The Student Room Group

Crown Court

So basically I was thinking of going to a Crown court public gallery this week as I am really interested in studying law in a few years. I am 15 and would like to get an insight of what court is like as I have never been. Will I be able to go by myself with a friend who is my age? What do I do when I get there? Will I be able to take a bag? Particularly looking for anyone who has been to Kingston Crown court. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply 1
You can just walk into the public gallery.

Be quiet, don't speak. Turn your mobile phone off.
Reply 2
Original post by DCDCo
You can just walk into the public gallery.

Be quiet, don't speak. Turn your mobile phone off.

Do u have to dress formally??
Reply 3
Original post by sabihah_m
Do u have to dress formally??

I wouldn't say formally. At the end of the day, the public gallery gets all sorts in it, as you'll see if you happen to come across sentencing (along with the usual raucous behaviour from the loved ones when family members are sent down).

Dress as you feel comfortable.

One thing I will say - Crown Court Cases are 99% boring, 1% interesting, with the 1% being defendant cross-examination and sentencing. If you can, either look in the press for something interesting or call your court up and explain your situation (student, looking for an insight) and they may advise you on a specific court to attend on a specific day. They might also give you a tour!
Reply 4
Original post by DCDCo
I wouldn't say formally. At the end of the day, the public gallery gets all sorts in it, as you'll see if you happen to come across sentencing (along with the usual raucous behaviour from the loved ones when family members are sent down).

One thing I will say - Crown Court Cases are 99% boring, 1% interesting, with the 1% being defendant cross-examination and sentencing. If you can, either look in the press for something interesting or call your court up and explain your situation (student, looking for an insight) and they may advise you on a specific court to attend on a specific day. They might also give you a tour!

Interesting. Thanks for your advice!
Original post by DCDCo

I agree. I went to my local Crown Court, hoping to gain general insight because I’ve never done any sort of work experience and I was told it’d be very interesting (and at the time, I wasn’t 100% sure on law). The case I heard was so boring, and we spoke to one of the security guards and he basically said the same thing - most cases (for this specific court in this location) were pretty much all the same.

Needless to say nothing about my visit was on my PS (not that that’s the reason I went)!
Reply 6
Do you think the fact that it's boring puts you off law or not really??
Reply 7
Original post by sabihah_m
Do you think the fact that it's boring puts you off law or not really??

No, not at all. There are many things in life that are boring to watch, but fun to do. Being a barrister is probably one of them. It just so happens that the formality of trials means that there are lots of things that must happen, in order for the more exciting things to happen.

Also, stepping into a trial mid-way can be bad too, because you have no context to what has gone on prior to what you are seeing.
Reply 8
Original post by DCDCo
No, not at all. There are many things in life that are boring to watch, but fun to do. Being a barrister is probably one of them. It just so happens that the formality of trials means that there are lots of things that must happen, in order for the more exciting things to happen.

Also, stepping into a trial mid-way can be bad too, because you have no context to what has gone on prior to what you are seeing.

Oh OK thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest