Can you create a keyboard shortcut to type greek letters on an English keyboard?

Watch
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know if it's possible to create a keyboard shortcut on Microsoft Word to allow you to type greek letters and other symbols e.g. Δ,β, µ, α or where to find an external USB keyboard which would allow you to type it?

It's a bit of an annoyance to have to either copy and paste the characters or manually click on 'insert symbol'. :P
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Does anyone know if it's possible to create a keyboard shortcut on Microsoft Word to allow you to type greek letters and other symbols e.g. Δ,β, µ, α or where to find an external USB keyboard which would allow you to type it?

It's a bit of an annoyance to have to either copy and paste the characters or manually click on 'insert symbol'. :P
Like this? https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Enab..._Your_Keyboard
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are there not alt codes? I use alt codes for diacritics with Sanskrit and Pāli
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Quite possibly! I’ll give it a try tomorrow morning! thanks
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Are there not alt codes? I use alt codes for diacritics with Sanskrit and Pāli
Is that the same as what threeportdrift has proposed?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is that the same as what threeportdrift has proposed?
No, that is even better, and I didn't know about it!
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Install the language you want (Greek in this case) and press windows key + space to change to it
Shimo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Use LaTeX, I started using it about a year ago and it's made typing everything so much easier. I type all my papers and even notes up in it, it's delightful to use. Overleaf is easy to use and you can save everything online. Typing greek characters is as easy as \delta.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (13)
72.22%
No (3)
16.67%
Not sure (2)
11.11%

Watched Threads