First car questions

Watch
Anonymouuuuus123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have around £6000 to spend on my first car at 17 but I have some questions:

1) What kind of cars should I be looking at (my dad says he won't let me get one that's not from a dealership so take that into consideration)

2) What kind of costs are involved just to use the car (like insurance etc) since I'm confused about what I exactly need and how much it will be

3) How much should I expect to be paying for insurance? I will be 17, no health problems (other than being short-sighted but I doubt that matters?), male and living in a very rural north eastern area

4) Is a black box a good idea, especially on rural roads where it's the norm to have to suddenly brake etc?

Thanks in advance!!!
ihacker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£6000 for first car!!! Mine was £990 7 years old polo.... I would recommend go for something strong as you mentioned northeast rural area
biggyK
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymouuuuus123)
I have around £6000 to spend on my first car at 17 but I have some questions:

1) What kind of cars should I be looking at (my dad says he won't let me get one that's not from a dealership so take that into consideration)

2) What kind of costs are involved just to use the car (like insurance etc) since I'm confused about what I exactly need and how much it will be

3) How much should I expect to be paying for insurance? I will be 17, no health problems (other than being short-sighted but I doubt that matters?), male and living in a very rural north eastern area

4) Is a black box a good idea, especially on rural roads where it's the norm to have to suddenly brake etc?

Thanks in advance!!!
First off, black box in my opinion isn’t a useful option as I used to get down scored for braking in a situation that couldn’t be predicted (dog ran out on dual carriageway at 70). It took over life, trying to anticipate everything and keep a close eye on speed.

Insurance is about the £2,000 mark for most

Annual maintenance is usually £100-200 (services)

Brakes and Tyres etc really depend on what condition the car is currently in. But set some aside for those if you will be doing some mileage.

petrol/diesel will cost as you drive it.

if you spend £3,000 on a car, £2,000 on insurance and then new £1,000 back for costs you’d be ok so long as you have a job to save on top of this.
iMZee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Vauxhall corsa are unbelievably cheap for their age with cars going for around 6k which are 2 years old.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have £6k, the most you can realistically spend on a car is £2k as the rest will go on insurance and other costs. There is also VED to pay.

You are probably going to crash it at some point so there is no point buying an expensive car.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When it comes to cars your dad doesn't know what he's talking about. Ignore him.

Watch this:

They've done a series of videos on buying pleasantly cheap cars.

Aim, like these guys to do it all in for £2000 to £3000. Keep the other £3000 to £4000 in the bank.
That's for the car, any immediate repairs, tax, insurance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (176)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
16.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (113)
9.81%
Isolating with family (79)
6.86%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (43)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.59%
Loneliness (113)
9.81%
Financial worries (51)
4.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (106)
9.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (82)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.59%

Watched Threads