I wasn't ready for uni, went for the wrong reasons, and messed it up. What can I do?

Watch
ditnu1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

So like so many people (it seems), I went to uni because that's what people do, not because it's what I wanted to do. Already I was a little older when I went (21), but it wasn't old enough. People always said to follow your interests, so I did anthropology as I always enjoyed the humanities, but when it came down to it, there was very little to the subject for me. I ended up staying for 3 years (repeating my second year once), and never got my degree. It was a big waste of time really, however I was going through a lot of things in my life, and I did need it.

Now I am older (25), and I am starting to think more carefully about what I want and what I could achieve from life. I feel as though I have three options.

1) Complete my b.a. in anthropology by applying for mental health issues, and then do a masters in something I am interested in

2) Try and do a different course somehow (I'm not fully sure what I want to do)

3) Try and find my own way elsewhere

I really don't like my options, I feel like I don't know what I want, but I know I want something. This world isn't set up for people who don't know from an early age exactly what they want from life, which is a shame.

I really appreciate anybodies help
cyber1995
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The fact that you have sort of plan is a start.

I'm 24 and I've learnt that what you plan for isn't always what's going to happen. You just need a plan to get you somewhat even if at the end it's not what you expect. You'll always regret the things you didn't do. You are doing things. Far ahead of the game. Some people become so paralysed by the thought of having to choose something out of everything. It's not what you choose it's what you make of it.

I hate that there's this ecpecyaitom to know what you are doing and where you are going. When life dosn't work like that. Right now you are young, make as many mistakes as possible and learn from them. It's the only way you're going to get to the thing that you really want to do. Just pick one plan and give it 100%. If you find out it's not your thing, then you're at least one step closer to knowing what you wanna do.

I wish someone told me this and explained this cliche quote fully. Life is really all about the journey because once you get to the destination, there are no more lessons to be learnt.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is it that you want to study?
ditnu1
Rep:
?
Thanks, I appreciate your answer and it has helped to cement in my mind what my reality is. What you described is exactly my situation, and my solution. I just wish it was easier to get there.
ditnu1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
What is it that you want to study?
I was thinking it would be good to become something useful, and do a hands-on type of job... Perhaps a paramedic, or maybe a councillor.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ditnu1)
I was thinking it would be good to become something useful, and do a hands-on type of job... Perhaps a paramedic, or maybe a councillor.
Do you have enough money to work as a counsellor (i assume you mean talking with people rather than being a politician)? Healthcare looks like it could be a great option. Have you done any research? I think there are some decent funding options, you just need to see what you need to do to get onto the courses, and to get some experience to make sure you are on the right path.
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
finish ur degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads