medhead17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rannom)
Hi everyone!
Is anyone else having problems applying for accommodation?
Every time I press on apply now it gives me an error and login has failed?
have you firmed very recently? this happened to me for about a day after i firmed and then the login became successful later on !!
pseudo123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone!
I have the same on mine
TheDemeaning
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone!
wait how are you guys booking accommodation already, haven't heard anything about it
pseudo123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheDemeaning)
wait how are you guys booking accommodation already, haven't heard anything about it
depends if you've firmed or not and when
I firmed on friday evening but only got an email saying i could book accommodation this morning
cid2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pseudo123)
depends if you've firmed or not and when
I firmed on friday evening but only got an email saying i could book accommodation this morning
Is the accommodation first come first served? I haven’t heard back from everywhere yet so haven’t firmed Sheffield, but don’t want to be left with the worst accommodation if I wait!! Does anybody know how they allocate it??
pseudo123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cid2002)
Is the accommodation first come first served? I haven’t heard back from everywhere yet so haven’t firmed Sheffield, but don’t want to be left with the worst accommodation if I wait!! Does anybody know how they allocate it??
no idea tbh! On the accommodation portal though you choose which flat you want and reserve a room there (and you can see other people who have also reserved rooms), so the one's that have been reserved already can't be reserved by you - so I'm assuming it is first come first served?
TheDemeaning
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
same
medhead17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
when i spoke to the accommodation people on the phone they said that it works on an automatic rota so that it’s fairer, and every few days new accommodation blocks become available. so for example, Howden has blocks A-G so they might release all of block D this week and then all of block G in a few weeks time (and even then i don’t think every single room in each flat is released at the same time because sometimes not every single room is available to book, even if it’s vacant). The lady on the phone did say that it’s random though so they can’t predict the days that certain blocks will become available unfortunately. you just have to keep checking.
orthobug
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
All congrats on the offer. I have firmed Sheffield yesterday as I had to wait for Liverpool outcome. MUSE had not been updated.
Please can someone tell me , how long does this take ?
Rannom
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by orthobug)
All congrats on the offer. I have firmed Sheffield yesterday as I had to wait for Liverpool outcome. MUSE had not been updated.
Please can someone tell me , how long does this take ?
Congrats!!
For me it took three days.
orthobug
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Congrats!!
For me it took three days.
Thank u
TheDemeaning
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
anyone know how lenient Sheffield is with grade misses? They do have a massive reserve list
orthobug
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by TheDemeaning)
anyone know how lenient Sheffield is with grade misses? They do have a massive reserve list
Attended the offers day. They have specified that we have to get the required grades. Unfortunately - No concessions .
rhysreeds
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
hey guys, just wanted to ask those who've firmed sheffield for their reasoning. i know the curriculum is great, is integrated and case based and all but when i visited sheffield it was super gloomy and i felt like that heavily influenced how i felt towards the place - also i felt like the med school was pretty small and the cafe was all full and crammed up with no empty seats when i went in, so i was just wondering if anyone could provide alternate perspectives on the place.

background info i've also got offers from newcastle and queen mary, and am waiting to hear for bristol. newc and qm are both asking for higher grades (IB 38) while bristol and sheffield are asking for slightly lower grades (IB 36). am currently thinking about firming newcastle, but for insurance since bristol's taking so bloody long (would have been my insurance but am reconsidering rn) i'd like to rethink sheffield i'll be coming from abroad so the distance doesn't really matter.

any thoughts / opinions would be much appreciated!
Last edited by rhysreeds; 3 days ago
nicole3315nicole
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by rhysreeds)
hey guys, just wanted to ask those who've firmed sheffield for their reasoning. i know the curriculum is great, is integrated and case based and all but when i visited sheffield it was super gloomy and i felt like that heavily influenced how i felt towards the place - also i felt like the med school was pretty small and the cafe was all full and crammed up with no empty seats when i went in, so i was just wondering if anyone could provide alternate perspectives on the place.

background info i've also got offers from newcastle and queen mary, and am waiting to hear for bristol. newc and qm are both asking for higher grades (IB 38) while bristol and sheffield are asking for slightly lower grades (IB 36). am currently thinking about firming newcastle, but for insurance since bristol's taking so bloody long (would have been my insurance but am reconsidering rn) i'd like to rethink sheffield i'll be coming from abroad so the distance doesn't really matter.

any thoughts / opinions would be much appreciated!
Ok so I didn’t firm Sheffield, but am in a similar position having applied to Newcastle, Sheffield and Bristol also (and Leeds too). I have firmed Newcastle, as it was my favourite all along haha, and insured Sheffield. Honestly, to a certain degree, my choices were based on gut feelings- how I felt about the environment on the open days/interviews. I also visited Sheffield (for the open day) in the sun, and can assure you it is prettier in summer! I guess the med school is quite small, but as for the cafe, I guess it depends on the time of day as to how busy it is. I don’t remember it being busy when I was there, but don’t doubt that before/after lectures it can get very busy.
Bristol really do take a long time, quite frustrating!
Not sure if I actually gave you any information there, but hope that helps to reassure you at least
TheDemeaning
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by orthobug)
Attended the offers day. They have specified that we have to get the required grades. Unfortunately - No concessions .
just checked a freedom of information request and in 2017 they accepted 35 people who missed the grades and in 2018 it was 31.
orthobug
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
pls can some one guide me on how often does sheff release new flats for booking
Thanks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
every few days im pretty sure!!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
All off site social media group chats are not allowed on TSR.

This thread is the group chat.

Please do not ask for them in the forum, and continue your discussions in this thread.
Overload0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by MedOne)
Hi, for those who attended offer holder days, do you know if we have to move for clinical years 3-5 to another accommodation if we are placed outside Sheffield? Or, are all clinical placements within the Sheffield area? Guess, I am comparing this to Manchester where you may be placed in years 3-5 outside of the main Manchester area and may need to move.

Also, does Sheffield's course have a research component every year (not intercalation) and do any current students have feedback on how research-focused this is?
Thanks in advance.
Hi, I'm currently a second year medic so I can answer your questions. In regard to accommodation in the clinical years, if you are placed in Grimsby or Scunthorpe you will stay in hospital accommodation during the week and you can return to Sheffield at the weekend. However, very few people are at these hospitals (under 10) and you will only be there for up to 6 weeks before you are placed in a different hospital. Furthermore, you are only likely to be placed at these hospitals once and many people never go there.

As for the research assignments, you have 6 weeks of research at the start of 2nd year and I think that is it. Each research topic can vary greatly with some people being in labs 9-5 every day and others (me) only seeing your research lead 4 or 5 times in the 6 weeks.

If you have any more questions just give me a message.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (202)
53.02%
No, they should still go ahead (53)
13.91%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (126)
33.07%

Watched Threads