The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation Advice?

Hi, I've recently received an offer for politics and IR at UoM, and now I'm trying to work out what accommodation I'd like to live in if I do end up attending. Right now I'm leaning more towards Victoria Park as Fallowfield seems a bit too far from the campus for me, and I've heard City social life is almost nonexistent due to the large amount of international students (nothing against them, I'm from the US so I'd be one too lol). Basically what I'm looking for is a reasonable distance from the main campus and a somewhat decent but not too intense social scene, and from what I've read Victoria Park seems like the best fit. Ideally, I'd like to be self-catered and ensuite (although if I absolutely had to I would be willing to go catered), and right now the three halls I am most interested are Burkhardt, Liberty Park, and Canterbury Court. Which of these halls is the best? Are they even any good? What other halls might be good options for me to consider? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Liberty park was nice
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by lkalm
Hi, I've recently received an offer for politics and IR at UoM, and now I'm trying to work out what accommodation I'd like to live in if I do end up attending. Right now I'm leaning more towards Victoria Park as Fallowfield seems a bit too far from the campus for me, and I've heheard City social life is almost nonexistent due to the large amount of international students (nothing against them, I'm from the US so I'd be one too lol). Basically what I'm looking for is a reasonable distance from the main campus and a somewhat decent but not too intense social scene, and from what I've read Victoria Park seems like the best fit. Ideally, I'd like to be self-catered and ensuite (although if I absolutely had to I would be willing to go catered), and right now the three halls I am most interested are Burkhardt, Liberty Park, and Canterbury Court. Which of these halls is the best? Are they even any good? What other halls might be good options for me to consider? Thank you! :smile:

Hey well done on your offer I also got an offer for Actuarial Science and I am planning on going to Manchester if I dont get into LSE.My top choices for accommodation at the moment is Denmark road,Unsworth Park, Liberty Park and Weston hall.Thing is all ive heard so far is Denmark roads not sociable full of international people(nothing against them) but except for that its really close to campus. Unsworth Park ive heard is much more sociable but that's all Ive heard for now.Also I know I definitely want self catered and en suite but yeah I haven't even visited Manchester yet I do have an offer holder day in March.
Reply 3
Hello! I'm also an international student, got an offer to Politics and Sociology. Are you guys already applying for accomodation? I thought you had to accept your offer first and then apply, ah I'm super lost. I was actually thinking of Victoria Park as well, it's a super nice place and it's not that far away from uni like Fallowfield, but I haven't really really gotten into reading about each hall as my other choices haven't even answered me yet, so I'm kind of holding back.
Hey ,you do have to accept the offer first but I know that if I don’t get LSE Manchester is definitely my firm so I’m just starting to think about accommodation but I can’t accept the offer yet because LSE Haven’t replied to me
Hey! I hope this isn't too late, but I lived in Liberty Park until March for my first year and absolutely loved it. I've responded to quite a few people in these threads so I've just copy and pasted the information but I hope you find it helpful! If there's anything else you want to know just ask and I might be able to help!

There were only three of us in the flat (all girls), and I got on really well with one of them, and well enough with the other. Almost all of my friends also lived there as flats often open up to anyone for pres - they were both in flats of four (two boys and two girls). We often went to the flat above or below one of theirs, and the group chat was used a lot for organising social events between flats, so you do manage to get by without any common spaces (although it is annoying, it didn't affect my experience in any way).

The security at Liberty is something I really liked. There's a security guard at the main gate 24/7 and CCTV. Your key fob is used three times to get into your flat (once at the main gate, once at your block door and once at your flat door), and then a separate key to open your room door. Only your fob (and your flatmates') can open your flat, so there's no way anyone who didn't live there could get into even the main courtyard, let alone your flat. There's also a car park in the main courtyard that is accessed through a separate car gate, which is also fob operated.

It's about a 10-15 minute walk to main campus, and you can easily walk into the city centre in 30-40 minutes. We took the bus or uber to Fallowfield, as there's a bus stop right outside which can take you either to Fallowfield or the city centre every ten minutes. The location is super convenient, with three shops within a ten minute walk and a Tesco Express at the petrol station next door. There's also a Travelodge just up the street for family/friends to stay. The area isn't the nicest, but we never witnessed anything that made us feel unsafe. It's also not far from the other Victoria Park accommodations (just round the corner).

Obviously the cleanliness of the flat depends on you and your flatmates. There is no cleaner that comes in every week as in other accommodations, as it is privately rented by Manchester Uni. The only areas that get cleaned by staff are the halls, stairs, lifts and laundry room. Our space was always kept clean because there was fewer of us in the flat, which is a benefit of having less flatmates. The kitchen/lounge space is one of the nicest I've seen in any accommodation - super modern and light. The bedroom furniture is also really modern and nice. Everything had been freshly cleaned, painted and replaced when I first moved in, and some things were also replaced/fixed during term time and holidays.

Also think it's important to mention that the reception, maintenance and security staff are wonderful. Receiving parcels and post and reporting breakages was always really easy, and everything got fixed or replaced within days. I absolutely loved my time at Liberty, and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending