14yalamanchilig
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
when should you do the step end of year 12 or 13?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
STEP stands for Sixth Term Examination Paper, and for entry to university is typically taken in year 13.
There are 3 papers:
STEP I is on A Level Maths content.

STEP II is on AS Level Further Maths content.

STEP III is on A Level Further Maths content.
14yalamanchilig
Rep:
?
I do know that but is it advisable for year 12 to take the exams(all 3 as I have finished maths and most further maths a-level syllabus currently working through all the modules)
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No, tke it in Year 13.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 14yalamanchilig)
I do know that but is it advisable for year 12 to take the exams(all 3 as I have finished maths and most further maths a-level syllabus currently working through all the modules)
Very few people do this. The few I've seen that achieved good grades (though all of them I've seen exceeded the standard offer) in STEP received an offer only conditional on A-levels - which would be for all intents and purposes unconditional for someone of that calibre. More do just STEP I at the end of Y12 but probably still very few.
14yalamanchilig
Rep:
?
what are the usual "standard offers " in terms step from Warrick and Durham for bachelors maths and masters math
14yalamanchilig
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
No, tke it in Year 13.
my school suggested me to take it this year as I am ready...
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
what are the usual "standard offers " in terms step from Warrick and Durham for bachelors maths and masters math
If you're considering doing STEP I/II/III all in Year 12 and realistically looking at 1s you should be looking at Cambridge, no? That was what I meant but I assume Warwick/Durham are similar.

Standard offer for Warwick with STEP is A*A*A + 1 in STEP.

Durham's offer is A*AA + 1 in STEP or suitable performance in MAT/TMUA. (while I assume at this level you'll be mainly looking at C/O firm [if you get an offer], W/I insurance some do choose to go elsewhere)
Last edited by _gcx; 9 months ago
14yalamanchilig
Rep:
?
by 1 in step do you mean just step paper 1
Last edited by 14yalamanchilig; 9 months ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh sorry. Warwick and Durham ask for a 1 in any paper. For most people this would be STEP I, but if you took all three and had a bad day and got like, 211 in I/II/III, this would also meet their offer.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
gcx had explained the offers, but I'm thinking maybe you haven't even looked at the grading system. The possible grades for STEP (from best to worst) are S, 1,2, 3, unclassified. https://www.admissionstesting.org/fo...g-and-results/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (310)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads