The Student Room Group

Got rejected, yet predicted meets requirement

Hmm, I'm very curious. I'm saying this on behalf of a friend, as we're both confused.

With a predicted of AAAA (foundation course) I got rejected from University of Manchester, but the predicted for the course I'm doing is, generally, an AAA? I haven't fallen below an A in my mid-terms either so what could be the reason I got rejected?
They’re obliged to give you a reason. If it isn’t in the rejection letter (on Track), call them up and they’ll reiterate the reasoning to you.
You don't automatically get an offer just because you meet the grade requirements. Something in your personal statement or reference might have put them off. You might not have also met any GCSE requirements.

Only way you'll know for sure is if you email them...
email them
I agree with above (could be personal statement or other requirements), but I would say, give them a call. Emailing takes a while for them to get back to you, although, depends on the severity of desperation. When and whether you want to get the reason is totally up to you. Goodluck.
Original post by Ruelynn
Hmm, I'm very curious. I'm saying this on behalf of a friend, as we're both confused.

With a predicted of AAAA (foundation course) I got rejected from University of Manchester, but the predicted for the course I'm doing is, generally, an AAA? I haven't fallen below an A in my mid-terms either so what could be the reason I got rejected?

A university like Manchester receives far more applications than the places it has available. It's also a fact that many teachers are, how shall we say, a little optimistic in their grade predictions.
many students will have met the predicted grades, so then they'll have to make their decision based on personal statement, and possibly GCSE grades too. they can't accept everybody who meets the predicted grades
Original post by wastedcuriosity
many students will have met the predicted grades, so then they'll have to make their decision based on personal statement, and possibly GCSE grades too. they can't accept everybody who meets the predicted grades

Of course, as many of us have been saying for years, it's way past time for universities to stop doing offers based on predicted grades, and wait until A-level results are known. Yes, it's much less convenient administratively, but it would be much fairer.
Original post by David Getling
Of course, as many of us have been saying for years, it's way past time for universities to stop doing offers based on predicted grades, and wait until A-level results are known. Yes, it's much less convenient administratively, but it would be much fairer.

Agreed
Original post by David Getling

definitely, I remember it caused me so much stress as well, both during exams and the waiting period is horrible!
Reply 10
I'm really frustrated, my top choice too... I'll send an email I guess.
The guidance counselor just told me it's because I'm doing foundation and they have limited choices. I'm going to call instead, I'd really prefer to hear a non-automated answer.

Thanks for the quick replies
Original post by Ruelynn
I'm really frustrated, my top choice too... I'll send an email I guess.
The guidance counselor just told me it's because I'm doing foundation and they have limited choices. I'm going to call instead, I'd really prefer to hear a non-automated answer.

Thanks for the quick replies

This is the 3rd time somebody has been on here stating they have been rejected y Manchester whilst reaching or exceeding grades. Anyone from the university able to advise what is going on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending