The Student Room Group

91 days to A-levels - IT IS NOT TOO LATE ! journey to A*A*A*

After a very successful, thank God , year 12, I achieved , AAA(A* epq) at AS level in Biology (Aqa) chemistry (ocr) and sociology (aqa). With A*A*A prediction at A level, the sky was the limit and I was slightly excited for year 13 ...
After a summer filled with family issues, I arrived to hear 13 unsettled.Not to mention having such a short gap of time to revise for my medical admission tests.It was early September in year 13 and I was already falling severely behind in school.Late September, I decided that I would take the BMAT, another medical admission exam , sat in mid October (big mistake).
I fell extremely behind in school work and it began piling up higher and higher.The once capable girl was walking into all lessons clueless and confused.It all came to surface with family, teachers and friends when I attained CCC for my October mocks and had to leave an exam due to suffering from a severe panic attack.It was horrific.
Time went on and the work piled on, bringing me to now, where I have successfully cemented into my head the idea that I’ll fail.Its now 91 days left to exams and I’ve got so much work to do.I feel like giving up and I am petrified.I need to show people and prove to myself that I am amazing by getting those grades, but I’ve got so much work to do.

This thread is for all my fellow ambitious, but petrified year 13s
This thread is for those who feel it’s too late
This thread will motivate you and myself
I will be letting you know what u get up to daily and keep you updated, feel free to join me!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I completely get where you're coming from. I got AAAA at AS in Bio (OCR), Chem, (AQA), Maths (OCR) & Religious Studies (OCR). However, I had a pretty hectic summer with a lot going on at home. When I got to school, I then also had the issue of starting an EPQ (bc my school only starts us on one in September for some reason), applying for uni, prepping for the NSAAs in October half term, and dealing with all my extracurriculars (I'm a tad over involved aha I have a bit of an obsession with being busy). I ended up getting really panicked about biology (partly because my teachers are really behind in teaching the course and are super unorganised, partly because I was super tired from surviving on about 4 hours of sleep a night) and I've developed a bit of a mental block about it. Just had my mocks last week, so I don't know how I did, but I think I've started to overcome that block. I've been pretty lucky in getting some great reduced offers for uni, so I'm not too stressed about getting the grades for them, but I put loads of pressure on myself to get my predicted grades (A*A*A*) in chem, bio and maths and A*(EPQ). I know I'm academically capable, but I know that my believing in myself won't count for anything if I panic and mess up in the exam. Some help with motivation would be great, and I'd love to help anyone else if I can :smile:
😭😭 I can relate to this so much, got AAAB for AS in Maths (edexcel), Bio (AQA), Chem (OCR), and Further Maths (edexcel). Sadly this year I've kinda been off it and got into a really bad habit of procrastinating and not going to lessons so I've ended up with BBBC in my mocks so trying to achieve my predicted grades of A*A*AA seemed impossible to me. Felt really bad about this and hoping to do a complete 180 by exam season. Can't wait to see how it goes for you and anyone else in the same boat. Let's get this bred!!! ✌️😌✌️
good luck u guys😭😭 I got my mocks from next week and hoping (and praying) I do well. will keep y’all posted :wink:)

We’ve finished all content for maths and chem, but have a few left for biology what about you guys?

also any post mock reflection tips?😅😂
Original post by annoymous_
good luck u guys😭😭 I got my mocks from next week and hoping (and praying) I do well. will keep y’all posted :wink:)

We’ve finished all content for maths and chem, but have a few left for biology what about you guys?

We're going to be finished with maths and chemistry in a couple weeks, but biology is still going to be a while :frown: one side of the course said we'll be done by easter, but the other hasn't said anything and they tend to take longer, so not thrilled
Original post by mariedamme
We're going to be finished with maths and chemistry in a couple weeks, but biology is still going to be a while :frown: one side of the course said we'll be done by easter, but the other hasn't said anything and they tend to take longer, so not thrilled

Hope you finish sooner than they expect, I think we’re ok for time cause we started at the end of year 12

We've basically finished maths, got 1 and half chapters from stats and that's it. Bio and chem on the other hand I don't think we're gonna finish anytime soon we've got 2 topics left for bio and 3 for chem. 😭😭 We're so behind
Hope you finish sooner than they expect, I think we’re ok for time cause we started at the end of year 12

Yeah, we did as well - it's just that my biology teachers go so slowly through the course :/ Hopefully should be fine though! Reckon I might just read through the textbook ahead of time so I have longer to get a grasp on the content
Original post by Cant do it
We've basically finished maths, got 1 and half chapters from stats and that's it. Bio and chem on the other hand I don't think we're gonna finish anytime soon we've got 2 topics left for bio and 3 for chem. 😭😭 We're so behind

Yeah for bio we have homeostasis, gene technology and nervous coordination left but I’m glad they’re not be going in the mocks now :smile:
Original post by SilverLipa
After a very successful, thank God , year 12, I achieved , AAA(A* epq) at AS level in Biology (Aqa) chemistry (ocr) and sociology (aqa). With A*A*A prediction at A level, the sky was the limit and I was slightly excited for year 13 ...
After a summer filled with family issues, I arrived to hear 13 unsettled.Not to mention having such a short gap of time to revise for my medical admission tests.It was early September in year 13 and I was already falling severely behind in school.Late September I decided that I would take the BMAT, another medical admission exam sat in mid October (big mistake).
I fell extremely behind in school work and it began pulling up higher and higher, the once capable girl was walking into all lessons clueless and confused.It all came to surface with family, teachers and friends when I attained CCC for my October mocks and had to leave an examdue to suffering from a severe panic attack.It was horrific.
Time went on and the work piled on and I had successfully cemented into my head that I was going to fail.Its now 91 days left to exams and I’ve got so much work to do.I feel like giving up and I am petrified.I need to show people and prove to myself that I am amazing by getting those grades, but I’ve got so much work to do.

I will be letting you know what u get up to daily and keep you updated, feel free to join me!

I’m doing the same subjects as you and I’m in year 12 :smile:
I didn't do AS, but in my January mocks I got AAA, but I the basis that we didn't do all the papers and that we were told which parts of the course would be used in the history ones, and from that it was fairly obvious what the questions would be. I just don't know how Im going to revise well enough to get my uni grades (A*AA) but hey, first exam 30th April... There's still time maybe.
Hi! I completely get where you're coming from. I got AAAA at AS in Bio (OCR), Chem, (AQA), Maths (OCR) & Religious Studies (OCR). However, I had a pretty hectic summer with a lot going on at home. When I got to school, I then also had the issue of starting an EPQ (bc my school only starts us on one in September for some reason), applying for uni, prepping for the NSAAs in October half term, and dealing with all my extracurriculars (I'm a tad over involved aha I have a bit of an obsession with being busy). I ended up getting really panicked about biology (partly because my teachers are really behind in teaching the course and are super unorganised, partly because I was super tired from surviving on about 4 hours of sleep a night) and I've developed a bit of a mental block about it. Just had my mocks last week, so I don't know how I did, but I think I've started to overcome that block. I've been pretty lucky in getting some great reduced offers for uni, so I'm not too stressed about getting the grades for them, but I put loads of pressure on myself to get my predicted grades (A*A*A*) in chem, bio and maths and A*(EPQ). I know I'm academically capable, but I know that my believing in myself won't count for anything if I panic and mess up in the exam. Some help with motivation would be great, and I'd love to help anyone else if I can :smile:

OMG I’m so glad someone understands what I’m going through, this mental block is so crippling I swear, we just need to believe in ourselves, keep me posted and good luck
Original post by Ezza1234
I’m doing the same subjects as you and I’m in year 12 :smile:

Let me know if you need any help !

😭😭 I can relate to this so much, got AAAB for AS in Maths (edexcel), Bio (AQA), Chem (OCR), and Further Maths (edexcel). Sadly this year I've kinda been off it and got into a really bad habit of procrastinating and not going to lessons so I've ended up with BBBC in my mocks so trying to achieve my predicted grades of A*A*AA seemed impossible to me. Felt really bad about this and hoping to do a complete 180 by exam season. Can't wait to see how it goes for you and anyone else in the same boat. Let's get this bred!!! ✌️😌✌️

We’ve got to do thissssssss!!
ayyyy we are all in the same boat
need my 3 As for med (bio, chem and maths)
hoping everyone stays motivated for the coming exams!
still so scary to me how my whole 2 years of A Levels will be judged in 9 exams spread across 15 days :frown:
Original post by SilverLipa
After a summer filled with family issues, I arrived to hear 13 unsettled.Not to mention having such a short gap of time to revise for my medical admission tests.It was early September in year 13 and I was already falling severely behind in school.Late September I decided that I would take the BMAT, another medical admission exam sat in mid October (big mistake).
I fell extremely behind in school work and it began pulling up higher and higher, the once capable girl was walking into all lessons clueless and confused.It all came to surface with family, teachers and friends when I attained CCC for my October mocks and had to leave an examdue to suffering from a severe panic attack.It was horrific.
Time went on and the work piled on and I had successfully cemented into my head that I was going to fail.Its now 91 days left to exams and I’ve got so much work to do.I feel like giving up and I am petrified.I need to show people and prove to myself that I am amazing by getting those grades, but I’ve got so much work to do.

19/02/2020
So I’m going to try and be as consistent as I can with these updates. 😀
Today I went to the library and felt quite dizzy And it just didn’t feel like I could do a study day.Nevertheless I pushed on and got some work done, not as much as I would have hoped though.Im gonna dedicate the next few days to going over content thoroughly.My mocks are in a few weeks , I plan to dedicate the whole of next week to SOLEY doing exam questions.Were nearly finished content in school but as I told you guys, I’ve been so lazy and my teachers are \not even good so I feel like I know nothing anyway lool.Weve just got to go over it ourselves, I did it last year and it worked out pretty decently, thank God.So I’m relying on myself this year too.heres my giagantic to do list that I want to demolish in the next 4-5 days.Ambitious ?yes. But I’ve got to be.
Biology
- [ ] Section 7b - populations and evolution
- [ ] Section 7c - populations in ecosystems
- [ ] Section 8a - gene expression and cancer/ genome projects wed
- [ ] Section 7a - inherited change wed *

Biology
- [ ] 6b - 15.4-15.8
- [ ] 6c Homeostasis
- [ ] 8a -Recombinant gene technology

Sociology crime
- [ ] Topic 2 quizlet
- [ ] Topic 3 class power and crime - wed
- [ ] Topic 5 gender, crime and justice
- [ ] Topic 6 ethnicity crime and justice
- [ ] Topic 7 crime and media
- [ ] Topic 9 control punishment and victims

Sociology beielfs in society
- [ ] Secularisation - quizlet
- [ ] Religion in a global context -
- [ ] Organisations ,ovements and members
- [ ] Ideology and science
- [x] Religion renewal and choice

Sociology theory
- [ ] Sociology and science
- [ ] Functionalism
- [ ] Marxism - quizlet
- [ ] Action theories
- [ ] Globalisation modernity
- [ ] Sociology and socialpolicy - quizlet

Chemistry physical
- [ ] Lattice enthalpy
- [ ] Enthalpy entropy
- [ ] Redox : Electrode potentials feasibility downwards
- [x] How far
- [x] Buffer - in blood - wed

Chemistry organic
- [ ] Amines
- [ ] Amino acids, amines & chirality
- [ ] Polyesters poly amides
- [ ] Carbon carbon bond formation
guys i just wanted to say best of luck for your summer exams, just take it quite steady for now as you probably feel like exams are very close but in reality you can improve so much in just a matter of months.
around this time last year, i had just achieved BBC in my mocks. i was slightly disappointed as i knew that i had to get AAA for my vet school offer. around a month before the exams is when i properly started revising by making flashcards of common QUESTIONS (not just pretty notes) for biology and doing past paper questions for all my topics. i ended up doing a maths paper a day to revise for maths and around a topic or two a day for bio and chem. in the month before exams i was revising around 4-5 hours a day (usually 2 before school) which was sustainable and i didn't feel worn out at all, i still went out with my friends and visited friends at uni a couple of times for the weekend. as exams came around, i was probably burning out (along with everyone else i knew) and would just do a couple of hours a day in the actual exam period.
as results day rolled around, i was getting more and more nervous and ended up having different unis for different courses on speed dial for clearing.
thankfully, i ended up getting A*A*A and even my teachers were surprised at my grades. once you get into a good routine of doing a few hours a day, it makes progress consistent, there's no need to be working for 6-8 hours a day as your brain simply cannot take in any more info. if you're stuck, come back to the topic tomorrow and it honestly will make slightly more sense.

heya there i see you do religious studies just like me .... do you do DCT by any chance?
Original post by _jbello.10
ayyyy we are all in the same boat
need my 3 As for med (bio, chem and maths)
hoping everyone stays motivated for the coming exams!
still so scary to me how my whole 2 years of A Levels will be judged in 9 exams spread across 15 days :frown:

IKR! If only examiners knew the sleepless nights and anxiety I’ve gotten.We can do it though, good luck & keep me uodated
Original post by vetstudent24
guys i just wanted to say best of luck for your summer exams, just take it quite steady for now as you probably feel like exams are very close but in reality you can improve so much in just a matter of months.
around this time last year, i had just achieved BBC in my mocks. i was slightly disappointed as i knew that i had to get AAA for my vet school offer. around a month before the exams is when i properly started revising by making flashcards of common QUESTIONS (not just pretty notes) for biology and doing past paper questions for all my topics. i ended up doing a maths paper a day to revise for maths and around a topic or two a day for bio and chem. in the month before exams i was revising around 4-5 hours a day (usually 2 before school) which was sustainable and i didn't feel worn out at all, i still went out with my friends and visited friends at uni a couple of times for the weekend. as exams came around, i was probably burning out (along with everyone else i knew) and would just do a couple of hours a day in the actual exam period.
as results day rolled around, i was getting more and more nervous and ended up having different unis for different courses on speed dial for clearing.
thankfully, i ended up getting A*A*A and even my teachers were surprised at my grades. once you get into a good routine of doing a few hours a day, it makes progress consistent, there's no need to be working for 6-8 hours a day as your brain simply cannot take in any more info. if you're stuck, come back to the topic tomorrow and it honestly will make slightly more sense.

Well done! That’s a solid set of grades
.Just to ask, in this time of year 13, content wise, were you strong?Hd you gone over and understood all content by now ? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest