Which medical school asks for a 5 in English language instead of a 6?

Watch this thread
Cherrygrape1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone
do you know any that except a 5 in English language instead of a 6. Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by Cherrygrape1234; 2 years ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
With regard to your latter question, check here...

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
With regard to your latter question, check here...

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
Thank you this is very helpful!
username4941452
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There are little to no med schools who will accept lower than a B in English. Go retake the exam if you don’t want straight out rejections
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ezza1234)
Thank you this is very helpful!
As you can see, there are more than enough medical schools to which you can apply. However, a 5 will weaken your overall profile as well as restrict your choices.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone
do you know any that except a 5 in English language instead of a 6. Many thanks in advance!
(Original post by Hallowkin)
There are little to no med schools who will accept lower than a B in English. Go retake the exam if you don’t want straight out rejections
Around 10 med schools will accept a 5 in Eng Lang, though at at least one of those (Leeds) it would make it highly unlikely you would score highly enough to get an interview.
Resitting Eng Lang would strngthen your application, though there are a few med schools that do not accept GCSE resits, so do check this out before making final decisions
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
As you can see, there are more than enough medical schools to which you can apply. However, a 5 will weaken your overall profile as well as restrict your choices.
What if 5 in English is your only bad grade as I got 6 7 and 8 in the rest??
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
Around 10 med schools will accept a 5 in Eng Lang, though at at least one of those (Leeds) it would make it highly unlikely you would score highly enough to get an interview.
Resitting Eng Lang would strngthen your application, though there are a few med schools that do not accept GCSE resits, so do check this out before making final decisions
I know I don’t want to resit because I don’t have time as I’m doing a levels but thank you for the information!!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Then you'd be best resitting it!

Plenty of med applicants resit their GCSEs while doing their A-levels.

It's short term pain for long term gain (i.e. opening up more choices).

At the end of the day, you can of course choose not to resit and just apply with your Grade 5 strategically - but if you don't meet the minimum requirements and apply to those that will require Grade 6 or above, you'll just get a straight automatic rejection. Remember, you'll be competing with plenty of others have > Grade 5 in English language.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ecolier, above, is the expert..
Last edited by ageshallnot; 2 years ago
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Then you'd be best resitting it!

Plenty of med applicants resit their GCSEs while doing their A-levels.

It's short term pain for long term gain (i.e. opening up more choices).

At the end of the day, you can of course choose not to resit and just apply with your Grade 5 strategically - but if you don't meet the minimum requirements and apply to those that will require Grade 6 or above, you'll just get a straight automatic rejection. Remember, you'll be competing with plenty of others have > Grade 5 in English language.
Thank you for the information, but I thought that many universities dislike resits?
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the information, but I thought that many universities dislike resits?
Not for GCSE. As I say above, there are only a few who do not allow it, eg Nottingham. And some of those that do not allow other GCSE resits will allow Eng Lang, eg Leicester
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
Not for GCSE. As I say above, there are only a few who do not allow it, eg Nottingham. And some of those that do not allow other GCSE resits will allow Eng Lang, eg Leicester
Oh right thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (38)
34.55%
The paper was reasonable (43)
39.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
16.36%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10%

Watched Threads