PepeTheFroggi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im a year 1 a level student and my teacher said we have to think up of wha twe want to do for a project next year right now.
thing is i have literally no idea what i want to do and i dont want to do a game or anything like that cause apparently thats really hard and stuff. so any suggestions please ^^
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on your interests: if you choose a project in a field thast you like, it will be easier and more fun, therefore you will do better. What other subjects are you doing at A level? Which is your best/fav subject? If you provide this info, I am sure I can suggest a couple of good topics - if you need confidentiality, PM me.

M (MSc CS)
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps you could look for inspiration from the kinds of apps that you use on a regular basis? For example:
  • social media app (e.g. some kind of facebook/insta clone)
  • student timetable app
  • music/movie library app (e.g. - categories, filtering, search, suggest recommendations, store ratings, mark favourites, view details, etc.)

Or perhaps you could build something related to mathematics/science (e.g. a simulation of some kind) - for example, visualising DIjkstra's shortest path algorithm, or using the "Shunting Yard" algorithm to evaluate mathematical expressions. Or perhaps a physics/mechanics model showing forces acting on a moving object, etc. Or perhaps use a statistical/probability model to process a whole load of data and try to identify some trends.

Whatever kind of project you do, make sure that you stay close to the mark scheme and look at the kinds of things which could get you close to the complexity requirements. Don't build something which ends up taking loads of time but doesn't 'tick boxes'. For example:

• Object-oriented programming -- perhaps you could create a GUI app and use various OO techniques to split the GUI up into small classes, use Inheritance, Polymorphism, class relationships, etc.
  • Databases - create a non-trivial relational data model in SQL which uses a reasonably sized ERM using foreign-keys, (one-to-many relationships and "junction" tables for many-to-many relationships). This should also include consideration about complex queries too (for example, making sure you have queries which use JOIN, GROUP BY, WHERE, ORDER BY, etc. maybe some 'aggregate' functions like min/max/avg, perhaps also using some time/date data) -- for example, a business app might want to create reports related to sales/expenditure or profit/loss on a month-by-month basis, maybe with different filters - e.g. sales by product category, etc.
  • Some complex algorithm (e.g. DIjkstra) and/or hand-written data structure (e.g. graph/tree structure)
  • Something using networking - e.g. HTTP communication to a web API (for example - twitter API or Google News API).

Again, make sure you pay close attention to the mark scheme. It's hard to overstate the importance of your analysis for whatever you're going to do be doing and the objectives/success criteria -- this really drives the rest of your project, so it's worth putting alot time into that up-front, as well as planning out how users are going to interact with the system, what data and user inputs will be involved, what the user will see on the screen or other outputs (e.g. stuff written to a file or database)
PepeTheFroggi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
tysm
mxxnal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently doing my project and I made the horrible mistake of making something I really have no interest in. I'm struggling to find the motivation to complete it to be honest.

What I found is that in my daily life, sometimes I think — I wonder why we don't have an app for that?

This is when you can explore the ideas of the things you are GENUINELY interested in and create a program based off that. And honestly, even if the program is kinda tricky to code, if you have the motivation to complete it... then you will be absolutely fine 💕
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.04%
Unhappy (54)
28.27%
Conflicted (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads