RIP the 'Hero of Munich': Busby Babe Harry Gregg

Watch
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Words like 'hero' and 'legend' are often used to describe footballers, but this man truly deserved to be called both of those for his bravery:

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Harry Gregg, who survived the 1958 Munich air crash, has died aged 87. Gregg was often referred to as the 'Hero of Munich' after pulling passengers free from the burning wreckage. Gregg escaped from the burning wreckage but went back in and brought Vera Lukic, the pregnant wife of a Yugoslav diplomat, and her young daughter, Vesna, to safety. He returned to the plane and dragged out injured United pair Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet, and came to the aid of manager Matt Busby and fellow Northern Ireland international Jackie Blanchflower.

"I'm Henry Gregg, 34 Windsor Avenue, who played football. Who was useful at it on good days and rubbish at it on bad days," he said in 2008. "That's what I want to be remembered for - not something that happened on the spur of the moment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30383827
Last edited by Surnia; 1 month ago
JohnnyHK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Words like 'hero' and 'legend' are often used to describe footballers, but this man truly deserved to be called both of those for his bravery:

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Harry Gregg, who survived the 1958 Munich air crash, has died aged 87. Gregg was often referred to as the 'Hero of Munich' after pulling passengers free from the burning wreckage. Gregg escaped from the burning wreckage but went back in and brought Vera Lukic, the pregnant wife of a Yugoslav diplomat, and her young daughter, Vesna, to safety. He returned to the plane and dragged out injured United pair Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet, and came to the aid of manager Matt Busby and fellow Northern Ireland international Jackie Blanchflower.

"I'm Henry Gregg, 34 Windsor Avenue, who played football. Who was useful at it on good days and rubbish at it on bad days," he said in 2008. "That's what I want to be remembered for - not something that happened on the spur of the moment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30383827
RIP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (341)
34.8%
No (639)
65.2%

Watched Threads