Alpha13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, if anyones gotten an interview for the EMDP, HOW are you prepring for it and for how long each day (+ for how many days) please?
tsdz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of my friends has an interview - she's just going through her work experience diary, linking what she saw and her feelings at the time to the NHS values and good qualities of a doctor, such as compassion, empathy, confidentiality, respect, etc. Looking at any extracurriculars she's done and what she's learnt from her job - responsibility and teamwork and linking that to being a doctor. She sets aside about an hour a day for it, sometimes less than that, not that much because rehearsing a perfect answer won't impress them, you'll just sound like a robot.

Make sure to read up on news articles on BBC Health and the BMJ so that helps in the group task. Re-read your personal statement and see how you can develop what you wrote - guaranteed there's something you only mentioned briefly in your personal statement because of the word count, but you can develop on in your interview. King's really focus on your personal statement so make sure you know it inside out. There's a lot you can talk about with only a couple of things. It's all about quality, not quantity.
Alpha13
Rep:
?
(Original post by tsdz)
One of my friends has an interview - she's just going through her work experience diary, linking what she saw and her feelings at the time to the NHS values and good qualities of a doctor, such as compassion, empathy, confidentiality, respect, etc. Looking at any extracurriculars she's done and what she's learnt from her job - responsibility and teamwork and linking that to being a doctor. She sets aside about an hour a day for it, sometimes less than that, not that much because rehearsing a perfect answer won't impress them, you'll just sound like a robot.

Make sure to read up on news articles on BBC Health and the BMJ so that helps in the group task. Re-read your personal statement and see how you can develop what you wrote - guaranteed there's something you only mentioned briefly in your personal statement because of the word count, but you can develop on in your interview. King's really focus on your personal statement so make sure you know it inside out. There's a lot you can talk about with only a couple of things. It's all about quality, not quantity.
Thank you so much for this! But what do you mean by in the 'group task' I thought Kings didn't have a group task.
Also, they said that the interviewers wouldn't have read your personal statement so they could therefore not ask direct questions from there. Is that right?
tsdz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alpha13)
Thank you so much for this! But what do you mean by in the 'group task' I thought Kings didn't have a group task.
Also, they said that the interviewers wouldn't have read your personal statement so they could therefore not ask direct questions from there. Is that right?
I'm not sure since I haven't done a King's interview, but you do need to read up on news articles anyway so it can link to your 2-on-1 interview and any other stations.

Again I don't know about that, but if they don't ask you direct questions and ask you something about your extracurriculars or work experience, link to what you've mentioned in your personal statement. Just say 'in my personal statement I mentioned how I observed X during my work experience, which made me feel...' etc. Always link in your personal statement, your feelings, any wider reading you've done and ethical guidelines/NHS values. Not for every point you make but whatever's relevant to the question. King's have a whole section on their website about how they use the personal statement in the selection procedure, so don't completely disregard it:

'Your personal statement is one of the many factors in the overall assessment of your application. We are looking particularly for evidence of appropriate commitment to, and realistic appreciation of, the academic, physical and emotional demands of a medicine degree programme and career. We would normally expect that you will have undertaken some work experience in a caring environment and/or observation in a Medical clinical setting. If this is not possible, we look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public, eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant.

Communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team are of great importance. We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school or college life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.

Your interests, achievements and contribution to your community are taken into account in addition to academic ability. We aim to ensure that all of our students can cope with the heavy academic workload of the programme and display those professional qualities, skills and attitudes that help to make competent and caring medical professionals.

We would expect your application to be strongly supported by your referee both in terms of academic achievements/potential and in terms of your character and suitability for medicine.'
Alpha13
Rep:
?
(Original post by tsdz)
I'm not sure since I haven't done a King's interview, but you do need to read up on news articles anyway so it can link to your 2-on-1 interview and any other stations.

Again I don't know about that, but if they don't ask you direct questions and ask you something about your extracurriculars or work experience, link to what you've mentioned in your personal statement. Just say 'in my personal statement I mentioned how I observed X during my work experience, which made me feel...' etc. Always link in your personal statement, your feelings, any wider reading you've done and ethical guidelines/NHS values. Not for every point you make but whatever's relevant to the question. King's have a whole section on their website about how they use the personal statement in the selection procedure, so don't completely disregard it:

'Your personal statement is one of the many factors in the overall assessment of your application. We are looking particularly for evidence of appropriate commitment to, and realistic appreciation of, the academic, physical and emotional demands of a medicine degree programme and career. We would normally expect that you will have undertaken some work experience in a caring environment and/or observation in a Medical clinical setting. If this is not possible, we look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public, eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant.

Communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team are of great importance. We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school or college life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.

Your interests, achievements and contribution to your community are taken into account in addition to academic ability. We aim to ensure that all of our students can cope with the heavy academic workload of the programme and display those professional qualities, skills and attitudes that help to make competent and caring medical professionals.

We would expect your application to be strongly supported by your referee both in terms of academic achievements/potential and in terms of your character and suitability for medicine.'
Yup okay, thank you so much for taking the time to look this up. x
tsdz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alpha13)
Yup okay, thank you so much for taking the time to look this up. x
No problem x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads