The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh - Where to live?

I am sorry if this question has already been asked several times but I could not find a thread. Please send me a link.

I am going to be a post-grad student in criminology starting September 2020. I will be moving to Edinburgh from Japan with my husband and two cats. Starting to look at places to live but I don't understand the city well enough to know what areas I should be looking in? Does anyone have advice? Thanks!
Hi there, I'm from Edinburgh, it all depends really on you wanting to rent or buy something, but I would imagine you be renting at first so look at some of the areas I mentioned below for a starting point and take it from there, I will suggest you ask any place you renting if they allow you to have pets in there house /flat as some don't allow any animals okay as just to pre warn you on this .

Depending on where about you are doing criminology in Edinburgh will be much easier to find somewhere within that part of the city .

There are areas like Morningside & Grange, Bruitsfield area ( just down from Morningside ), Newington, Liberton, Roseburn & Murrayfield, Duddingston those are the best and good areas if Edinburgh.
Then there's places like Leith, Gorgie, Portobello, City centre - if you looking to rent then look up some estate agents in the Edinburgh area ( ESEP is a good one to look up ) do some research into the place you wanting and contact the estate agents directly for advice okay .
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, I'm from Edinburgh, it all depends really on you wanting to rent or buy something, but I would imagine you be renting at first so look at some of the areas I mentioned below for a starting point and take it from there, I will suggest you ask any place you renting if they allow you to have pets in there house /flat as some don't allow any animals okay as just to pre warn you on this .

Depending on where about you are doing criminology in Edinburgh will be much easier to find somewhere within that part of the city .

There are areas like Morningside & Grange, Bruitsfield area ( just down from Morningside ), Newington, Liberton, Roseburn & Murrayfield, Duddingston those are the best and good areas if Edinburgh.
Then there's places like Leith, Gorgie, Portobello, City centre - if you looking to rent then look up some estate agents in the Edinburgh area ( ESEP is a good one to look up ) do some research into the place you wanting and contact the estate agents directly for advice okay .

Thank you, this is really helpful. I just had no idea where to start.
Original post by Kittyinjapan
Thank you, this is really helpful. I just had no idea where to start.

That's no problems okay . its some information for to at least help you get started

Best thing is to perhaps contact a estate agents that does lettings for advice on places as look up on the internet for those, if you want somewhere close to the university then it probably be around the city centre and surrounding area as well as edinburgh university is up south bridges way so look for areas in Newington, Grange, prestonfield, tollcross, which is within distance of the university.

God luck ok
Original post by Kittyinjapan
I am sorry if this question has already been asked several times but I could not find a thread. Please send me a link.

I am going to be a post-grad student in criminology starting September 2020. I will be moving to Edinburgh from Japan with my husband and two cats. Starting to look at places to live but I don't understand the city well enough to know what areas I should be looking in? Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

Hello there!

Choosing the right University of Edinburgh accommodation primarily depends on two broad factors - location and price. I will mention a few of my favourites right here as well.
Options like Lady Nicolson House, Portsburgh Court, Vita Student Edinburgh and Student Castle Edinburgh are located close to universities, if you are looking for that.
And if you prefer living close to the city centre to not miss out on all the fun things happening around, check out Elliott House, Gateway Apartments, McDonald Road and Shurbhill House.
Even if you are on a budget, options like Nido Haymarket, iQ Grove, iQ Fountainbridge and New Park come with luxury living options even without burning a whole in your pockets! You can check out a wide selection of more options at Unilodgers as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending