Should I be concerned about my friend?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a friend at university who I go on a lot of nights out with and will be living with next year. I have recently become concerned about his mental health as he has previously told another of our friends that he used to self harm and recently he said something similar. When my friend approached him about this sober, he shut it down and said he’s fine. However, he has recently started doing a lot of drugs and he does them dangerously, e.g most of the time they are off random strangers in club toilets. He also sleeps with a lot of people that he meets on online dating apps, sometimes one every night. He got very drunk the other day and told my friend that he feels lost and unhappy and that drugs and sex help him cope. He has not said any of these things to me and when he is sober he is super happy and just laughs them off. I’m not sure how to approach him or whether I even should considering he hasn’t actually said these things to me before. I’m concerned that he is depressed and only coming on nights out to try and mask his unhappiness, I’m even worried that I’m being a negative influence by going on two nights out a week with him. What should I do?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a friend at university who I go on a lot of nights out with and will be living with next year. I have recently become concerned about his mental health as he has previously told another of our friends that he used to self harm and recently he said something similar. When my friend approached him about this sober, he shut it down and said he’s fine. However, he has recently started doing a lot of drugs and he does them dangerously, e.g most of the time they are off random strangers in club toilets. He also sleeps with a lot of people that he meets on online dating apps, sometimes one every night. He got very drunk the other day and told my friend that he feels lost and unhappy and that drugs and sex help him cope. He has not said any of these things to me and when he is sober he is super happy and just laughs them off. I’m not sure how to approach him or whether I even should considering he hasn’t actually said these things to me before. I’m concerned that he is depressed and only coming on nights out to try and mask his unhappiness, I’m even worried that I’m being a negative influence by going on two nights out a week with him. What should I do?
All you really can do is show that you care and that you're there for him. You can't make someone talk to you especially if they're continuously denying things. But yes, his behaviour does sound concerning. Try and be there for him, but also make sure you look out for yourself too. Don't take on too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (21)
72.41%
No (4)
13.79%
Not sure (4)
13.79%

Watched Threads