spaceyartist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Okay, bit of backstory here. I have been sharing with four people for the past two and a half years. Last year, one of those people graduated and moved out, meaning the remaining four of us would be getting a new tenant. Our landlords found a new tenant, and moved him in with us. Unfortunately ever since he's moved in, life at the house has been a disaster. Him and a preexisting housemate hit it off (they're now in a relationship of sorts), and between the two of them they've caused havoc. The house is constantly unclean, the kitchen and living area is unuseable, they frequently get drunk and cause all manner of destruction (including but not limited to knives stabbed in tables, screaming fits at 2am in the morning, causing damage to furniture, yelling some *choice* slurs at me and the other housemates, etc.). It got to the point where we even called the police after one of these housemates made quote unquote "jokes" aka threats about hurting us following a particularly rough scenario. Both our university and advice from the police has been pushing for the eviction of the problem tenants, but our landlords have basically refused, suggesting that, following a visit by them, that they might behave better now (which so far has proven to be false hope), and that we should "devise a cleaning schedule and some ground rules" in order to fix the situation. We've tried this before and were basically ignored.

We're now considering moving to a new property because we're at our wits end, but we'd appreciate any advice or suggestions for this situation, or any experience from people who've dealt with difficult housemates before.
Last edited by spaceyartist; 11 months ago
username4952880
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by spaceyartist)
Okay, bit of backstory here. I have been sharing with four people for the past two and a half years. Last year, one of those people graduated and moved out, meaning the remaining four of us would be getting a new tenant. Our landlords found a new tenant, and moved him in with us. Unfortunately ever since he's moved in, life at the house has been a disaster. Him and a preexisting housemate hit it off (they're now in a relationship of sorts), and between the two of them they've caused havoc. The house is constantly unclean, the kitchen and living area is unuseable, they frequently get drunk and cause all manner of destruction (including but not limited to knives stabbed in tables, screaming fits at 2am in the morning, causing damage to furniture, yelling some *choice* slurs at me and the other housemates, etc.). It got to the point where we even called the police after one of these housemates made quote unquote
why did you call the police?
spaceyartist
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by emily_000)
why did you call the police?
Sorry, half the post got cut out for some reason, updated now
username4952880
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry, half the post got cut out for some reason, updated now
just move out (stay with the people that you are already know and you do like them). So if you are 3 people then find a house for 3 people , if you are 4 people then find a house for 4 people don't find a house for 4 or 5 people. Cause you will have to find a new housemate and experience the same thing as before. Just forget what happened and find a new house, or stay in a student accommodation (not a house-in halls- in some private student accommodations you can choose to live with your friends).
bcholderholder
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Okay, bit of backstory here. I have been sharing with four people for the past two and a half years. Last year, one of those people graduated and moved out, meaning the remaining four of us would be getting a new tenant. Our landlords found a new tenant, and moved him in with us. Unfortunately ever since he's moved in, life at the house has been a disaster. Him and a preexisting housemate hit it off (they're now in a relationship of sorts), and between the two of them they've caused havoc. The house is constantly unclean, the kitchen and living area is unuseable, they frequently get drunk and cause all manner of destruction (including but not limited to knives stabbed in tables, screaming fits at 2am in the morning, causing damage to furniture, yelling some *choice* slurs at me and the other housemates, etc.). It got to the point where we even called the police after one of these housemates made quote unquote "jokes" aka threats about hurting us following a particularly rough scenario. Both our university and advice from the police has been pushing for the eviction of the problem tenants, but our landlords have basically refused, suggesting that, following a visit by them, that they might behave better now (which so far has proven to be false hope), and that we should "devise a cleaning schedule and some ground rules" in order to fix the situation. We've tried this before and were basically ignored.

We're now considering moving to a new property because we're at our wits end, but we'd appreciate any advice or suggestions for this situation, or any experience from people who've dealt with difficult housemates before.
Whatever you do you must at all costs avoid the student oriented accommodation from the company called wearehomesforstudents.com. They manage modern blocks of flats in most university cities and they are to be avoided. Their blocks are not secure from intruders and the staff are rude and ill-trained. In addition the staff will let themselves into flats without prior permission to carry out checks; they do this every week in breach of tenancy agreements!
spaceyartist
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Update: we did a house meeting between us to figure out a schedule and/or ground rules and basically it was a clusterf***. one housemate came down drunk and confrontational and rowed with us about it and said if we "all just cleaned up our own **** we wouldn't have to do a rota at all, and I don't see why I should have to take out the bins or wipe the counters when I'm not using them". The other housemates wanted to get better but ultimately had no interest in doing a rota. So it went nowhere. Shocking. We're looking at new places.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (270)
56.49%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.51%

Watched Threads