The Student Room Group

2020 Foundation to Health and Veterinary Studies (Year 0) 74JJ

Has anyone applied to the University of Liverpool Veterinary Science foundation programme at Carmel College?

Couldn't see any threads relating to this year and wanted to see if any applicants were on here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CobbTheDuck
Has anyone applied to the University of Liverpool Veterinary Science foundation programme at Carmel College?

Couldn't see any threads relating to this year and wanted to see if any applicants were on here!

Hey!
Yes - I have! Have you heard back since the work experience form?
I haven't and the wait is killing me! But trying to be patient haha.

What's your background / current profession?
Reply 2
Original post by huntervet
Hey!
Yes - I have! Have you heard back since the work experience form?
I haven't and the wait is killing me! But trying to be patient haha.

What's your background / current profession?

Hi!

Nice to find someone else going through the same thing 😂No news since the work experience form for me neither but previous posts on TSR suggest that invites have gone out between 18th Feb - 9th March in the past years so I'm keeping an eye out.

In terms of my background I grew up in the country raising poultry along with a raft of small animals but didn't have an understanding of the veterinary profession until years later after selecting the entirely wrong A-Levels. I spent the last few years trying to get in whatever experience I could fit in with my compulsory travel for work. Completed a week each at a Small Animal Practice, a Dairy Farm and an Elephant Sanctuary, and then have done various day visits which don't necessarily fit into the 'work experience' criteria at a Zoo Veterinary Practice, Border Collie Training School, etc.

My current career is in electrics for events and performance. How about your background and current line of work?
Hi!

Nice to find someone else going through the same thing 😂No news since the work experience form for me neither but previous posts on TSR suggest that invites have gone out between 18th Feb - 9th March in the past years so I'm keeping an eye out.

In terms of my background I grew up in the country raising poultry along with a raft of small animals but didn't have an understanding of the veterinary profession until years later after selecting the entirely wrong A-Levels. I spent the last few years trying to get in whatever experience I could fit in with my compulsory travel for work. Completed a week each at a Small Animal Practice, a Dairy Farm and an Elephant Sanctuary, and then have done various day visits which don't necessarily fit into the 'work experience' criteria at a Zoo Veterinary Practice, Border Collie Training School, etc.

My current career is in electrics for events and performance. How about your background and current line of work?

Haha excellent detective work!! I have done the same - probably read every thread from the last 8 years about the course haha.

Oh amazing - sounds like you have a lovely variety of work experience! I bet the zoo vet practice was really interesting!
How did you find the dairy placement? I've struggled to find one! I grew up in a rural setting and have seen lots of dairy farms but have never worked on one!

I'm in the middle of 2 weeks of lambing - I'm working nights on a family friends farm. Not the most glamorous way to use my annual leave - but I love it! And I'm mostly working on my own so it's been a great learning experience, especially with all the decision making!
I used to work in a small animal practice part time, and have a couple of weeks work experience in a mixed practice. Some time in the abattoir, and volunteering on farms and at a horse rescue. I have a fair bit of experience, as I've always loved working with animals and have always just done it for fun - but unfortunately its spread over a decade or so. So maybe not all relevant to my application!

My current career is in sport development with some coaching too, and also do some volunteering with children and safeguarding in sport.
Veterinary would be a huge career change, but at least I have plenty of experience working with people.
Reply 4
Haha excellent detective work!! I have done the same - probably read every thread from the last 8 years about the course haha.

Oh amazing - sounds like you have a lovely variety of work experience! I bet the zoo vet practice was really interesting!
How did you find the dairy placement? I've struggled to find one! I grew up in a rural setting and have seen lots of dairy farms but have never worked on one!

I'm in the middle of 2 weeks of lambing - I'm working nights on a family friends farm. Not the most glamorous way to use my annual leave - but I love it! And I'm mostly working on my own so it's been a great learning experience, especially with all the decision making!
I used to work in a small animal practice part time, and have a couple of weeks work experience in a mixed practice. Some time in the abattoir, and volunteering on farms and at a horse rescue. I have a fair bit of experience, as I've always loved working with animals and have always just done it for fun - but unfortunately its spread over a decade or so. So maybe not all relevant to my application!

My current career is in sport development with some coaching too, and also do some volunteering with children and safeguarding in sport.
Veterinary would be a huge career change, but at least I have plenty of experience working with people.

Completely agree re: use of annual leave - especially the dairy farm, I absolutely loved it and have never been so happy to get up at 4 in the morning! I actually managed to arrange it through the World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) website. I think they typically get international volunteers looking for overseas hosts/ the chance to improve on English during their travels, but they were more than happy to accommodate me when I explained my reasoning.

I'd have loved to have done lambing volunteering but it sadly directly clashes with work commitments every year, and there's no chance of taking holiday then. Sounds like you're having an amazing time - hope the storms haven't been giving you too much grief!

I'm sure it won't be a problem that you haven't done dairy with your experience though. I seem to remember them saying something on the open day about Year 0 pitching in at Ness Heath to bring you up to speed on animals you hadn't had direct experience of. Did you go along to the open day yourself?
Completely agree re: use of annual leave - especially the dairy farm, I absolutely loved it and have never been so happy to get up at 4 in the morning! I actually managed to arrange it through the World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) website. I think they typically get international volunteers looking for overseas hosts/ the chance to improve on English during their travels, but they were more than happy to accommodate me when I explained my reasoning.

I'd have loved to have done lambing volunteering but it sadly directly clashes with work commitments every year, and there's no chance of taking holiday then. Sounds like you're having an amazing time - hope the storms haven't been giving you too much grief!

I'm sure it won't be a problem that you haven't done dairy with your experience though. I seem to remember them saying something on the open day about Year 0 pitching in at Ness Heath to bring you up to speed on animals you hadn't had direct experience of. Did you go along to the open day yourself?

Amazing! Sounds like you're on the right path then!
Oh I've heard of WWOOF! never used it before though, I did find some things on workaway though!

I'm sure you'll get a chance soon! Lambing is great fun. We had some flooding, but my biggest challenge was maneuvering my old ford fiesta around the farm land. We are lambing indoors so it's not too bad.

Yes - I read somewhere that wednesdays become placement days in the second semester!
Yeah I went to the open day in October. I was blown away by the leahurst campus! Thought it was all incredible - all the facilities in the city looked great too and I loved all the interactive stations. It just made me want it even more!

I'm trying to stay realistic cause I know how competitive it is, so looking at some other routes, but this course would be such an amazing opportunity!
Reply 6
Amazing! Sounds like you're on the right path then!
Oh I've heard of WWOOF! never used it before though, I did find some things on workaway though!

I'm sure you'll get a chance soon! Lambing is great fun. We had some flooding, but my biggest challenge was maneuvering my old ford fiesta around the farm land. We are lambing indoors so it's not too bad.

Yes - I read somewhere that wednesdays become placement days in the second semester!
Yeah I went to the open day in October. I was blown away by the leahurst campus! Thought it was all incredible - all the facilities in the city looked great too and I loved all the interactive stations. It just made me want it even more!

I'm trying to stay realistic cause I know how competitive it is, so looking at some other routes, but this course would be such an amazing opportunity!

Yeah absolutely the same for me - got to be realistic when there’s only 5 places available. Is your backup plan to go down an Access to Higher Education Diploma route or similar?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah absolutely the same for me - got to be realistic when there’s only 5 places available. Is your backup plan to go down an Access to Higher Education Diploma route or similar?

Yeah - I looked at the birbeck college access course which seems to be accepted by a few vet schools.
Or I would consider looking for somewhere to sit a levels.

My worry with another access course, is finding one that is definitely accepted. I know the universities all advertise the requirements for credits etc., but some of the access courses aren't that transparent with their curriculum on the website.

I am so close to calling liverpool to see how much longer I will have to wait before finding out about an interview haha. Have you had any news?
Reply 8
Yeah - I looked at the birbeck college access course which seems to be accepted by a few vet schools.
Or I would consider looking for somewhere to sit a levels.

My worry with another access course, is finding one that is definitely accepted. I know the universities all advertise the requirements for credits etc., but some of the access courses aren't that transparent with their curriculum on the website.

I am so close to calling liverpool to see how much longer I will have to wait before finding out about an interview haha. Have you had any news?

Ah yeah that’s my thinking too on alternative access courses.. guess I’d just have to take a chance on one though.

I had to call up to see if interview dates had been fixed because I may need to negotiate with work commitments.

They’ve said that interviews should be taking place on Tuesday 31st March and that they’re just awaiting some final confirmations; likely to be sending out invites next week. Going to be a nervous weekend ahead 😂
Ah yeah that’s my thinking too on alternative access courses.. guess I’d just have to take a chance on one though.

I had to call up to see if interview dates had been fixed because I may need to negotiate with work commitments.

They’ve said that interviews should be taking place on Tuesday 31st March and that they’re just awaiting some final confirmations; likely to be sending out invites next week. Going to be a nervous weekend ahead 😂

Haha well done on calling up! I'm so glad you did - any bit of info feels like gold dust 😂😂

I hope it's closer to the start of the week! So bloody nervous!

Good luck for next week - hope it's good news!! 😊🤞
Haha well done on calling up! I'm so glad you did - any bit of info feels like gold dust 😂😂

I hope it's closer to the start of the week! So bloody nervous!

Good luck for next week - hope it's good news!! 😊🤞

😂 very true - good luck to you too 🤞 let me know if you hear anything!
😂 very true - good luck to you too 🤞 let me know if you hear anything!

Hey!! Have you heard anything? I just got an email for interview! So relieved! 🥰😭
Hope you have too! 🤞
Hey!! Have you heard anything? I just got an email for interview! So relieved! 🥰😭
Hope you have too! 🤞

Yay!! Well done 😁😁 I’ll be there too!!! So relieved to get to this stage as well. Are you going to do the tour in the afternoon?
Yay!! Well done 😁😁 I’ll be there too!!! So relieved to get to this stage as well. Are you going to do the tour in the afternoon?

Well done!!! Yay!
See you there! Mines at 10.45.
I probs will - I saw it at the open day, but would be nice to meet some people? Are you?
Well done!!! Yay!
See you there! Mines at 10.45.
I probs will - I saw it at the open day, but would be nice to meet some people? Are you?

Sorry for the late reply - bit of a hectic week! Yeah definitely planning to take the tour - the subject talks, the stands and Leahurst trip filled up the recent open day very quickly for me. Definitely would be nice to meet some others! My interview is at 2 so I should only have around an hour to kill before the tour starts 👍 Are you having to travel far on the day?
Sorry for the late reply - bit of a hectic week! Yeah definitely planning to take the tour - the subject talks, the stands and Leahurst trip filled up the recent open day very quickly for me. Definitely would be nice to meet some others! My interview is at 2 so I should only have around an hour to kill before the tour starts 👍 Are you having to travel far on the day?

Yeah same! The open day was a such a rush around to go and see everything! It was also a lot to take in on one day - I was blown away.
Ahh they must have 2 tours! The tour they invited me on is at 1pm.

I've booked a hotel to stay in Liverpool the night before. I live in Hull, but thinking of seeing family in Wales the weekend before -so I'd only be about 2 / 2.5 hours away either way but I don't want to risk being late or getting stuck in stressful morning traffic! What about you?
Yeah same! The open day was a such a rush around to go and see everything! It was also a lot to take in on one day - I was blown away.
Ahh they must have 2 tours! The tour they invited me on is at 1pm.

I've booked a hotel to stay in Liverpool the night before. I live in Hull, but thinking of seeing family in Wales the weekend before -so I'd only be about 2 / 2.5 hours away either way but I don't want to risk being late or getting stuck in stressful morning traffic! What about you?

Ah yes - must be! I did think it would be quite a wait for the morning interviews!

Similar plan for me - I’m from South Wales but have just booked into a hotel in Liverpool so that there’s no rushing on the day.

I wonder how many of us they’re interviewing! Also wonder whether this Coronavirus outbreak will change any procedures - can’t imagine doing a foot-tap instead of a handshake for an interview 😂
Ah yes - must be! I did think it would be quite a wait for the morning interviews!

Similar plan for me - I’m from South Wales but have just booked into a hotel in Liverpool so that there’s no rushing on the day.

I wonder how many of us they’re interviewing! Also wonder whether this Coronavirus outbreak will change any procedures - can’t imagine doing a foot-tap instead of a handshake for an interview 😂

Absolutely the best way to do it! The last thing you want to do is stress yourself out on the day.
It's weird - I'm not feeling nervous yet at all. I think I'm still just so pleased to have got this far, that it's not sunk in yet haha.

I had the same thoughts! I wonder if it's just one at a time? or if there will be several interviews at once? I have literally no idea. They did say that they had loads of applicants - but I'd love to know an actual number.
And I was also thinking about covid19 - it better not ruin my interview plans hahaha. Imagine if they cancelled? I saw a few international students had dentistry interviews earlier this year at birmingham (I think ?) and their interviews got cancelled. One of the guys had already travelled from hong kong to be there. They couldn't even do remote skype interviews - so they just said that he would get a guaranteed interview next year instead!
Obviously we are not traveling from that far away, so should be fine haha.

Are you doing much to prep? I don't want to come across too robotic with fixed answers, but I also do like to be a bit prepared! It's weird having such little info to go on too. I've just sent requests for references to 2 placements too - so hopefully they will get those done soon!
Absolutely the best way to do it! The last thing you want to do is stress yourself out on the day.
It's weird - I'm not feeling nervous yet at all. I think I'm still just so pleased to have got this far, that it's not sunk in yet haha.

I had the same thoughts! I wonder if it's just one at a time? or if there will be several interviews at once? I have literally no idea. They did say that they had loads of applicants - but I'd love to know an actual number.
And I was also thinking about covid19 - it better not ruin my interview plans hahaha. Imagine if they cancelled? I saw a few international students had dentistry interviews earlier this year at birmingham (I think ?) and their interviews got cancelled. One of the guys had already travelled from hong kong to be there. They couldn't even do remote skype interviews - so they just said that he would get a guaranteed interview next year instead!
Obviously we are not traveling from that far away, so should be fine haha.

Are you doing much to prep? I don't want to come across too robotic with fixed answers, but I also do like to be a bit prepared! It's weird having such little info to go on too. I've just sent requests for references to 2 placements too - so hopefully they will get those done soon!

Absolutely agree - really just need COVID-19 to get lost for a couple of weeks 😬

In terms of prep, I’ve been pottering along doing a little each day and then I very luckily have a couple of days off in the run up to consolidate it.
Mostly I’m just continuing to read around the subject and thinking about questions and topics that may come up. Similar to you - trying not to just recite a script, but there are just some stock question that I think are worth a degree of fixed wording. How’s your prep going?
Absolutely agree - really just need COVID-19 to get lost for a couple of weeks 😬

In terms of prep, I’ve been pottering along doing a little each day and then I very luckily have a couple of days off in the run up to consolidate it.
Mostly I’m just continuing to read around the subject and thinking about questions and topics that may come up. Similar to you - trying not to just recite a script, but there are just some stock question that I think are worth a degree of fixed wording. How’s your prep going?

Yeah I am pretty much the same! Just making sure I'm confident with everything on my personal statement / work exp form. Plus looking at some topical subjects / things I think are a possibility on the written station.
I am actually quite looking forward to it! I hope covid19 doesn't get in the way!!

Good luck with all your prep!! I have also got a few days off before hand which is good. I also recently went on the responsible use of medicines course for farm assurance - so that was a good refresher to do beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest