Jeff Bezos pledges $10Bn to fight climate change

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not entirely sure i'd trust giving such large amounts of money to the crackpot activists - like the current crop digging up a college garden in Cambridge :rolleyes:
Also, as far as guaranteed threats go, i'd imagine the threat from asteroid strikes is somewhat more pertinent than this particular set of predictions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51539321
JohnnyHK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Not entirely sure i'd trust giving such large amounts of money to the crackpot activists - like the current crop digging up a college garden in Cambridge :rolleyes:
Also, as far as guaranteed threats go, i'd imagine the threat from asteroid strikes is somewhat more pertinent than this particular set of predictions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51539321
Seems like Jeff doing some virtue signalling to me! It's all a tax write off anyway ...
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnnyHK)
Seems like Jeff doing some virtue signalling to me! It's all a tax write off anyway ...
Ha, thats the fun thing when it comes to the uber wealthy donating anything. It becomes rather hard to know for certain whether its for little more than a tax write down or to actually do some good. Call my a cynic, but im inclined to say this is simply to get people off of his back - given his entire business model is built on the back of exploitative industries.
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He who feeds the crocodile the most does so hoping to be the last one to be eaten.

That's why we'll never have the Washington Post reporting on working conditions at Amazon warehouses, innit?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given that his grants include activists i can't say i'm enthralled. People like Elon Musk are far more deserving of our praise on climate issues (electric vehicles, solar power).

The real problem we have in the long term is not the grid or transport but rather what we can replace plastic with. That is what his money should be funding in addition to slapping solar panels all over the roofs of his warehouses.
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Given that his grants include activists i can't say i'm enthralled. People like Elon Musk are far more deserving of our praise on climate issues (electric vehicles, solar power).

The real problem we have in the long term is not the grid or transport but rather what we can replace plastic with. That is what his money should be funding in addition to slapping solar panels all over the roofs of his warehouses.
The irony being the minerals required for these things are mined in an incredibly destructive manner, are awful for the environment and require a huge amount of energy to make in the first place.
As to replacing plastic, i am highly dubious we could, or should, find any complete replacement for it. Especially given climate change or not, there is literally no way the planet can ever stop using oil - and it most definitely should not try tbh given the enourmous benefits it provides in terms of quality of life, medicine etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (18)
78.26%
No (3)
13.04%
Not sure (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads