The Student Room Group

GCSE English fail

I only perform well in subjects I am interested in . I am interested in math , all sciences including psychology, philosophy and logic , and some of economics. I HATE English . I am a person who loves logic and creativity , but NOT ENGLISH , If I can swear I would have. I know for sure I will fail GCSE english , I sleep in class , NEVER do my coursework , and I have 0 interest in such a subject , my question is , does it matter If I fail english GCSE , will it not allow me to learn subjects I am interested in the future , Will it undermine my abilities in other subjects?? I really want to fail english and run away without it having an impact on my future.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PancakeFist
I only perform well in subjects I am interested in . I am interested in math , all sciences including psychology, philosophy and logic , and some of economics. I HATE English . I am a person who loves logic and creativity , but NOT ENGLISH , If I can swear I would have. I know for sure I will fail GCSE english , I sleep in class , NEVER do my coursework , and I have 0 interest in such a subject , my question is , does it matter If I fail english GCSE , will it not allow me to learn subjects I am interested in the future , Will it undermine my abilities in other subjects?? I really want to fail english and run away without it having an impact on my future.

Normally sixth forms require it as well as unis. Youd better start speaking to sixth form although easier if you just did what was needed to pass.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Normally sixth forms require it as well as unis. Youd better start speaking to sixth form although easier if you just did what was needed to pass.

I will never do well in english , I just hate the subject and does not fit my interests , If I learn something I am not interested in , I will only learn it superficially or not learn it at all. If I pass my A-levels will they cover up my english GCSE fail???
I will fail english , all I need to know is whether it leaves an impact or not :frown: :frown:
I will never do well in english , I just hate the subject and does not fit my interests , If I learn something I am not interested in , I will only learn it superficially or not learn it at all. If I pass my A-levels will they cover up my english GCSE fail???
I will fail english , all I need to know is whether it leaves an impact or not :frown: :frown:

As I said it is normally mandatory for entry into sixth form or for uni entry.
Reply 4
As I said it is normally mandatory for entry into sixth form or for uni entry.

Well , I just do not care , I am failing english , I will follow my interests no matter what . Even the teachers who teach english are boring af and do not give a damn about my interests , so I do not give a damn about them or their stupid boring uninteresting lesson.
Well , I just do not care , I am failing english , I will follow my interests no matter what . Even the teachers who teach english are boring af and do not give a damn about my interests , so I do not give a damn about them or their stupid boring uninteresting lesson.

Well you had better check whether it affects your future by deciding if you wish to study A level or are happy with college.
If you think yoiu want t go to university , whether they require GCSE English as mandatory.
You dont appear to care though.
You can always teach yourself most A levels.
Btw you have to keep retaking English until you are 18.
Reply 6
Well you had better check whether it affects your future by deciding if you wish to study A level or are happy with college.
If you think yoiu want t go to university , whether they require GCSE English as mandatory.
You dont appear to care though.
You can always teach yourself most A levels.
Btw you have to keep retaking English until you are 18.

Guess I should not go to uni then
And just follow my passions and see where it leads , I do not see how english GCSE will help me in the future. And I do not see why I MUST learn something I have 0 interest and motivation in.
Guess I should not go to uni then
And just follow my passions and see where it leads , I do not see how english GCSE will help me in the future. And I do not see why I MUST learn something I have 0 interest and motivation in.

If you are in the UK then degrees tend to be spoken in English and people speak English so your ability to do so is seen as important.
Its also Law that you need to keep retaking it until you pass or reach 18.
I would say either knuckle down and get it out of the way or ask if you cna do functional skills.
If you fail it, you will be made to do it until you are 18. Sounds to me like you just don't want to learn it and so you'll never pass it. I didn't care for maths, but i knew i had to do well in it otherwise i'd fail.
Reply 9
If you are in the UK then degrees tend to be spoken in English and people speak English so your ability to do so is seen as important.
Its also Law that you need to keep retaking it until you pass or reach 18.
I would say either knuckle down and get it out of the way or ask if you cna do functional skills.

So I need to learn english just because the degree is spoken in english and people speak english ? A 7 yr old boy can speak english! I want to be a philosopher and scientist , and I also have some side goals like becoming a chess grandmaster , other than that I do not see myself writing a narrative or descriptive and writing a useless essay anywhere in my life.
If it is law that I need to keep retaking then I will just reach 18 .
Original post by Ferrograd
If you fail it, you will be made to do it until you are 18. Sounds to me like you just don't want to learn it and so you'll never pass it. I didn't care for maths, but i knew i had to do well in it otherwise i'd fail

Of course I do not want to learn such a stupid , useless , uninteresting subject .
As soon as I get into the english classroom a hit of boredom just hits me.
And when the teacher starts talking and telling me to write I just fall asleep .
I can not handle it anymore , either I stop doing GCSE english or that is it
So I need to learn english just because the degree is spoken in english and people speak english ? A 7 yr old boy can speak english! I want to be a philosopher and scientist , and I also have some side goals like becoming a chess grandmaster , other than that I do not see myself writing a narrative or descriptive and writing a useless essay anywhere in my life.

Ok you against the world. Just telling you how it is.

I'm pretty sure sixth forms and colleges completely and utterly require it for anything. Also, just for my two cents in the matter, English is important.
English Lit- it's the changing of attitudes over time, the history of our nation. Also, analysing situations are ALWAYS going to help you. Being able to read between the lines of what someone is saying is an absolute skill.
English Lang - SPAG (need I say more) and being able to write creatively shows that you're able to think outside the box and improvise. Heck, all of the paper is improvisation. That's also a skill.
Would you say these skills learnt from English are in anyway stupid or useless? Are the courses that you will need English to get in (doesn't matter if it's academic or apprenticeship, they all need it) uninteresting?
If you're so determined to fail English, then you'll have to keep retaking until 18 and any college you go to will not accept you.
It's your right to hate the subject, but please at least see some of the benefits.
Of course I do not want to learn such a stupid , useless , uninteresting subject .
As soon as I get into the english classroom a hit of boredom just hits me.
And when the teacher starts talking and telling me to write I just fall asleep .
I can not handle it anymore , either I stop doing GCSE english or that is it

Are you not a native English spaker?

Sure, its not an interesting subject but unless you're say dyslexic or have some underlying ailment, it is certainly not the hardest subject. You should probably pay more attention. And you really don't get a choice in the matter. You don't need GCSE English literature but you MUST have GCSE language. No employer will take you without it basically.

you need a good English GCSE grade to get into college (normally a grade 4 and above) and to get into uni (normally a grade 5 and above). even if you have no interest in it you still need to try, if you fail first time, only 50% of people pass second time round. it gets harder as you go, so it's worth giving it your all now and passing rather than having to do it later, and whilst your friends are going to college, you'll be stuck doing GCSE still. it's not about speaking English, it's about passing the GCSE, that's what you should focus on, as long as you pass, you will be fine. I got a grade 5 in English and I'm doing it as an a-level now - I don't even like English lang that much, I just need to do 3 a levels to get into uni and study business management. you need to think about the bigger picture.
Original post by Ferrograd
Are you not a native English spaker?

Sure, its not an interesting subject but unless you're say dyslexic or have some underlying ailment, it is certainly not the hardest subject. You should probably pay more attention. And you really don't get a choice in the matter. You don't need GCSE English literature but you MUST have GCSE language. No employer will take you without it basically.

I am a native english speaker , still is not an excuse for me to find english not boring .
I am a native english speaker , still is not an excuse for me to find english not boring .

doesn't matter if it is boring, get over it. you clearly need the GCSE so just get on with it and start studying for it. if you have the 'i can't be bothered because I don't like it' attitude then I can guarantee you that that is the same attitude employers, colleges and universities will have with you.

Successful philosophers and scientists tend to be well-read and spoken, surely English will help you massively in that sense?

If it’s any help, I too am doing English as part of my GCSEs. I’m not too passionate nor hateful towards the subject and will get it out of the way with a decent grade to move on to A levels.

If you hate the subject that much, don’t let it beat you. Beat it.
Original post by SnowMiku
I'm pretty sure sixth forms and colleges completely and utterly require it for anything. Also, just for my two cents in the matter, English is important.
English Lit- it's the changing of attitudes over time, the history of our nation. Also, analysing situations are ALWAYS going to help you. Being able to read between the lines of what someone is saying is an absolute skill.
English Lang - SPAG (need I say more) and being able to write creatively shows that you're able to think outside the box and improvise. Heck, all of the paper is improvisation. That's also a skill.
Would you say these skills learnt from English are in anyway stupid or useless? Are the courses that you will need English to get in (doesn't matter if it's academic or apprenticeship, they all need it) uninteresting?
If you're so determined to fail English, then you'll have to keep retaking until 18 and any college you go to will not accept you.
It's your right to hate the subject, but please at least see some of the benefits.

Creativity is not necessarily acquired from english. I am already a creative person because I trained myself using other ways to be creative. Analysing situations is also not necessarily acquired from english , and it is a very easy skill to practice . I feel like you need space and time to be creative , most of my english coursework either I haven't finished or rushed because of the really short time to write it.
Creativity is not necessarily acquired from english. I am already a creative person because I trained myself using other ways to be creative. Analysing situations is also not necessarily acquired from english , and it is a very easy skill to practice . I feel like you need space and time to be creative , most of my english coursework either I haven't finished or rushed because of the really short time to write it.

to me it sounds like you are just unorganised and are using your disinterest in English as an excuse for not doing well. I may be wrong but, maybe you should try and organise your English work better, you could feel more motivated to do it to a satisfactory standard and hand it in on time. do a study planner/timetable?

Quick Reply

Latest