Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was having a look at the St.Andrews website and found their tool for gauging which entry requirements you are to meet based off your prior school and post code.

I found out, after entering my details I would qualify for the standard requirements for St. Andrews. However, as a bit of fun and out of curiosity, I decided to enter the post code of a few addresses, eventually entering the post code of my neighbour.

This person lives at the very most a ten second walk away from my front door to theirs, I can see in to his kitchen as I am writing this right now (creepy?.....yes..), yet this person, attending the same school, would need ABB grades versus my AAA, meaning living on the wrong side of the street puts me in a different category to my neighbour (who seems to be making one hell of a pasta....sorry).

Is this just an example of some really bad luck, or could I mention this if I were to apply?

Without going in to too much detail, I would definitely be considered to have come from a 'disadvantaged' background (free school meals, single mother, first in family to finish A levels etc.), however I really don't like to think that would have a role to play in admission, but if we are looking at post codes then clearly it may have some factor...
Ashmiek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was having a look at the St.Andrews website and found their tool for gauging which entry requirements you are to meet based off your prior school and post code.

I found out, after entering my details I would qualify for the standard requirements for St. Andrews. However, as a bit of fun and out of curiosity, I decided to enter the post code of a few addresses, eventually entering the post code of my neighbour.

This person lives at the very most a ten second walk away from my front door to theirs, I can see in to his kitchen as I am writing this right now (creepy?.....yes..), yet this person, attending the same school, would need ABB grades versus my AAA, meaning living on the wrong side of the street puts me in a different category to my neighbour (who seems to be making one hell of a pasta....sorry).

Is this just an example of some really bad luck, or could I mention this if I were to apply?

Without going in to too much detail, I would definitely be considered to have come from a 'disadvantaged' background (free school meals, single mother, first in family to finish A levels etc.), however I really don't like to think that would have a role to play in admission, but if we are looking at post codes then clearly it may have some factor...
Are you both applying to the same exact course?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ashmiek)
Are you both applying to the same exact course?
No no, question was completely hypothetical... My neighbour is not applying, I am just saying if he did, he would need ABB while I would need AAA. Yes, it is the same course however.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not sure I agree with contextual offers. It doesn’t seem fair the way eligibility is determined and I think unless there’s a strong reason why your preparation and exams were disrupted then it’s unfair to demand less from people for the same course.

I was in a similar situation to yourself. Luckily I got 5 (standard) offers, but had my grades not been as good I would have been eligible for contextual if I’d lived a little bit further away in the same neighbourhood.
Last edited by Em.-.; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (109)
28.02%
No (280)
71.98%

Watched Threads