The Student Room Group

Which medical school asks for a 5 in English language instead of a 6?

Hi everyone
do you know any that except a 5 in English language instead of a 6. Many thanks in advance! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Thank you this is very helpful!
There are little to no med schools who will accept lower than a B in English. Go retake the exam if you don’t want straight out rejections
Original post by Ezza1234
Thank you this is very helpful!

As you can see, there are more than enough medical schools to which you can apply. However, a 5 will weaken your overall profile as well as restrict your choices.
Reply 5
Hi everyone
do you know any that except a 5 in English language instead of a 6. Many thanks in advance! :smile:

Original post by Hallowkin
There are little to no med schools who will accept lower than a B in English. Go retake the exam if you don’t want straight out rejections

Around 10 med schools will accept a 5 in Eng Lang, though at at least one of those (Leeds) it would make it highly unlikely you would score highly enough to get an interview.
Resitting Eng Lang would strngthen your application, though there are a few med schools that do not accept GCSE resits, so do check this out before making final decisions
Original post by ageshallnot
As you can see, there are more than enough medical schools to which you can apply. However, a 5 will weaken your overall profile as well as restrict your choices.

What if 5 in English is your only bad grade as I got 6 7 and 8 in the rest??
Original post by GANFYD
Around 10 med schools will accept a 5 in Eng Lang, though at at least one of those (Leeds) it would make it highly unlikely you would score highly enough to get an interview.
Resitting Eng Lang would strngthen your application, though there are a few med schools that do not accept GCSE resits, so do check this out before making final decisions

I know :frown: I don’t want to resit because I don’t have time as I’m doing a levels but thank you for the information!!
What if 5 in English is your only bad grade as I got 6 7 and 8 in the rest??

Ecolier, above, is the expert..
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you for the information, but I thought that many universities dislike resits?
Reply 10
Thank you for the information, but I thought that many universities dislike resits?

Not for GCSE. As I say above, there are only a few who do not allow it, eg Nottingham. And some of those that do not allow other GCSE resits will allow Eng Lang, eg Leicester
Original post by GANFYD
Not for GCSE. As I say above, there are only a few who do not allow it, eg Nottingham. And some of those that do not allow other GCSE resits will allow Eng Lang, eg Leicester

Oh right thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending