Plagiarism, first year student, first assignment

Watch
Mconnell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so I recently I had my first assignment which was a literature review on drama therapy - I'm a first year student currently at a conservatiore studying acting. I left the assignment quite last second as I had literally no clue how to write the literature review - I'd never done one before and also really had no clue how to proper harvard reference and cite (I know already sizing up for a massive fail). I got an email the other day from my lecture saying it was being reviewed for plagiarism and my heart sank. I know the essay was badly constructed and I really did just rush through it to get it over and done with - I had trouble finding articles i understood on the topic and was really bouncing between multiple sources online and from books to try and string together paragraphs.I did end up writing sentences that closely resembled others but most of the work is essentially my own, but you can tell I don't really know what I'm on about. I never of course would of intentionally plagiarised the work and you can tell from the essay as well that I wasn't correctly referencing properly - it's a clear fumble of an attempt. Everyone's told me to not worry, and that it was a first time mistake and that it won't be taken seriously as the lecture said the essay was to see where everyone was in their writing style and structure. I have a new essay due next week that I've already started on and am determined to show I can produce good quality work. I keep over thinking what will happen and getting really paranoid - was just looking to see any kinds of advice or direction to take; or if everyone's right and that I should just calm down.

Alot to read I know but thanks for reading.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mconnell)
Hi, so I recently I had my first assignment which was a literature review on drama therapy - I'm a first year student currently at a conservatiore studying acting. I left the assignment quite last second as I had literally no clue how to write the literature review - I'd never done one before and also really had no clue how to proper harvard reference and cite (I know already sizing up for a massive fail). I got an email the other day from my lecture saying it was being reviewed for plagiarism and my heart sank. I know the essay was badly constructed and I really did just rush through it to get it over and done with - I had trouble finding articles i understood on the topic and was really bouncing between multiple sources online and from books to try and string together paragraphs.I did end up writing sentences that closely resembled others but most of the work is essentially my own, but you can tell I don't really know what I'm on about. I never of course would of intentionally plagiarised the work and you can tell from the essay as well that I wasn't correctly referencing properly - it's a clear fumble of an attempt. Everyone's told me to not worry, and that it was a first time mistake and that it won't be taken seriously as the lecture said the essay was to see where everyone was in their writing style and structure. I have a new essay due next week that I've already started on and am determined to show I can produce good quality work. I keep over thinking what will happen and getting really paranoid - was just looking to see any kinds of advice or direction to take; or if everyone's right and that I should just calm down.

Alot to read I know but thanks for reading.
Go to the librarian or study support and ask to attend or see the plagiarism rules. No excuse from not making an attempt to know them.
You need to understand how it works.
You dont have time to avoid or mess about if you need to get this weeks essay in.

The other will take care of itself and if you show you are taking measures to learn and avoid the offence then that will help.
Knowing the rules will give you a better understanding of what you can and cannot do.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my uni we were made to take a referencing class befkre we submitted a report. It was part of our course to make sure we all knew how to do it to their standards.

Is there a class like that you can take?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
In my uni we were made to take a referencing class befkre we submitted a report. It was part of our course to make sure we all knew how to do it to their standards.

almost all unis have free advice available for this, often in the library or online course, this requires a small amount of initiative from students tho (if its not given in the degree)..
Mconnell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bio 7)

To my knowledge, no there was no such class - from searching my university website and phone app I've only found links to various tutorial videos. I've of course watched them all now and have a better understanding but of course that should of been something I really did at day one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads