I had a huge argument with my Maths teacher- who is in the wrong?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, I am in my last year of College doing A-Level Maths.

Because I have a busy schedule, I don't always complete the homework on time. But I am a good student.

I am 18 years old and if I choose to not complete a piece of homework due to family issues or because I want to go to the pub to unwind with a wine, its my business.

When the teacher came to collect the homework today, she asked where mine was.

I politely said that I haven't had time complete the homework and will hand it in by Thursday.

She then screamed in my face, and said to sort myself out and that Im going nowhere in life.

I then stood up and told her to mind her tone when she speaks to me, and that I don't owe her explanations.

She then told me I should get a job in a pub as I won't do well at Uni, so I saw red and told her I will have a much better job than her and that she can't teach.

She then went red and started crying and I told her to seek therapy.

Now she is trying to arrange a meeting with the headmaster and I dont personally think Im in the wrong.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You were both unnecessarily harsh on each other, you're both in the wrong.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"Screamed in my face"?

"Told her... she can't teach"?

"She... started crying and I told her to seek therapy"?

"I don't personally think I'm in the wrong"?

What a load of crap.
Last edited by ageshallnot; 1 month ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
If you use that same attitude to your boss when you start work then you wont last very long in any job
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love how people just assume that the OP's version of events is perfectly accurate.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
I love how people just assume that the OP's version of events is perfectly accurate.
I love how you always expose so many troll threads!! Love you, age 🥰

Tbf, I found this one quite funny so it wasn’t a total waste of time.
ahfae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You were both in the wrong getting unnecessarily personal. If you knew you weren't going to hand in the homework, I personally think you should've explained to your teacher earlier in the week and all this would've been avoided. That's what I used to at school anyway
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
I love how you always expose so many troll threads!! Love you, age 🥰

Tbf, I found this one quite funny so it wasn’t a total waste of time.
Thank you kindly!
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am 18 years old and if I choose to not complete a piece of homework due to family issues or because I want to go to the pub to unwind with a wine, its my business.
If I'm a teacher who is busting my ass even after work in my personal time creating lessons, handouts, marking homework etc and then your students rock up to lessons at college age and tell you they were too busy going down to the pub to neck wine I'd ****ing laugh in your face. They are rightfully disappointed. You should take the loss and just do the homework instead of creating any further scenes for no reason. You actually gain literally nothing by disputing this really.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol would love to see a maths teacher's opinion on this
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Because I have a busy schedule, I don't always complete the homework on time. But I am a good student.

Your two errors are here.

You can't both be 'a good student' and not 'always complete your homework on time'. Being a good student is not just defined by high grades, it's also about your organisation, discipline, focus etc, and not organising your life to meet deadlines is a weakness.

You may be 18, but you have also decided to remain in education and specifically participate in College. That comes with responsibilities, you can't pick and choose what elements of College and that institutional life you fancy and ignore those you don't. You are choosing to take A level maths, and various other people are committing their time (and they are also over 18, it makes no difference) to support you in that. Being 18 and following the requirements of an organisation you elect to be a member of are unrelated.

You are most definitely in the wrong, well before the classroom incident which was precipitated by your errors.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Lol would love to see a maths teacher's opinion on this
Muttley79
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Your two errors are here.

You can't both be 'a good student' and not 'always complete your homework on time'. Being a good student is not just defined by high grades, it's also about your organisation, discipline, focus etc, and not organising your life to meet deadlines is a weakness.

You may be 18, but you have also decided to remain in education and specifically participate in College. That comes with responsibilities, you can't pick and choose what elements of College and that institutional life you fancy and ignore those you don't. You are choosing to take A level maths, and various other people are committing their time (and they are also over 18, it makes no difference) to support you in that. Being 18 and following the requirements of an organisation you elect to be a member of are unrelated.

You are most definitely in the wrong, well before the classroom incident which was precipitated by your errors.
Errors or a contradiction that casts doubt on the veracity of the post???
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
watch how u suddenly be getting E's in every class test
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
All I’m gonna say is good luck at university and your future career. Employers won’t like your attitude that’s for sure.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought most schools were on half-term this week - troll suspected.
OL12345
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are completely and utterly in the wrong. I honestly don't understand how you could think otherwise.
Your teacher has a life too, probably more stressful than yours, and a busier schedule. She'll want to mark everyone's homework at the same time, and she shouldn't have to wait and mark yours separately because you couldn't be arsed to do it when it was set.
You must be so unbelievably entitled to think that you can just hand it in whenever you feel like it. The world does not revolve around you.
Honestly, if I were her I would just hands down refuse to mark it.
And yes, you absolutely do owe her explanations. She's the one that will have to sit down and mark it, at a different time. If everyone behaved like you how do you think her lesson plans would work? They wouldn't as you'd all be at different stages. When would she have the chance to relax? She wouldn't because she'd have random homework coming at her from random students at random times.
You're being ridiculous, and you've been horrible to her. I suggest you either apologise profusely, or you accept that your work will not be getting marked unless it's handed in on time.
Larsa8N9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly , I hate the idea of teachers asking for homework when you are an adult and even in last year of HS. You are expected to have a job and work , so you can manage your life but THEN get treated like kids when you don’t do the H.W . Of course, it’s school/collage and it’s their job to check your work, the need to give you grades based on your work and what you did , your due dates and it’s is YOUR responsibility at the end to present your h.w and your work , but in my opinion , when a student is left alone to study and manage themselves rather than a pressure from it , it’s better , but yet not all people are like that . Some actually prefer to be get work so they study more ...
but in this situation , this was so childish. You both need to grow up , seriously. You didn’t need to stand for yourself because , even if you feel like you had the right not to do your homework on time , and that you could’ve done it, it’s not up to you . When you work and are assigned work to be due the next day, you can’t delay because “ I can do it other time “ you will end up being fired . I know I also want to be like that , but it’s not up to you , you have to present your work on time . The things you said are very childish and sensitive even if you thought you were “ standing for yourself “ she didn’t need to be called an awful teacher . And the fact that she cried proves she was very hurt, she could’ve been hurt from an issue and lashed out . She’s a human . She is also wrong for raising her tone , but at the end of the day, she’s just doing her job
Anonymous #1
I personally don't see how I am in the wrong. She started on me and I defended myself.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OL12345)
You are completely and utterly in the wrong. I honestly don't understand how you could think otherwise.
Your teacher has a life too, probably more stressful than yours, and a busier schedule. She'll want to mark everyone's homework at the same time, and she shouldn't have to wait and mark yours separately because you couldn't be arsed to do it when it was set.
You must be so unbelievably entitled to think that you can just hand it in whenever you feel like it. The world does not revolve around you.
Honestly, if I were her I would just hands down refuse to mark it.
And yes, you absolutely do owe her explanations. She's the one that will have to sit down and mark it, at a different time. If everyone behaved like you how do you think her lesson plans would work? They wouldn't as you'd all be at different stages. When would she have the chance to relax? She wouldn't because she'd have random homework coming at her from random students at random times.
You're being ridiculous, and you've been horrible to her. I suggest you either apologise profusely, or you accept that your work will not be getting marked unless it's handed in on time.
ummm you are being ridiculous. I have a lot of family commitments and sometimes it takes priority
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (275)
34.08%
No (532)
65.92%

Watched Threads