Extra time in exams is a joke.

Watch
alexradcliffe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I understand some people may need extra time in order to have equal opportunity to do well / get the grade they deserve,
but in its current state I feel the system is massively flawed. Anyone can receive extra time, and to be frank it is a cheat code in its own right.
Within English exams, in particular, I feel this added 25% or even 50%+ (on top of the 2hour ish exams) leads to those who are not necessarily as good at English as others receiving higher grades.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
Take as long as you want to read this and re-read it, but I must say I am not in the position of receiving extra time in exams because of “slow processing”.
Last edited by alexradcliffe; 1 month ago
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alexradcliffe)
I understand some people may need extra time in order to have equal opportunity to do well / get the grade they achieve,
but in its current state I feel the system is massively flawed. Anyone can receive extra time, and to be frank it is a cheat code in its own right.
In English, in particular, I feel this added 25% or even 50%+ (on top of the 2hour ish exams) leads to those who are not necessarily as good at English as others receiving higher grades.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
Take as long as you want to read this and re-read it, but I must say I am not in the position of receiving extra times in exams because of “slow processing”.
No, not everyone can get extra time, you have to get assessed to get it and meet strict criteria with evidence to back your case up.
Yazomi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree like during my English exam even when I know I was terrible I still tried my best and do what I can and I also knew that I would do better if I had extra time but I wasn’t in need of it as in I just can’t write as fast.
So I just find it extremely unfair for those who do get extra time and come out with A or A* like what...
hwpo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree! So many people in my school did badly on the assessment on purpose to get extra time. It's actually not fair. They openly admit they faked it as well.
sam72016
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I understand some people may need extra time in order to have equal opportunity to do well / get the grade they achieve,
In English, in particular, I feel this added 25% or even 50%+ (on top of the 2hour ish exams) leads to those who are not necessarily as good at English as others receiving higher grades.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
Take as long as you want to read this and re-read it, but I must say I am not in the position of receiving extra times in exams because of “slow processing”.
I completely agree with you. I don't do English but at my college it's so easy to get extra time. You just have to 'fake' doing badly in the aptitude test they give you and your automatically assigned extra time, no questions asked. About 15% of our exam hall is full of 'extra time' students who don't even need extra time and it makes you feel helpless against them
17summerellc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i have. a visual impairment and recieve extra time i do agree it is handed out excesively but for me to access the papers that are modified i do need this time hhowever i am predicted a 9 in maths
17summerellc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i am visualy impaired but i am predicted 7s 8s and 9s at GCSE do you thinki should get extratime? i am genuinely curiousasitis an interesting discussion
Felix.lxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree that it is handed out rather excessively. However I do get extra time as I am diagnosed with quite severe anxiety and the majority of the first half of any exam I do is pretty much redundant due to having a panic attack/ excessive shaking. I rarely use my extra time as I generally finish early anyway, but it’s there should I need it due to a panic attack or another related issue.
On the other hand, at my school I know people who deliberately flunked the aptitude test in order to get extra time, there was easily 40+ people who had it and most had no medical grounds or other pressing reason to have it.
alexradcliffe
Rep:
?
Under those circumstances extra time is an absolute necessity!
What I failed to mention, and the issue that does trouble me, is those who achieve primarily 8s and 9s at GCSE (so are clearly not only academic but also very capable) but then go on to be awarded extra time in preparation for their A levels.
I would like to reiterate that for some extra time is of paramount importance, but it is the few who wrongfully receive added time that have led to me creating this thread.
Once again, I’d like to clarify that I do not myself receive extra time- and I absolutely agree that there are individuals who deserve extra time- but what bothers me is those who take the test and easily get away with the bonus of extra time.
Last edited by alexradcliffe; 1 month ago
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi! 3 weeks before exams began I was hospitalised due to grand mal seizures, the medication they prescribed made me extremely groggy and I could barely remember simple facts without thinking about it for a few solid seconds. I got extra time because I needed it due to the side effects of my medications, and so I wouldn’t be disadvantaged for forgetting what I was writing mid sentence
Last edited by mpaprika; 1 month ago
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I said I have mental health.
So I got given an Extra hour
😛
Earthisround
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol I got 50% extra time you just have to complete only a few questions and leave the rest blank. It’s been put down to processing speed I think.
Last edited by Earthisround; 1 month ago
sentry_going_up
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know this will get a very negative reaction, but I don't see the point in extra time at all. In real life you don't get extra time so why should one become accustomed to getting it at a young(ish) age? Everyone should sit the same exam in the same amount of time and the results are the results, however unlucky they may be.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I understand some people may need extra time in order to have equal opportunity to do well / get the grade they deserve,
Within English exams, in particular, I feel this added 25% or even 50%+ (on top of the 2hour ish exams) leads to those who are not necessarily as good at English as others receiving higher grades.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
Take as long as you want to read this and re-read it, but I must say I am not in the position of receiving extra time in exams because of “slow processing”.
50% Pah. We have had 100% extra time with rest breaks.

They don't just hand them out like sweets. There are hurdles to jump through.

I do grumble, though. A canny candidate would be able to game rest breaks in some subjects - reads English essay, "Ahem, I need a rest break" *thinks about it, whilst all the other suckers have to run their clock down whilst thinking* "I'd like to start now", 30 minutes more time than my foolish brethren.

You wouldn't be able to do that for a science paper. Harrumph.
17summerellc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Felix.lxx)
I agree that it is handed out rather excessively. However I do get extra time as I am diagnosed with quite severe anxiety and the majority of the first half of any exam I do is pretty much redundant due to having a panic attack/ excessive shaking. I rarely use my extra time as I generally finish early anyway, but it’s there should I need it due to a panic attack or another related issue.
On the other hand, at my school I know people who deliberately flunked the aptitude test in order to get extra time, there was easily 40+ people who had it and most had no medical grounds or other pressing reason to have it.
same at my school
alexradcliffe
Rep:
?
//I feel some of my replies don’t make sense as I have replied to specific messages yet they are fragmented and don’t target my desired reply.//
However,
I feel my point has been conveyed.
I don’t want to be mis-construed as obnoxious or ignorant, as like I have tried to emphasise: there are lots of people who without a doubt, 100% deserve the additional time.
It is just those who mis-use the system for self-gain. If you have any sort of genuine issue, be it mentally or physically or any other form- then yes. You probably do deserve the extra time.
The individuals that are capable of completing the exam under the same time constraints as everyone else is what this is aimed at... not that anything can be done as it is too late. Perhaps I’m just trying to achieve an even playing ground for future candidates. How noble of me to sacrifice myself for them...

Any enquiries, then shoot.
17summerellc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sentry_going_up)
I know this will get a very negative reaction, but I don't see the point in extra time at all. In real life you don't get extra time so why should one become accustomed to getting it at a young(ish) age? Everyone should sit the same exam in the same amount of time and the results are the results, however unlucky they may be.
what about if your like me and can’t read the exam like my peers as it is too small also employers are legaly obliged to make “reasonable arangements” for disabled people b
Last edited by 17summerellc; 1 month ago
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure what schools/universities you guys are going to but I needed to fight tooth and claw to get the extra time I was entitled to. :dontknow:
5hyl33n
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m glad OP you created this thread as I agree! For example, some people have such bad handwriting but still get extra time! And even a laptop! Perhaps, I would’ve gotten a 9 instead of an 8 in English if I had permission for the above! I believe if you have bad handwriting, the student should make an effort to reform it, not get a laptop handed to them instead.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TBH I think the system for this is a bit broken as well. All for people being given assistance they need to compete fairly.....but at my college and uni special treatment does seem to be handed out rather liberally, had a couple where students just sitting an exam under normal conditions were the minority.

I do wonder about some of these people, as several only get through their qualification by pretty much having their hand held the whole way and if left to their own devices would totally fail, so it can be a bit galling to know their qualification has the same value at the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads