits is clearly a ****ing baller. Reminds me a lot like Mahrez but with better deliveries.

Yeah I would like someone like Gaya, although we have quietly signed players, we're linked to a host of forwards then BAM! we're in advanced stages for someone. Werner while we were linked came out of nowhere and while I wanted Ziyech to finally sort out that ****ing right wing position he came out of nowhere too. We were linked to Sancho. Havertz isn't super necessary, Mount+Loftus+Barkley can fill in the creative midfielder role decent enough and I hate to say it, but we should keep Willian and use the money saved to buy a defender. Kepa I think he could be replaced but only with absolute quality. I don't have time for a middle of the road goalkeeper. Also now we happen to be not doing nonsense defensively (interesting that this coincides with no Jorginho btw, Gilmour also played in that 6 position and we got clean sheets vs Liverpool and Everton so it's not as simple as Kanté at DM) Kepa seems like a decent keeper. I think he clearly was suited more to Sarri ball and just passing to Luiz who does the god level passing compared to Zouma e.g. who can't sort his feet out when a person is within 20m of him.

I think Abraham has been a good prospect, he changed the game against City and offers a lot going forward even if he is not scoring, he's not exactly Drogba but he works hard in the press, can hold up the ball. But for his first season at a top team he's on track for 15-20 goals. Lukaku e.g. got 15 league goals in his first season for United. I wouldn't count RLC as a prospect anymore though. We also have Reece James who's been good at times but obviously Azpilicueta is clearly doing the captains work so hard for RJ to go.

Anyway as a realistic assessment we're the third best team in the league, player wise we're probably 5th best(although probably 3rd/2nd best if we include our new signings and look at expected player progression due to young squad) but Spurs really ****ed **** up and United is pretty level with us. I think we can title challenge next season though.

1)

Swear to **** the right wing problem is something we both complained bout since 2013 / 2014 looool. Literally can remember countless number of posts.

2) Last night's game emphasises the paragraphs about defense. I can't even tell who I was more disappointed with. Rudiger with a lack of common sense to kick it forward, Christensen for being tepid as **** or Kepa for not having any football IQ whatsoever!

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but surely Frank can't say **** like them being taller than us, therefore it's hard to deal with them in the air. The average height between us is minimal ain't it? The fact that we're getting Chilwell who's average defensively and no CB linked is dumb af

3) we smashed everton 4-0 -- why are we not using that team sans Pedro for Pulisic? These are just shithouse tactics relying on individual brilliance Yesterday we didn't test the keeper from open...
Original post by bj27
We got over 90+ points tally the season after getting 50 points and coming 10th. That doesn't mean anything.

FML wrote up a long response but it didn't post it.

Basically 2014/15 side were also league winners, a number of whom were still in the 2016/17 side so they knew how to win.

The players going on strike to get Mourinho sacked was a big factor to 2015/16 being so poor.

Conte's new tactic of 3ATB also took the league by surprise in the 2016/17 points total of over 90 points. It got worked out the following season hence why you dropped back down to 5th.

This side is different - don't have as much past winning experience and more youngsters in the side. Serial winners like Pedro, possibly Willian, also leaving.

I think Chelsea will improve next season. You're currently on track for like a 65 point season. I can see you improving to points total into the 80s but I just think Liverpool/Man City will again post totals into the 90s.
Reply 166
FML wrote up a long response but it didn't post it.

Basically 2014/15 side were also league winners, a number of whom were still in the 2016/17 side so they knew how to win.

The players going on strike to get Mourinho sacked was a big factor to 2015/16 being so poor.

Conte's new tactic of 3ATB also took the league by surprise in the 2016/17 points total of over 90 points. It got worked out the following season hence why you dropped back down to 5th.

This side is different - don't have as much past winning experience and more youngsters in the side. Serial winners like Pedro, possibly Willian, also leaving.

I think Chelsea will improve next season. You're currently on track for like a 65 point season. I can see you improving to points total into the 80s but I just think Liverpool/Man City will again post totals into the 90s.

Tbh you guys look like you're nowhere near looking like getting a 90 point season next year mate. :smile:
Original post by bj27
new keeper needed

also ****ing rudiger man. he didn't need to put it out for a corner. no composure whatsoever.

I’ve seen reports from the papers this week that Jordan Pickford is Chelsea’s main target to replace Kepa this summer.

What on Earth would you want to do that for?!! :rofl:
Original post by bj27
Tbh you guys look like you're nowhere near looking like getting a 90 point season next year mate. :smile:

Yea I'm worried Liverpool are going to get relegated :rolleyes:
Reply 169
Original post by IanDangerously
I’ve seen reports from the papers this week that Jordan Pickford is Chelsea’s main target to replace Kepa this summer.

What on Earth would you want to do that for?!! :rofl:

what is the point of this.

literally no point. I'd take Dean Henderson though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 170
Yea I'm worried Liverpool are going to get relegated :rolleyes:

You said our game vs west ham was an indication for why we are not title contending level yet you guys just got battered by the team we schooled last week.

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾
Toon toon black and white army toon toon black and white army
Original post by bj27
You said our game vs west ham was an indication for why we are not title contending level yet you guys just got battered by the team we schooled last week.

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

More because while you've won 16 league games this season, the other 16 have ended in draws/losses (actually 10 losses).

I mean your win against Man City/loss against West Ham, if anything, further illustrates that Chelsea are still inconsistent.

We might have lost 4-0 last night, but we also beat Man City 3-1 earlier this season (when it mattered).
Original post by bj27
what is the point of this.

literally no point. I'd take Dean Henderson though.

Henderson’s still looking to get himself into the United squad so I don’t think he’s planning on moving this year. :smile:

Pickford has a slightly better clean sheet record than Kepa but it’s so marginal that it’s not worth the faffing around in the market. I dunno where the media have come up with it.
Reply 174
We don't need defenders next season. Messi is available on a free which means he gets a bigger contract at Barcelona

:dice:

Messi, Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic front 4 is the stuff of wet dreams mate.

If he goes to Turin though football is over. This is like Madara turning into the sage of six paths.
Reply 175
lol Pulisic getting penalties even better than Hazard was.
Pulisic is unreal man. What a player we’ve got. Not saying he’ll be a better footballer than Hazard but I feel he’ll definitely score more goals (from open play anyway)

Anyway, good team selection by Lampard today. Watford were gonna park the bus so no need for both Kova and Kante so he chose Barkley instead. That back line is what we should’ve been playing all season imo. Hopefully a comfortable win and maybe CHO, Gilmour and Ruben come on at some point too.
Reply 177
no Jorginho. interesting
Good to bounce back from the other night albeit only against relegation fodder. Willian has had something of a resurgence recently fair play, still wouldn't give him a new contract though.
Reply 179
think with this we need two more signings. going forward we're fine. maybe a midfielder to replace barkley. my opinion on him hasn't changed and if Willian goes replacement for him. CB and LB and probably a keeper if a GOOD one is available. gtfo with that Pickford talk. Dean Henderson would be nice otherwise would check another league.

Pulisic being a beast at drawing fouls and ripping up players in general, if he keeps consistent at this we got a player. How mount got motm yesterday and not Pulisic is beyond me but whatever really, he's clearly important to our team and theres no coincidence that him being out affected our midfield Vs west ham.

Id put out same team next game personally unless any player is tired. I would like to see loftus cheek get a start so he can showcase his ability to drive and break the press, at the moment he's coming on and playing a bit safe for me, which I get because of his injury and playing 20mins a game but still.

I'd start Giroud again and play Abraham Vs Sheffield United.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest