iamamye20
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I just want to give a bit of background before I ask a question...

During year 11 (Northern Ireland) my teachers had told me that I would benefit from doing foundation double award science instead of higher and our whole class was told this and none of us were allowed to do higher and at this point I was developing a passion for medicine and it kind of disheartened me as there wasn’t a choice in doing higher and I thought there was no chance of me ever being able to do it (kind of stupid when I think back). It did knock my confidence down which then had stopped me from giving my full potential in exam season and I came out with UDDDCC* in the first half of my GCSE modules and I was disappointed but it reflected the amount of effort I put in.

Because of this I did put work in so I wouldn’t be disappointed again and in Year 12 I sat the second half of my modules and resat all exams I did the year before and came out with BBBC*C*C*C which I am really happy with as again it reflects the amount of work I put in which could have been a greater amount but I have to accept it now. Highest grade I could have achieved in science was 2C*s and I did but I know a lot of medical schools won’t care about this. With a lot of persuasion this year (Year 13) I am now studying A level Biology, Maths and Health and Social Care, chemistry wasn’t an option and maths and biology are taught at another school where I am transported to each day. My teachers strongly advised me against the choices I made but I know what I want and I know my ability and I am still looking over all my options. I feel like I am at a disadvantage because of my school and options I was given but I’m not blaming it all on them as I could have done a lot better. This year I am also resitting my Unit 2 science modules from GCSE to achieve higher and I feel like I am putting too much pressure on myself? I know some medical courses won’t accept resits so is it worth it? Am I better to do another course at Uni and then do grad med? The only problem with this is I feel like I’d be taking someone else’s place on a course they are passionate in and I’m not? Would I be able to do a gateway medicine course? I’m unsure if my school is underachieving and have no way to check online? Foundation courses won’t accept me because of my GCSEs? Are there any more options for me?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iamamye20)
... I know some medical courses won’t accept resits so is it worth it?
18+ med schools accept resits.

Am I better to do another course at Uni and then do grad med?
Just so you are aware, graduate entry medicine is much more competitive than standard entry medicine.

The only problem with this is I feel like I’d be taking someone else’s place on a course they are passionate in and I’m not?
A lot of people do biomedical sciences etc. with the aim to enter GEM.

Would I be able to do a gateway medicine course? I’m unsure if my school is underachieving and have no way to check online? Foundation courses won’t accept me because of my GCSEs? Are there any more options for me?
You'd have to check the eligibility criteria yourself. Some foundation courses are designed for applicants from a certain area, others are designed for "wrong A-Level subjects". Do some research! If all else fails, email the med schools.
iamamye20
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
You'd have to check the eligibility criteria yourself. Some foundation courses are designed for applicants from a certain area, others are designed for "wrong A-Level subjects". Do some research! If all else fails, email the med schools.
If I was applying at the end of this year/start of next year would medical schools still take into consideration that I haven’t resat the second half of my modules but understand that I am working towards achieving the target grades or would they not consider me at all as I don’t have those grades at the time?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iamamye20)
If I was applying at the end of this year/start of next year
You can't apply at the start of next year, the UCAS deadline for Medicine (alongside Dentistry and Oxbridge) is always 15th October every year.

would medical schools still take into consideration that I haven’t resat the second half of my modules but understand that I am working towards achieving the target grades or would they not consider me at all as I don’t have those grades at the time?
If they were considering you, they may give you a conditional offer (i.e. you have to achieve those grades to get in).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (187)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (197)
16.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (117)
9.67%
Isolating with family (85)
7.02%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (46)
3.8%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (103)
8.51%
Loneliness (118)
9.75%
Financial worries (52)
4.3%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.36%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (106)
8.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed