nabz1231
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm meant to be sitting my gcse economics exams in three months, and I just can not do that subject. Im predicted mostly 6's and 7's however predicted a 3 for economics and a 5 for maths. I do not care about economics as for my future i want to focus on science and do science A-levels, so economics will be no help, and i rather use the time to focus on getting a 7 in maths. I know that if i focus on my economics it will drop my other subjects to a 4/5 , I have mentally dropped economics, and so i don't want to be entred for the exam, this way I would not have to walk around with a grade 3 with the rest of my subjects being 6's and 7's, for the rest of my life. Do you think my teachers would understand if i speak to them about this, or will they force me to do it, including economics i have 9 GCSE's and so it would only drop down to 8, and for most Universities I'm pretty sure you only need 5 GCSE's. Is my argument reasonable, would it be able to persuade my teacher, if not what else can I say to persuade her, because I really hate economics!
2_versions
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have never heard of dropping a GCSE, but you could always just (and I am not persuading or encouraging this, just what I would do) breeze through lessons and exam, with little to no revision.
Just remember that you will have to live with the U grade forever, and it may impact other things, such as how jobs (especially your first jobs) view your application, especially since economics is such a useful skill to have.
I do empathise with you though lol, I'm half-way through changing A-Level economics to Law, just because of how tedious it is
My advice? just try to revise and answer as much as you can - you may surprise yourself! Push through it and watch some YT videos on basic concepts - or ask for help! I can give you some limited advice if you need it
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
dropping a GCSE would mean that they didn't have it on their certificate - as they wouldn't be registered for it.
Personally, I'd say it depends on what you want to do later on. If you have no plans for medicine/dentistry or Oxford, I'm sure you'd be fine with 8 GCSEs. It's just that for some of the more competitive courses the average successful applicant has a higher number of GCSEs
nabz1231
Rep:
?
The thing is I have tried revising it and I just can’t get myself to, and I don’t want to be walking around with a U either, so I thought if I drop it and not get entered for an exam at least this way I won’t have to walk around with a U and universities would never know I even bothered with economics. For the past two years I’ve just been breezing through the lessons, and I just feel that I can make more use of this time!

(Original post by 2_versions)
I have never heard of dropping a GCSE, but you could always just (and I am not persuading or encouraging this, just what I would do) breeze through lessons and exam, with little to no revision.
Just remember that you will have to live with the U grade forever, and it may impact other things, such as how jobs (especially your first jobs) view your application, especially since economics is such a useful skill to have.
I do empathise with you though lol, I'm half-way through changing A-Level economics to Law, just because of how tedious it is
My advice? just try to revise and answer as much as you can - you may surprise yourself! Push through it and watch some YT videos on basic concepts - or ask for help! I can give you some limited advice if you need it
nabz1231
Rep:
?
Hmm. Well my plans for the future was medicine, and that’s why I wanted to focus on achieving higher in maths and science, I was planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology at A-levels. As far as I was aware dropping economics would have no impact on my future plans?😩

(Original post by _Mia101)
dropping a GCSE would mean that they didn't have it on their certificate - as they wouldn't be registered for it.
Personally, I'd say it depends on what you want to do later on. If you have no plans for medicine/dentistry or Oxford, I'm sure you'd be fine with 8 GCSEs. It's just that for some of the more competitive courses the average successful applicant has a higher number of GCSEs
Kane M. Gordon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nabz1231)
Hmm. Well my plans for the future was medicine, and that’s why I wanted to focus on achieving higher in maths and science, I was planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology at A-levels. As far as I was aware dropping economics would have no impact on my future plans?😩
Quick word of advice.

Dropping GCSE Economics wouldn’t affect this and for most, not all, GCSE aren’t evaluated by medical schools. For those who do, if you go to Medical School, Economics won’t be looked at. They want to know your basic competence. I.e. Eng Lang, Maths and Sciences.

You will be required to study Chemistry as a must to get in Medical School.

For All Medical Schools to consider you, do: Chemistry, Biology and (Maths or Physics) or Psychology

But be careful with Psychology as some schools don’t consider it a Science at A Level

For around 90%, IMO, do: Chemistry, Biology and One other academic subject

For around 70%, IMO, do: Chemistry, Maths or Physics and one other academic subject.

To conclude, Chemistry is a must. Biology is a near must, most school will want Biology. Maths and Physics make you look better even though some schools don’t specify this. If a school asks for Bio, Chen and 1 other scientific subject be careful with Psychology as some don’t regard it as a Science.
blueberrybowl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don’t focus on the content then, just don’t turn up to the exam or sit there and do nothing
nabz1231
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kane M. Gordon)
Quick word of advice.

Dropping GCSE Economics wouldn’t affect this and for most, not all, GCSE aren’t evaluated by medical schools. For those who do, if you go to Medical School, Economics won’t be looked at. They want to know your basic competence. I.e. Eng Lang, Maths and Sciences.

You will be required to study Chemistry as a must to get in Medical School.

For All Medical Schools to consider you, do: Chemistry, Biology and (Maths or Physics) or Psychology

But be careful with Psychology as some schools don’t consider it a Science at A Level

For around 90%, IMO, do: Chemistry, Biology and One other academic subject

For around 70%, IMO, do: Chemistry, Maths or Physics and one other academic subject.

To conclude, Chemistry is a must. Biology is a near must, most school will want Biology. Maths and Physics make you look better even though some schools don’t specify this. If a school asks for Bio, Chen and 1 other scientific subject be careful with Psychology as some don’t regard it as a Science.
Thank you. However I do want to study psychology mostly because i enhoy the concept, and i won't be able to do two years of maths or physics. In regards of economics right now, i was sure that it wouldn't affect my medical school either, so it has no purpose in my future plans. I might just speak to my teacher and see what she says, i just feel that they won't listen, and would say something like "its too late" or "you cant drop a subject"
Rolo1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nabz1231)
Thank you. However I do want to study psychology mostly because i enhoy the concept, and i won't be able to do two years of maths or physics. In regards of economics right now, i was sure that it wouldn't affect my medical school either, so it has no purpose in my future plans. I might just speak to my teacher and see what she says, i just feel that they won't listen, and would say something like "its too late" or "you cant drop a subject"
Ivs got 7 gcses, just do it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads