Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older. I'd ideally like to become an MP, but I know its not gonna be the sort of thing you just go into and it obviously isn't a particuarly secure job. I'm really unsure about uni. Recently, I've thought about the police, i used to want to join them before but I lost interest when i found out you needed a degree or something. i looked on the met website and it seems like that isn't a requirement anymore? (can anyone confirm this). The thing is, I feel like if I did I would be going against some of my values. like i feel like imagine if i had to go and stop a protest or something that i supported (i am quite leftwing). at the same time i feel like i could try and change attitudes within the police, and there are sides to it which i would like as i have sometimes considered going into things like being a social worker, and i know an increasingly high amount of police work nowadays is related to that. if anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know. thanks

ALSO: I know you are supposed to be politically neutral, so i don't think i would necessarily let it get in the way if i did make that commitment. but it does potentially frustrate me that i might not be allowed to be as politically active and also get looked down upon by some members of that community.
Last edited by Ferrograd; 1 month ago
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won't go into the Police as a constable and change attitudes I'm afraid. You could risk your job if you become politically active or put your colleagues at risk if you take the piss on public order. You are just there to carry out a vital service for the public and leave your beliefs at home and uphold police values.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't necessarily need a degree to enter the police force but you'll end up with the equivalent of one once you've completed the apprenticeship
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
You don't necessarily need a degree to enter the police force but you'll end up with the equivalent of one once you've completed the apprenticeship
Yeah I've actually just read and found out you don't even need to do the apprenticeship as some forces like the met still thankfully offer the traditional route.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (190)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (120)
9.81%
Isolating with family (85)
6.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (106)
8.67%
Loneliness (118)
9.65%
Financial worries (52)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
8.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.28%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (107)
8.75%

Watched Threads