losteenager15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently a GCSE student and I've been to various sitxth form open evenings, when i go to the math area people always say "dont do it, its too hard" or you'll need 8's and 9's.
Is A level math really that daunting?
Reety
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends how much work you're willing to put in.
Jeries Hattar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by losteenager15)
I'm currently a GCSE student and I've been to various sitxth form open evenings, when i go to the math area people always say "dont do it, its too hard" or you'll need 8's and 9's.
A levels are not very hard compared to other programs like ib, ap, sats, btecs and any other school leaving exams but are very hard compared to gcses, in my opinion a level is easily five times harder than it's equivalent gcse and you need to take at least 3.5 a levels so yes a level math is daunting but you will get a very high mark if you practice lots of past papers but it needs determination and strong will.
Mona123456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my opinion, it’s not that daunting, but yes, realistically you need a grade 9 in maths and a good work ethic to succeed, otherwise it’ll be pretty hard to do well in. Good luck! It’s a very rewarding and fun A Level though, from my experiences anyway.
chapmase
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People that have 8s and 9s are usually the type of people that would be capable doing Maths and Further maths as well, so for just maths saying you need 8s and 9s is probably a bit extreme. Maths is I think the most popular A-level subject, so a lot of people do it. Because there are so many people that do it there is a very large range of ability so some find it fairly easy and some people do find it extremely difficult. It's a bit of a generalisation to say 'it's too hard' it all depends on where you fit on the scale. If you feel confident at GCSE and think you'd enjoy it and be willing to put in the effort to do well if it is hard, then go for it and don't be put off! It may be hard, but it's also required by universities for quite a lot of science/maths based courses so is definitely worth it for opening up your options post 6th form!
Dancer2001
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is a big jump from GCSE maths, but so are most A levels.
At the open evenings, they’re just trying to put off anyone who doesn’t like maths, and who might be doing it to look intelligent, to get on a certain degree etc. An A level class is much easier to teach when all the students actually like the subject.
There are people with 9s at GCSE who struggle, but there are also people who got 6s and 7s who do really well. I would look at some of the A level maths content and see if you think you would enjoy it.
losteenager15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
It is a big jump from GCSE maths, but so are most A levels.
At the open evenings, they’re just trying to put off anyone who doesn’t like maths, and who might be doing it to look intelligent, to get on a certain degree etc. An A level class is much easier to teach when all the students actually like the subject.
There are people with 9s at GCSE who struggle, but there are also people who got 6s and 7s who do really well. I would look at some of the A level maths content and see if you think you would enjoy it.
Thanks!
AGrizzlyBearo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Every a level is hard in some respect.

It may be too hard for the people who spoke at the maths area, but it doesn't mean it will be too hard for you.

If you want to do it, the do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads