Liberty13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m about to choose my gcse options and so far I’m taking geography and Spanish, I have one more space to fill and I don’t know whether I should do history or art. If anyone has any advice please help me 😂😭 thank youuuu
n4yeem
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Liberty13)
I’m about to choose my gcse options and so far I’m taking geography and Spanish, I have one more space to fill and I don’t know whether I should do history or art. If anyone has any advice please help me 😂😭 thank youuuu
hello. i do history. it all depends on what you enjoy and if you think you will get a good enough grade. history involves a lot of writing and studying sources which is long but if u like dat kind of stuff then u can do it. idk bout art
InspiredPleb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History opens more doors but you've pretty much covered all basis with geography and a language anyway. I've heard history is really challenging academically, but if you're ok with that it seems really interesting - your workload won't be unmanageable regardless, as geography despite it's large content is quite easy. Art , it all depends on your technical skill , and it's VERY challenging motivation - wise. You need to be on your a - game with not procastinating, and do all your coursework in time and with good quality, otherwise it will be a huge time sink in Y11 (source : my stressed Art friends who messed about for the past 2 years! ). It just comes down to which one you're better at, and which you'd like more.
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History. I do both and Art takes up so much time. History's actually interesting too and isn't too long once you get to know the content.
anrandomguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Liberty13)
Definitely a couple of things to consider here (I'm gonna try and be more objective cuz most people are answering entirely based on their own experiences which may well be different to the ones that you will have):

- Do you have a personal preference (this is definitely the most important thing to consider)? If so then you should definitely choose the subject you're more passionate about to avoid becoming bored halfway through the course.

Looking at the subjects individually:
- History is certainly a more academic subject - you can expect to have to write a lot of essays and learn a lot of content, so if that's something you think you wouldn't enjoy then consider carefully whether or not history is the right subject for you. The final exam (I think it depends on the board you go with) tends to be in the form of a couple of papers which require fast and well-written responses which show a breadth of historical knowledge combined with in-depth analysis.
- Art on the other hand is obviously a far more creative subject. It does however still require some writing in the form of analysis of other artists' work and your own. It also probably requires a little more work - while with history you can expect workload to increase slowly throughout the course, in art you can expect a sustained level of work throughout. However, the big plus of taking art is that once you finish the 10h exam in May (where you have to create an artwork based on work you've already done), you won't have to do any exams in the summer term, so you'll have completely finished one subject before anyone else has even had their first exam (ignoring oral exams in languages).

- I think history is might be a more interesting subject overall.
- The practical nature of art might be a nice change of pace in comparison to all of the writing and learning of other subjects.

- Finally, if you have any ideas about what you want to do in the future then you should also consider whether either of these subjects will specifically benefit this goal in the future. Naturally if whatever you want to do is humanity based (eg. journalism, politics, geography etc.) then history might be a better choice. However, in general, I believe art is a better choice - it tends to have more applications and creativity is also regarded fairly highly - something obviously demonstrated in having an art GCSE.

Hope some of this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (21)
75%
No (4)
14.29%
Not sure (3)
10.71%

Watched Threads