The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ragman75
1. then dont talk about kids then, unless you believe its moral to put children on HRT
2. what you said is so wrong and misses the point so much its not worth telling you how bad of an argument that is. Re read what i wrote and really ask yourself "does what i replied with make sense"
4.yes ofc there isn't but there is no reason not to, yeah there is you have a record of your birth certificate, probably records of where you went to school and so on so there will be a paper trail. But overall this argument is bad, so i have numbers to prove my point and you have nothing but for some reason you are right and im wrong; makes a lot of sense kid. Yeah ofc thousands of you exist but you arent just dispersed through the country you concentrate in certain places and there are a tiny tiny amount of you. On top of that most of you are clockable because to the human eye the average man and women are like white and black, impossible to mistake for each other, therefore since medical tech isnt magic most of you will not pass. Yes you will get the odd trans girl that has a small frame, dainty features and small hands as a guy, but that by statistical probability is an outlier. Most will be average guys about 5'9-10+ reasonably masculine face and build with decently big hands and feet, this guy if he transitions will be clockable thats just the reality.

1) I spoke about my annoyances with the wrong claim that children up and down the country are having blockers rammed down their throats with no medical checks or balances, you're the one who ran with it.
2) You said being given an epi-pen when you're not allergic may cause problems. I said If I was allergic to testosterone i'd have bigger concerns. You made a non-equivalent point, I pointed out how absurd it is. Because yes testosterone and estrogen is dangerous, thats why it helps to be monitored by a GP when having it administered, which is what everyone should be having done anyway. Thats the point of this post. Congratulations for catching up.
3) About as cerebral as all your other points.
4) This guy doesn't know about the blocking of past identifiers or the fact that institutions are required to change all data upon a request to change a name and gender marker. He also doesn't know that birth certificate changes aren't enrolled. This guy doesn't know anything about the process at all!
Also there are trans women who are 6'3 who pass, just like how there are cis womem who are 6'3. Or do you think all cis women are 5'5 or under. Do you also think all cis men have huge hands and feet? How tall are the guys you know? Tallest guy I know is 5'8, but I know 3 cis women over 6 foot.
Dude, you have seen countless trans people you have not clocked. Sorry you had to find out you don't have a 6th sense this way.
Original post by DiddyDec
If you make a claim then the onus falls on your to provide the evidence for the claim.

That doesn't support your claim, she was quite clearly being grossly offensive not simply misgendering. The defendant made several accounts even after a civil settlement with the sole intent to offend and abuse.

Got anything relevant?

Im not saying you should provide evidence for my claim im saying you should think before you post.

No she is getting specifically fined 1 grand for intentionally miss gendering, you dont get fined that much for just insulting somone. Also what do you think the terms of gross offence are its not that she called her ugly, its that she missgendered her which caused gross offence.

Litterally in the article: "Giving evidence, Ms Hayden, 48, called Scottow a Twitter troll who had referred to her as ‘he’ or ‘him’."
"‘It’s calculated to violate my dignity as a woman.’"
"There were a number of tweets which were not only targeting me, they were targeting other people who were either transgender or who were perceived to be supportive of transgender people.’
"The judge said she knew what she was doing by persistently using male pronouns, causing her target ‘needless anxiety’."
Im not saying you should provide evidence for my claim im saying you should think before you post.

No she is getting specifically fined 1 grand for intentionally miss gendering, you dont get fined that much for just insulting somone. Also what do you think the terms of gross offence are its not that she called her ugly, its that she missgendered her which caused gross offence.

Litterally in the article: "Giving evidence, Ms Hayden, 48, called Scottow a Twitter troll who had referred to her as ‘he’ or ‘him’."
"‘It’s calculated to violate my dignity as a woman.’"
"There were a number of tweets which were not only targeting me, they were targeting other people who were either transgender or who were perceived to be supportive of transgender people.’
"The judge said she knew what she was doing by persistently using male pronouns, causing her target ‘needless anxiety’."

There is nothing to suggest it was for simply misgendering and your quotes do not support that line of the reasoning.

It was for comments made between Sept 18 and May 19, so nearly a year long campaign of harassment.

"You felt able to make personal and offensive comments about her [Ms Hayden]. It was abuse for the sake of it. Your comments contributed nothing to a debate.We teach children to be kind to each other and not to call each other names in the playground."

While misgendering was a reason it was not the sole reason for the prosecution. For instance her claims that the victim was "racist" form part of the judgement as the defendant was making claims that she knew to be false in order to cause harm. Calling her a "pig in a wig" also formed part of the judgement.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/127
Original post by princetonalec
1) There's also no data suggesting that HRT is a risk, considering the fact that cis people also get the treatment should they have faulty thyroids, issues with their ovaries, and other problems producing their own hormones. Hormone replacement therapy isn't just a trans person thing, either ban it for everyone because of the risks or step back.
2) Getting hormones in the UK is near impossible, but if you can show a me a study which was not conducted by someone like the Sun on how easy hormones are to get legally whilst being fully monitored by a GP please do tell me, because I'd love to make use of that service myself and despite being heavily involved with the online trans uk scene I have yet to hear about this mythical way of getting hormones ASAP.
3) This article is about adults, not children. I brought up the annoyance with the scaremongering 'children are being given dangerous drugs like mad! !!!' because hormones, as previously mentioned, are hard to get.
4) I know all the risks of going through HRT, but as an autonomous adult who knows the risks and the benefits I have decided I want to anyway. Do you think I should not have bodily autonomy?
5) Plastic surgery found dead: murdered by genes.
6) I'm going to tell you something that will terrify you. There are thousands of trans people you have walked past and never clocked. There are people you will never know are trans, and they are serving your coffee, fixing your boiler, and cutting your hair. We pass much, much better than you think.

1) Yes there is it has been known for years that taking oestrogen increases you likelihood of developing certain cancers
2) As it should be for 2 reasons. 1 to prevent misuse from those who dont need them and 2 to correctly control dosage from a qualified doctor
3) But you brought them up so it's understandable for that person to respond to it
4) You're right
5) Wut
6) Nice more power to them
Original post by RareNebulas
1) Yes there is it has been known for years that taking oestrogen increases you likelihood of developing certain cancers
2) As it should be for 2 reasons. 1 to prevent misuse from those who dont need them and 2 to correctly control dosage from a qualified doctor
3) But you brought them up so it's understandable for that person to respond to it
4) You're right
5) Wut
6) Nice more power to them

1) So surely we should stop all women who have had ovarian cancer from having HRT then. Every medication has risks, but HRT is not somehow more risky than the others. It's just as risky as your actual hormones. Trans men aren't more likely to develop heart disease because testosterone evil, we're more likely to develop heart disease because testosterone in all men increases the risk of heart disease.
2) But The Problem With That As Described In The Article I Linked Is People Are Self Medicating Due To Long Wait Lists.
3) Yeah, I brought up an exaggeration made by uneducated people on the topic of HRT. The whole topic is still HRT. If I used the turn of phrase 'i'm sweating like a whore in church' during a hot day, and you went 'well actually whores do sweat in church' you'd be speaking off topic.
1. litterally just wrong https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-over-diagnosing-children-having-transgender-treatment-former-staff-warn-11875624, also this shouldnt be happening in the first place we dont know what these drugs to do kids long term at all
2.ffs its like trying to teach a pigeon chess. Not may cause problems will almost certainly cause a heart attack. I didnt make a non equivlent point, it was completely equivelent, person who has a nut allergy(person who has that random disease you talked about) takes epipen(hormone blockers) they will be fine. Person who doesn't have nut allergy(doesnt have disease) will have a heart attack(will have whole host of medical issues/we have no idea what will happen long term).

Again my point was that you cannot take results of drugs used on the sick to claim that they are safe to use on the healthy. Your babbling about allergies makes no sense what so ever, how does somone being alergic to a drug mean that successful treatment for people with health condidtions is safe for healthy people. by your logic anabolic steroids should be completly fine because they have medical applications .

3. this was left empty because its mindless babbling about something no one can understand, explain your point and how it is relevant and ill respond
4. Sorry i dont know the ins and outs of changing your identity, doesnt change my overall point tho does it.
- There arent(generally speaking) any trans women who are 6'3 who pass this is a lie you have told yourself, people are just polite/dont want to get hated on by the people around them
- the average height for women in the uk is 5'3.5 so no i dont think all women are under 5'5 but almost all of them are around that height or less. also I said the male height was 5'9-10 not 5'5 so your argument here is just wrong by default as your trying to gaslight my original point
- didn't say all cismen had huge hands and feet i said big, and by that i meant significantly and very noticeably bigger than women, which is true unarguably
-the guys I know are averagely sized, a lot of them are around ranges 5'9 - 6'3, which is a normal range
-the claim that the tallest guy you know is 5'5 but you know 3 women over 6'0 is either a lie or proves that your personal experience is such a far outlier from whats normal your own anecdotes are worthless, thats like saying you have never met someone with blonde hair.
-That claim single handelly proves that your argument, that ive men trans women and didnt know it, is completely wrong because its based on the premise that your personal exp is normal which it isnt at all.

1) You're still banging on about hormone blockers. We are talking about HRT treatments in adults. Either keep up, or just admit you're here to scaremongering. Also once again the assertion that blockers haven't gone through clinical trials is disgusting. No one knows what will happen if I take my ADHD medication for an extended period of time because it hasn't been studied, that doesn't mean that I was given a rouge medication, does it?
2) How do you know how many trans people there are? We don't even know how many migrants are in the UK, and you think one piece of statistical data based on self admission is trustworthy? You know tonnes of trans people, they just aren't out to you. Trust me, as someone who is in the community, I think I'm aware of how many trans people there are. Just because you're scared you don't know who is and isn't trans doesn't mean you get to deny reality.
Also imagine thinking people like Nikkietutorials doesn't pass. Lovely woman over 6 foot there, and if you really think she's clockable you clearly have a bigger ego than you know what to do with.
1) So surely we should stop all women who have had ovarian cancer from having HRT then. Every medication has risks, but HRT is not somehow more risky than the others. It's just as risky as your actual hormones. Trans men aren't more likely to develop heart disease because testosterone evil, we're more likely to develop heart disease because testosterone in all men increases the risk of heart disease.
2) But The Problem With That As Described In The Article I Linked Is People Are Self Medicating Due To Long Wait Lists.
3) Yeah, I brought up an exaggeration made by uneducated people on the topic of HRT. The whole topic is still HRT. If I used the turn of phrase 'i'm sweating like a whore in church' during a hot day, and you went 'well actually whores do sweat in church' you'd be speaking off topic.

1) That's just wrong weak antibiotics carry almost no risk depending on the type in contrast to HRT that could literally cause a life threatening illness more so than just 'regular hormones'
2) I understand what you're saying but I'm still sceptical that hormones should be given more easily because of the risks that it would carry.
3) yeah pretty much
1) That's just wrong weak antibiotics carry almost no risk depending on the type in contrast to HRT that could literally cause a life threatening illness more so than just 'regular hormones'
2) I understand what you're saying but I'm still sceptical that hormones should be given more easily because of the risks that it would carry.
3) yeah pretty much

1) Sorry, do you think hormone replacement therapy only happens to trans people? It doesn't. Women who need hormone replacement therapy aren't getting antibiotics, they're getting the exact same pills a trans woman does.
2) But people are self medicating, self harming, and committing suicide over this. People aren't ever going to be able to walk into a gp and demand HRT, it would never work like that and no one wants that.
The NHS's goal to seeing a patient is 18 weeks. I'm waiting for about 58 more, despite already being on the waiting list since last year. We don't want hormones in halloween candy, we just want the wait we're supposed to get.
Since i view gender dysphoria as a serious mental illness i find it alarming that demand is so high for these services that waiting lists can exceed two years and we need to address this culture of encouragement and take further measures to develop a proper mental health strategy to help people deal with the desire to become somebody else.

That aside i will say that i found OP's tone in the post to be slightly entitled. As a taxpayer i don't think that i should be burdened to pay for these procedures and OP should consider going private if they are really intent.
Original post by Rakas21
Since i view gender dysphoria as a serious mental illness i find it alarming that demand is so high for these services that waiting lists can exceed two years and we need to address this culture of encouragement and take further measures to develop a proper mental health strategy to help people deal with the desire to become somebody else.

That aside i will say that i found OP's tone in the post to be slightly entitled. As a taxpayer i don't think that i should be burdened to pay for these procedures and OP should consider going private if they are really intent.

Entitled to healthcare?

What healthcare do you view as acceptable?
Original post by Rakas21

Oh I have considered going private. I also plan to get a job to raise money for it, since my family is unsupportive and actually forced me to cancel a previously made private appointment when I could afford it at threat of kicking me out.
I don't think I should be burdened to pay for a prison system which unfairly incarcerates nonviolent offenders who would benefit more from councilling and continued support: which is why I want to become a teacher to help steer young people away from this path as much as I physically can, but i'm still going to pay my taxes.
Original post by DiddyDec
Entitled to healthcare?

What healthcare do you view as acceptable?

Entitled to healthcare in terms of preventing disease yes, entitled to pander in a manner which you choose, no. As i have said, gender dysphoria is a mental illness and thus access to mental health services should be a given but the suicide rate of transgender people would suggest that assertions of their 'right to change gender at the taxpayers expense' should be looked upon skeptically. The return on investment in health outcomes is low and the NHS already provides far too many non-essential services.
1) Sorry, do you think hormone replacement therapy only happens to trans people? It doesn't. Women who need hormone replacement therapy aren't getting antibiotics, they're getting the exact same pills a trans woman does.
2) But people are self medicating, self harming, and committing suicide over this. People aren't ever going to be able to walk into a gp and demand HRT, it would never work like that and no one wants that.
The NHS's goal to seeing a patient is 18 weeks. I'm waiting for about 58 more, despite already being on the waiting list since last year. We don't want hormones in halloween candy, we just want the wait we're supposed to get.

1) I know but it doesnt mean HRT is without major risks
2) Yeah I agree I guess I didnt realise how bad the problem was,
1) I know but it doesnt mean HRT is without major risks
2) Yeah I agree I guess I didnt realise how bad the problem was,

But if HRT has major risks then people who want it restricted to trans people must also argue for restriction to cis people too. That's the crux of this issue: cis people who need HRT normally get it within the 18 weeks, trans people who need HRT normally get it after a 2-3 year wait time (since 2 years is to the first appointment and treatment is normally only agreed upon in the second, which can take 6 months to a year to take place) after having psychological evaluations and constant scrutiny from the media and their peers.
My argument is we either paint it all with the same brush, or we accept that there sre discrepancies which are based in nothing other than largely transphobia.
Original post by Rakas21
Entitled to healthcare in terms of preventing disease yes, entitled to pander in a manner which you choose, no. As i have said, gender dysphoria is a mental illness and thus access to mental health services should be a given but the suicide rate of transgender people would suggest that assertions of their 'right to change gender at the taxpayers expense' should be looked upon skeptically. The return on investment in health outcomes is low and the NHS already provides far too many non-essential services.

The best evidence based treatment should be provided on an individual basis, what that treatment consists of is entirely dependant on the patient. There is no one size fits all solution in medicine.

Presumably you would be quite content if they just offed themselves to save you the taxpayer a bit of money?
But if HRT has major risks then people who want it restricted to trans people must also argue for restriction to cis people too. That's the crux of this issue: cis people who need HRT normally get it within the 18 weeks, trans people who need HRT normally get it after a 2-3 year wait time (since 2 years is to the first appointment and treatment is normally only agreed upon in the second, which can take 6 months to a year to take place) after having psychological evaluations and constant scrutiny from the media and their peers.
My argument is we either paint it all with the same brush, or we accept that there sre discrepancies which are based in nothing other than largely transphobia.

tbh I thought it was a blanket problem and it affected all those who were on HRT. But I can understand the 2 year wait time, it's a serious, permanent life changing decision that needs careful thought.
Original post by Rakas21

I hate to break it to you, but most trans suicides don't happen because they went through transitioning. Despite our small population numbers a study in Scotland found 98% of trans people they interviewed experiencing some form of domestic abuse, hate crimes against trans people are up 70-80%, multiple trans people report being attacked at work by either customers or coworkers (The numner 1 in 8 is sticking out to me for some reason, but i'd have to double check).
We're committing suicide because no on likes us and no one takes us seriously, not because we went through physical transition to try and reduce dysphoria.
Surely trans people not clogging up the mental health system over something which can be easily resolved with medical intervention is a better use of NHS taxpayer money, over leaving suicidal, depressed, bipolar, and anorexic persons fighting for a resource which is being used largely unnecessarily by a group due to GIC staff being trained in dealing with trans peoples mental health needs, and the biggest cause of discomfort being dysphoria.
One time bills for surgery, vs decades of mental health support to try and convince someone they're not trans, which is cheaper I wonder.
tbh I thought it was a blanket problem and it affected all those who were on HRT. But I can understand the 2 year wait time, it's a serious, permanent life changing decision that needs careful thought.

And I have been thinking carefully for about 6 years now.
The way appointments work at a GIC is first someone is assessed to see what intervention would be best, because HRT isn't always chosen. Some people don't want it, some people aren't in the right mental space for it, some people don't have the right physical help for it.
A shorter waiting list doesn't mean no checks and balances. We are already assessed ruthlessly to make sure we're sure about this, the main barrier is the long wait time which often drives trans people to do what this very discussion is about:illegal and dangerous self medication.
And I have been thinking carefully for about 6 years now.
The way appointments work at a GIC is first someone is assessed to see what intervention would be best, because HRT isn't always chosen. Some people don't want it, some people aren't in the right mental space for it, some people don't have the right physical help for it.
A shorter waiting list doesn't mean no checks and balances. We are already assessed ruthlessly to make sure we're sure about this, the main barrier is the long wait time which often drives trans people to do what this very discussion is about:illegal and dangerous self medication.

yeah you're right
1) You're still banging on about hormone blockers. We are talking about HRT treatments in adults. Either keep up, or just admit you're here to scaremongering. Also once again the assertion that blockers haven't gone through clinical trials is disgusting. No one knows what will happen if I take my ADHD medication for an extended period of time because it hasn't been studied, that doesn't mean that I was given a rouge medication, does it?
2) How do you know how many trans people there are? We don't even know how many migrants are in the UK, and you think one piece of statistical data based on self admission is trustworthy? You know tonnes of trans people, they just aren't out to you. Trust me, as someone who is in the community, I think I'm aware of how many trans people there are. Just because you're scared you don't know who is and isn't trans doesn't mean you get to deny reality.
Also imagine thinking people like Nikkietutorials doesn't pass. Lovely woman over 6 foot there, and if you really think she's clockable you clearly have a bigger ego than you know what to do with.

- Not here to scaremonger its the truth that hormone blockers are untested long term and that they are using them on kids in the UK and across the world
-we do apparently "Stimulant medications have been prescribed for ADHD for more than 40 years, so there is a lot of research showing that they are safe and effective for reducing the symptoms of ADHD while they are being taken" https://childmind.org/article/know-long-term-effects-adhd-medications/
-Also (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism)

-Yes we do we have the census, there is no reason a trans person would not admit they are trans on the census its an anonymous census done by the government. But more importantly your argument is so unbelievably illogical, you cant just say because my data might be wrong your claim with noe evidence has to be right. Thats like saying because no one has set foot on Jupiter its reasonable to believe the planet is made of cheese.
-you arent aware of how many there actually are infact the fact that you are in the community and other things stated before tells me you dont actually understand the full scope of how many trans people there are. It would be like me saying because 1/3 of my friends are black this country must be 30% black, you have an unrepresentative perspective.
- was hoping you would mention here because she does what a lot of trans girls(and admittedly normal girls do) and commited what can essentially be described as magic with camera angles. People didnt clock her online because she never really did much full body standing next to women, she always angled up the camera or what i assume are different sized chairs to centre everyone. You cant really find any pics of her not taken by her on the internet.
nikkievs.jpg
- you can tell here aswell here is a trans girl who looks really passable by herself in pics she takes, yet when shes next to other girls it makes it obvious who was born a manexhibit b.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending