Is it important to attend a University Open Day?

Watch
Poll: Is it important to attend a university open day?
Yes, I'd never apply to a uni without visiting first (6)
54.55%
Yes, but it isn't possible for me to go to open days (1)
9.09%
Maybe, it's important but I'd still apply to a uni if I couldn't attend (4)
36.36%
No, you can do all the research you need without attending open days (0)
0%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Making the choice to apply to uni is one thing, but how do you even begin to know if it's the right one to you? Open Days can be one way to scope out a uni before you go, with Universities running several a year.

When considering what university to apply to, did you think it was important to attend a Open Day? If you did, was price a factor in getting to and from the uni? Did this mean you could only attend a couple when you wanted to attend more, or did you make it a priority to attend? Or did you feel anxious about attending, not sure what to wear, or worried if you didn't you wouldn't be taken seriously as an applicant?

Or did you feel that you could do all the research you needed to from home? With accommodation virtual reality tours, pre-recorded campus tours and all the application info online now, is it necessary?

Let us know your thoughts!
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 1 month ago
mathstar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ABSOLUTELY! i definitely think that you should attend a university open day. this is so that you can get a feel of the university before you sign up and so that you can say wether you like the atmosphere or not. it's also a good way to research what the university is like hands-on and can actually speak to the professors and lecturers! there may also be taster sessions for each subject so it's a good idea that you go to the university open days because it will give you a better knowledge of the university than if you do research on the internet which will have someone else's view.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The university I ended up going to was the one that ‘felt right’ when I looked round - as cliche as it sounds, I think sometimes you do just get a feel for a place and fall in love with it!

However, I do think a large bulk of research can be done beforehand, which means when you do visit, you can focus on seeing the city and asking questions about things you can’t find online.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
It is absolutely crucial to physically come and visit all unis being considered.
To get a sense of the establishment's culture & atmosphere, view the buildings, meet the lecturers, see the technology facilities, talk to current students on the course, hear from few alumni and get a sense of the local area.
I accepted a postgrad place without visiting the uni first or speaking to alumni and lived to regret it.
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied to Cardiff without having seen it, but there's always the applicant day where you can see around it. I don't see a problem with it as long as you see some of them - otherwise you're kind of taking a huge risk!
K-Hale
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
Making the choice to apply to uni is one thing, but how do you even begin to know if it's the right one to you? Open Days can be one way to scope out a uni before you go, with Universities running several a year.

When considering what university to apply to, did you think it was important to attend a Open Day? If you did, was price a factor in getting to and from the uni? Did this mean you could only attend a couple when you wanted to attend more, or did you make it a priority to attend? Or did you feel anxious about attending, not sure what to wear, or worried if you didn't you wouldn't be taken seriously as an applicant?

Or did you feel that you could do all the research you needed to from home? With accommodation virtual reality tours, pre-recorded campus tours and all the application info online now, is it necessary?

Let us know your thoughts!
I remember doing Open Days as a road trip with friends. It was great fun. I also did a separate trip with family to visit the unis my friends weren't interested in seeing. I think it's hard for people who can't afford the travel costs. That's why teaming up with others who are already driving up can be a good option if you're into the same places.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (130)
29.89%
No (305)
70.11%

Watched Threads