The Student Room Group

Flatmate's girlfriend living in shared accomodation illegally

Hello. I'm in a 6 bedroom shared accommodation. I found this house kind of last-minute because my boyfriend at the time and I were supposed to move in together and ended up breaking up. I was joining a friend's house, in which the house was made up of my friend, let's call him B, B's boyfriend, and the rest of B's boyfriend's best mates. So B and I are the two close and the rest are his boyfriend's friends. I was desperate for a house so I agreed to sign. To make this even more complicated, B and his boyfriend broke up. B and I vs B's boyfriend and his mates kind of situation. Well another tenant, let's say G, and his girlfriend are apparently supposed to be splitting rent and living as an illegal tenant. I was quite worried about the legality of all this and how it would impact our overall bills but B told me that she was supposed to buy all the house supplies and that they've done this the year before. We signed this contract in July and now it's February and I can't STAND living with G's girlfriend. For someone who is living here illegally, she is a complete massive ********. She never ever says hello, leaves passive aggressive messages on the white board, touches my things and moves them without permission. We've tried to have a frank chat with her (B and I) but she didn't really speak and gave us death stares. Now, I'm wondering if there's anything I could do, like tell our landlord that we have basically a squatter in the house. B and I feel powerless because she's basically their group of friends. She tries her best to make me and B feel ostracized in the house since its mostly her mates. B is worried that we all might get in trouble since it's a joint tenancy and we've kept this secret for awhile. I want to at least threaten her with this so she can be a decent human being and stop talking **** about us all the time. Will WE get in trouble if we tell the landlord? We've tried to have a sit down chat with her, but didn't work. What is the best way to go about this? I spend most of my time at my partner's now because she hogs the kitchen and living room (does ALL her work there?) and I don't feel comfortable in my own home.
Reply 1
Original post by bhopper978
Hello. I'm in a 6 bedroom shared accommodation. I found this house kind of last-minute because my boyfriend at the time and I were supposed to move in together and ended up breaking up. I was joining a friend's house, in which the house was made up of my friend, let's call him B, B's boyfriend, and the rest of B's boyfriend's best mates. So B and I are the two close and the rest are his boyfriend's friends. I was desperate for a house so I agreed to sign. To make this even more complicated, B and his boyfriend broke up. B and I vs B's boyfriend and his mates kind of situation. Well another tenant, let's say G, and his girlfriend are apparently supposed to be splitting rent and living as an illegal tenant. I was quite worried about the legality of all this and how it would impact our overall bills but B told me that she was supposed to buy all the house supplies and that they've done this the year before. We signed this contract in July and now it's February and I can't STAND living with G's girlfriend. For someone who is living here illegally, she is a complete massive ********. She never ever says hello, leaves passive aggressive messages on the white board, touches my things and moves them without permission. We've tried to have a frank chat with her (B and I) but she didn't really speak and gave us death stares. Now, I'm wondering if there's anything I could do, like tell our landlord that we have basically a squatter in the house. B and I feel powerless because she's basically their group of friends. She tries her best to make me and B feel ostracized in the house since its mostly her mates. B is worried that we all might get in trouble since it's a joint tenancy and we've kept this secret for awhile. I want to at least threaten her with this so she can be a decent human being and stop talking **** about us all the time. Will WE get in trouble if we tell the landlord? We've tried to have a sit down chat with her, but didn't work. What is the best way to go about this? I spend most of my time at my partner's now because she hogs the kitchen and living room (does ALL her work there?) and I don't feel comfortable in my own home.

Tell the landlord that shes been living their illegally for only a few weeks and that you thought she was just a friend who came round to see your mate a lot. You wont get in trouble so long as you have a well thought out story and a majority will back you up on it.
Lol your own home?? No. You're all squatters. Get a lock, save up and move. It's not that I don't understand your situation. It's complaining about it when it's kind of all your fault to begin with. All of this over a boy..Why don't you go back home to your parents? I don't understand this weird stupid culture of middle classed people or ppl who get on with their parents still flat sharing and subletting and putting yourself in harms way and unnecessary stress by choice, when there's people who have no choice because they're not middle classed and have no family.
Reply 3
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lol your own home?? No. You're all squatters. Get a lock, save up and move. It's not that I don't understand your situation. It's complaining about it when it's kind of all your fault to begin with. All of this over a boy..Why don't you go back home to your parents? I don't understand this weird stupid culture of middle classed people or ppl who get on with their parents still flat sharing and subletting and putting yourself in harms way and unnecessary stress by choice, when there's people Lol wwho have no choice because they're not middle classed and have no family.

Lol WHAT??? This seems like misplaced anger? This isn't about a boy?? What....???! LOL The drama doesn't stem from a boy, it's because she doesn't actually live her but lives with her boyfriend illegally and doesn't pay rent? I also am an international student so none of this makes sense? I think you have a reading comprehension issue/ huge chip on your shoulder about middle class? Idiot.
Reply 4
Original post by Gillzy
Tell the landlord that shes been living their illegally for only a few weeks and that you thought she was just a friend who came round to see your mate a lot. You wont get in trouble so long as you have a well thought out story and a majority will back you up on it.

That's the problem, we'v been living here since July... and the majority are HER friends. :/
Lol WHAT??? This seems like misplaced anger? This isn't about a boy?? What....???! LOL The drama doesn't stem from a boy, it's because she doesn't actually live her but lives with her boyfriend illegally and doesn't pay rent? I also am an international student so none of this makes sense? I think you have a reading comprehension issue/ huge chip on your shoulder about middle class? Idiot.

To be fair, the mention of 'B's Boyfriend' is where it all went wrong.

Flatshares and couples do not generally mix well, in my experience they have all ended with big fallouts when one of the couple starts to throw their weight around then it's neverending 'us vs them'. (and it often is the one with least right to be there) I'd move, your landlord is unlikely to solve it (they can remind G his GF doesn't live there, they can't ban her)

Original post by StriderHort
To be fair, the mention of 'B's Boyfriend' is where it all went wrong.

Flatshares and couples do not generally mix well, in my experience they have all ended with big fallouts when one of the couple starts to throw their weight around then it's neverending 'us vs them'. (and it often is the one with least right to be there) I'd move, your landlord is unlikely to solve it (they can remind G his GF doesn't live there, they can't ban her)

yes.

I would definitely report it to your landlord. The only issue that comes with that is:
A) why didn't you say sooner
B) it will make your life a living hell with the rest of the guys
My advice would be to try and find another place ASAP, they will know instantly that it was you two who reported the situation and won't resist in making the situation awful for the next year, and that's the last thing you need really :smile:
Original post by Scarlettseaman1
I would definitely report it to your landlord. The only issue that comes with that is:
A) why didn't you say sooner
B) it will make your life a living hell with the rest of the guys
My advice would be to try and find another place ASAP, they will know instantly that it was you two who reported the situation and won't resist in making the situation awful for the next year, and that's the last thing you need really :smile:

I wouldn't worry about A tbh, it isn't really another tenants place to make a formal call on whether someones partner has or has not moved in, you can reasonably put your hands up and say that bit isn't your problem 'Gee I hadn't thought about it, she was just here a lot, she never said anything about living here' (you'd also hope a reasonable landlord would understand the tenants would have tried to resolve things among themselves before resorting to formal complaints)

As to B: Yep, it very likely won't improve your situation whatever the landlord does. despite a variety of crappy flatshares I have only ever once convinced a landlord to take my side in a dispute over staying neutral. And to do that I had to phone them while the person was kicking off and let them hear it down the phone so they came over and caught them red handed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
I wouldn't worry about A tbh, it isn't really another tenants place to make a formal call on whether someones partner has or has not moved in, you can reasonably put your hands up and say that bit isn't your problem 'Gee I hadn't thought about it, she was just here a lot, she never said anything about living here' (you'd also hope a reasonable landlord would understand the tenants would have tried to resolve things among themselves before resorting to formal complaints)

As to B: Yep, it very likely won't improve your situation whatever the landlord does. despite a variety of crappy flatshares I have only ever once convinced a landlord to take my side in a dispute over staying neutral. And to do that I had to phone them while the person was kicking off and let them hear it down the phone so they came over and caught them red handed.

Damn. AT least we can do is threatener to tell the landlord?
Your reply still didn't make any sense and you just sound like an absolute idiot.

lol
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
lol

Who are you
Your reply still didn't make any sense and you just sound like an absolute idiot.

Says the foreigner who no one wants around them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending