sia1432
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I'm doing Foundation IB grade 10 right now and I have to choose my subjects for IB. I was wondering if this combination will be good for studying Law in the UK

HL English Language and Literature
HL Economics
HL Global Politics

SL Chemistry
SL Math Analysis and Approaches
SL French

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Should i consider taking history HL (not very enthusiastic about it tho!)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Law has no required subjects and any combination would be suitable. You could take two sciences and maths to HL and it would be fine - you would have more essay writing background than an A-level student taking all STEM subjects, and they are readily accepted by law courses up to and including at Oxbridge.
sia1432
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Law has no required subjects and any combination would be suitable. You could take two sciences and maths to HL and it would be fine - you would have more essay writing background than an A-level student taking all STEM subjects, and they are readily accepted by law courses up to and including at Oxbridge.
I want to keep my choice of courses at University in the UK open so do you think that this combination satisfies requirements for Journalism, Some Economics courses that don't require HL Math, International Relations and Law.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sia1432)
I want to keep my choice of courses at University in the UK open so do you think that this combination satisfies requirements for Journalism, Some Economics courses that don't require HL Math, International Relations and Law.
There are very few economics courses that don't require HL Maths - because economics as a degree is fundamentally mathematical. If you wouldn't be happy doing the kind of maths you would do in HL Maths most if not every day of your degree, you shouldn't consider economics. If you are interested in economic phenomena but not inclined to do mathematics, then you may find something in the politics vein more suitable, since economic matters necessarily inform (and are informed) policy matters, but you don't necessarily need to develop first hand the relevant economic theory. As for the other courses, none of them have any specific subject requirements (just as law) so any combination is suitable.
sia1432
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There are very few economics courses that don't require HL Maths - because economics as a degree is fundamentally mathematical. If you wouldn't be happy doing the kind of maths you would do in HL Maths most if not every day of your degree, you shouldn't consider economics. If you are interested in economic phenomena but not inclined to do mathematics, then you may find something in the politics vein more suitable, since economic matters necessarily inform (and are informed) policy matters, but you don't necessarily need to develop first hand the relevant economic theory. As for the other courses, none of them have any specific subject requirements (just as law) so any combination is suitable.
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (243)
33.75%
No (477)
66.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise