The Student Room Group

Studying Maths

So I've received an offer for Maths at Newcastle. Many people (who have not studied maths) have told me that it's a good degree and that you could become an accountant, engineer or banker, etc. However, I really don't know how employable it is.

I am looking forward for studying Mathematics but I want to ask about the prospects. If you have studied maths yourself or know people who have, what careers have you/they gone in to afterwards?
Hello, no maths is ****
Original post by mizanchez
Hello, no maths is ****

How come?
Hello, no maths is ****
Original post by David-Isaac
How come?

There are a multitude of different degrees that you can use to shape your career into, for starters try medicine, maybe law? Unless you really like Maths, you won't enjoy it as a career
Original post by mizanchez
There are a multitude of different degrees that you can use to shape your career into, for starters try medicine, maybe law? Unless you really like Maths, you won't enjoy it as a career

I originally wanted to do medicine. But while I was preparing for my interview, I realised how stressful and difficult of a job it would be. In addition, I got no offers. This made me quickly lose interest in medicine.

I do genuinely enjoy maths so I decided to apply for that. Although I do know of some accountants who've told me not to go into accounting due to it being boring.
I originally wanted to do medicine. But while I was preparing for my interview, I realised how stressful and difficult of a job it would be. In addition, I got no offers. This made me quickly lose interest in medicine.

I do genuinely enjoy maths so I decided to apply for that. Although I do know of some accountants who've told me not to go into accounting due to it being boring.

I’m a year 13 and I do accounting A level. Some parts are boring but you can get jobs in the areas that are not. I think maths is a good degree although I don’t think you could get into banking with a degree from Newcastle (idk but in my time researching economics degrees ppl on here said only students from the top unis are hired in investment banking but I didn’t read into it so that may not be true)
Reply 7
So I've received an offer for Maths at Newcastle. Many people (who have not studied maths) have told me that it's a good degree and that you could become an accountant, engineer or banker, etc. However, I really don't know how employable it is.

I am looking forward for studying Mathematics but I want to ask about the prospects. If you have studied maths yourself or know people who have, what careers have you/they gone in to afterwards?

If you look on the bath university website under their maths course they show a list of where their graduates work. This shows position and organisation - that should give a decent idea of what you can do.
Maths is a perfectly reasonable choice of degree. If you enjoy studying it and think you'd enjoy the course outline then go for it! I know plenty of maths graduates who have enjoyed it and moved into banking/ advisory and accounting.

Quick Reply