Rainbowpink1999x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Have recently realized that i may be able to apply to student finance as an independent student, I have worked part time/full time since the age of 16/17, it says that by the time you start your course you must've been independent for 3 years or more and by the time my course starts i definitely will be 22, i read that you have to have earn £7500 a year or more. Is this correct? how do i show proof of this? thank you
Rainbowpink1999x
Rep:
?
bit more information: iv paid rent, phone bill, car insurance etc since i was 17/18 do they need to see this? what do i need to do to prove that i am independent Student Finance England just looking for a bit more clarity really as I cant find too much about it online
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Rainbowpink1999x)
bit more information: iv paid rent, phone bill, car insurance etc since i was 17/18 do they need to see this? what do i need to do to prove that i am independent Student Finance England just looking for a bit more clarity really as I cant find too much about it online
Hi

From what ive seen previously, people just send in p60s. I doubt there is a published figure that you would have to have earned, if your struggling to get the evidence, speak to HMRC, they can probably give you all your earnings since you started employment and they would hopefully be able to piece it together.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Have recently realized that i may be able to apply to student finance as an independent student, I have worked part time/full time since the age of 16/17, it says that by the time you start your course you must've been independent for 3 years or more and by the time my course starts i definitely will be 22, i read that you have to have earn £7500 a year or more. Is this correct? how do i show proof of this? thank you
Hi,

There is no set figure, the independent team will review your 3 year self support evidence and they assessor will decide if the income you earned shows you were self supporting, if the income is very low then it could be rejected as it will show you won’t have been able to self support on such a low income.
Rainbowpink1999x
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
Hi,

There is no set figure, the independent team will review your 3 year self support evidence and they assessor will decide if the income you earned shows you were self supporting, if the income is very low then it could be rejected as it will show you won’t have been able to self support on such a low income.
Thank you, can i include months up till the September before I go to university do you know? What do you have to send? P60's/ payslips? Or do you have to send bank statements as well?
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you, can i include months up till the September before I go to university do you know? What do you have to send? P60's/ payslips? Or do you have to send bank statements as well?
If your course starts in September then it needs to be 3 years prior to that.

For example a 17/18 p60, 18/19 p60 and then a 19/20 p60 would be acceptable evidence for 3 years self support if you are starting in September 2020.

You can send p60s, payslips or you can ask HMRC to give you a statement of earnings and send that

Thanks
Rainbowpink1999x
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
If your course starts in September then it needs to be 3 years prior to that.

For example a 17/18 p60, 18/19 p60 and then a 19/20 p60 would be acceptable evidence for 3 years self support if you are starting in September 2020.

You can send p60s, payslips or you can ask HMRC to give you a statement of earnings and send that

Thanks
Would I be able use some payslips from the 2017/2018 tax year, my 2018/2019 tax year p60 ,my 2019/2020 tax year p60 and then some from coming 2020/2021 payslips to create a combination of 36 months? This is for entry September 2021.
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Would I be able use some payslips from the 2017/2018 tax year, my 2018/2019 tax year p60 ,my 2019/2020 tax year p60 and then some from coming 2020/2021 payslips to create a combination of 36 months? This is for entry September 2021.
If you send individual payslips then you have to cover 3 years, or if you send a month 12 payslip then that covers one year. The evidence needs to cover 3 years.

As far as I’m aware it should be ok to do what you are stating(send some 20/21 payslips before September 2020). What I would advise you to do is send all the evidence you have once you receive your 19/20 p60 and then the independent team will review it all and they will state if they need to see some 20/21 payslips, I think this is the best option.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads