Hard working in groups when your nearly 18 years older than your peers

Watch
amy2323
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Working within a group of peers 18 years younger with myself, the oldest . Struggling with uni students who think everything should be handed to them on a plate when they clearly do not pay attention. It’s also hard when 90% of you class is international students . I’m struggling with group work as it goes toward a grade and I’m the One getting A’s and the others have got resits to do or getting lower grades . I don’t mean to sound stuck up but I really think they are being my grades down and I obviously don’t want to sit and argue with an 18 year old over text and language in our assessment that we have to work on together . Hmmm struggling !!!
Advertisement
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amy2323)
Working within a group of peers 18 years younger with myself, the oldest . Struggling with uni students who think everything should be handed to them on a plate when they clearly do not pay attention. It’s also hard when 90% of you class is international students . I’m struggling with group work as it goes toward a grade and I’m the One getting A’s and the others have got resits to do or getting lower grades . I don’t mean to sound stuck up but I really think they are being my grades down and I obviously don’t want to sit and argue with an 18 year old over text and language in our assessment that we have to work on together . Hmmm struggling !!!
What subject and whats the task.

Part of group work is learning to work with different people, who may not wish to or cannot work to your standards.
If you have 18 years on them then work out a plan to successfully complete the task.
Give the group or individuals an opportunity to help itself.
Remove or isolate all shirkers.
Make it known what the challenge was, what you did about kit and protect your own mark.
Your easiest allies are those who score nearest to you and those who try.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
i'm an international student and in my first year at uni i remember being assigned to work with 3 UK students for a public law presentation. couldn't get a hold of them to meet and couldn't make them do any work to save my life. ended up doing about 90 percent of the project and they literally just showed up and read the script/showed the presentation i prepared. so i don't know why you pointed out '90% of the class is international' - as tho that's a hurdle(?). in my experience it's been the opposite.

how does your group mark compare to all the other group marks? if everyone in your class thinks everything should be handed to them, then surely you're all getting around the same grades?

also i moved your thread to Mature Students in hopes someone can relate.
Advertisement
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I echo the comments above.

It's about working as a team, identifying everyone's skills and where necessary, taking control.

Rather than focus on the obstacles, look to remove them. As above, write a plan, get people to stick to it. Engage people, chase them. Life is about working with people who are of different ages. I used to work with people who were 30 years older than me. In my new role, I'm going to be working with people who are 15 years younger than me.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Meh. Group work doesn't usually contribute hugely towards overall grades most of the time.

Don't let it bug you. Because it can and it can just keep grating away at you.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (259)
60.8%
No (87)
20.42%
Not sure (80)
18.78%

Watched Threads