Sleep paralysis?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I had this weird experience last night. I don’t know if I was already sleeping or still trying to sleep but it felt like I was conscience. I couldn’t move get up or even move a muscle and my vision started shaking and I saw scary faces. I couldn’t shout for help or anything and my vision kept on switching from the faces to my normal vision like I was trying to control my own body and not let them try possess me.

I’m scared that I might experience this again. Has anyone experience sleep paralysis and was what I experienced sleep paralysis? I’m 17 and this is the first time that it happened to me.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do all of us experience sleep paralysis at least once in their life?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had this weird experience last night. I don’t know if I was already sleeping or still trying to sleep but it felt like I was conscience. I couldn’t move get up or even move a muscle and my vision started shaking and I saw scary faces. I couldn’t shout for help or anything and my vision kept on switching from the faces to my normal vision like I was trying to control my own body and not let them try possess me.

I’m scared that I might experience this again. Has anyone experience sleep paralysis and was what I experienced sleep paralysis? I’m 17 and this is the first time that it happened to me.
Sleep paralysis is something a lot of people will experience once or twice, but usually won't experience frequently (although it can be a symptom of various conditions).

It's just that your body is still asleep while your brain is starting to wake up. Your body always paralyses itself while you sleep to make sure you don't act out your dreams and roll out of bed or punch your sleeping partner. Nothings wrong, just a little out of sync for a moment. You'll be able to move again soon and anything you see is just bits of dream sneaking in.

One of the worst things about sleep paralysis is the fear that can come with it. If it does ever happen again try to remind yourself that you're just half asleep and nothing is wrong. Chill out, try to think happy thoughts and wait it out. You'll be fine.

But there's a good chance you won't experience it again or at least not for a long time. If it does happen more than a few times it could be worth seeing GP about it and having a think about when it happens (is it when you've not had much sleep, after eating loads of cheese etc). They might be able to help reduce it.
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's much more likely to happen if you sleep on your back. Sleep on your side instead. Even if it does occur on your side, it's nowhere near as bad. You just have to remember what is happening and not panic.

In the olden days they had a belief that you weren't supposed to sleep on your back because you'd be attacked by deamons.
Da14a
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sleep paralysis is the best (if you are prepared)!!
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sleep paralysis and other things that happen in sleep such as nocturnal panic attacks and night terrors are not particularly common in the general population, but far more common in those with mental health conditions or with narcolepsy (for sleep paralysis). They aren't talked about very much which doesn't help. As said previously for these reasons if it did happen again or two or three go and see the doctor.

I've experienced sleep paralysis and other things multiple times. It's more likely to happen when sleep deprived or very stressed (also my experience).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.68%
No (648)
65.32%

Watched Threads