The Student Room Group

Can't choose between 2 unis

Hey!

I'm really torn between 2 universities :frown:

I prefer the department and campus at one university, but the atmosphere and the city at another.

Really don't know how to make the decision, please help!
Have you been to visit both unis?

It's a very personal choice and really depends what you think is the most important. The feel/atmosphere makes a difference when you know you're going to spend 3 years there, but it also depends how much worse you think the department/facilities are. Having good academic support at uni makes a huge difference, so if you have doubts that one uni is likely to provide such support (you can also check the NSS, national student survey, results) then you might want to pick the other...
Reply 2
Original post by lesad_mick
Have you been to visit both unis?

It's a very personal choice and really depends what you think is the most important. The feel/atmosphere makes a difference when you know you're going to spend 3 years there, but it also depends how much worse you think the department/facilities are. Having good academic support at uni makes a huge difference, so if you have doubts that one uni is likely to provide such support (you can also check the NSS, national student survey, results) then you might want to pick the other...

I've visited both for applicant days and was much more attracted to the university where I preferred the dept. and campus, however I'm just worried about nightlife, city etc. as the students at the other seemed to be more down to earth and have better craic.

I'll check out NSS results, that's a really good idea thank you :smile:
Personally, I'd choose the one where you prefer the department and campus- you'll probably be spending most of your time there, and the quality of your degree will be better. Go with your gut! Good luck :smile:
Original post by hanbanan7
I've visited both for applicant days and was much more attracted to the university where I preferred the dept. and campus, however I'm just worried about nightlife, city etc. as the students at the other seemed to be more down to earth and have better craic.

I'll check out NSS results, that's a really good idea thank you :smile:

I personally went to a uni that didn't have much rep for great nightlife and still had a great time, memorable nights out and a good laugh. Ultimately for me, it came down to my feeling from the uni open day visits!
Hey!

I'm really torn between 2 universities :frown:

I prefer the department and campus at one university, but the atmosphere and the city at another.

Really don't know how to make the decision, please help!

What courses and unis?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Personally, I'd choose the one where you prefer the department and campus- you'll probably be spending most of your time there, and the quality of your degree will be better. Go with your gut! Good luck :smile:

Original post by lesad_mick
I personally went to a uni that didn't have much rep for great nightlife and still had a great time, memorable nights out and a good laugh. Ultimately for me, it came down to my feeling from the uni open day visits!

Thanks for your advice :smile: I defo preferred one over the other on the applicant days. Maybe it's a case of spending a weekend there to see what the city and nightlife is like before I fully make up my decision, and if I don't absolutely hate it picking that one lol
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
What courses and unis?

Both for civil engineering, prefer the course at Birmingham and the city of Leeds
Both for civil engineering, prefer the course at Birmingham and the city of Leeds

Uni of Birmingham & uni of leeds?

Reputation and prospects wise they are both very similar. Both are in large cities although Birmingham is huge (over a million people...).

A quick look at the modules and they look broadly similar, Brum has pathways whereas leeds just has a variety of optional modules which you could effectively choose the ones in the same industry...

I would weigh up how much more you prefer the campus/city/student-life at leeds, if it is substantial then I would say go with Leeds as I think the courses will be fairly similar (and also you probably dont know which bits of the degree you'll enjoy yet, you'll figure this out as you go through it).

Both are really great unis, there is no bad decision. Ive had mates go to both Unis and they both seem great places to spend 3-4 years at uni!
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Uni of Birmingham & uni of leeds?

Reputation and prospects wise they are both very similar. Both are in large cities although Birmingham is huge (over a million people...).

A quick look at the modules and they look broadly similar, Brum has pathways whereas leeds just has a variety of optional modules which you could effectively choose the ones in the same industry...

I would weigh up how much more you prefer the campus/city/student-life at leeds, if it is substantial then I would say go with Leeds as I think the courses will be fairly similar (and also you probably dont know which bits of the degree you'll enjoy yet, you'll figure this out as you go through it).

Both are really great unis, there is no bad decision. Ive had mates go to both Unis and they both seem great places to spend 3-4 years at uni!

Haha I think that's what it is! I know I'd be happy at either of them I guess there's no way to know which I'd prefer until I'm there!

Thank you for putting a bit of research in, really do appreciate it :smile: I've noticed at Leeds the range of degrees is slightly broader as well, e.g. you can switch to 'civil and structural' or 'civil with transport' after your second year rather than just civil engineering which is nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending