A level history coursework how do you structure it?

Watch
workhard12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I was wondering what is the best way to structure your history (essay) coursework?

Like how I would answer a factors question e.g. J was the main factor ...

Sorry if I don’t make sense I’m literally so confused.

any suggestions would be hugely appreciated
Last edited by workhard12; 1 year ago
fish finger fan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
moved to a levels, hopefully this helps you get an answer. Good luck with your coursework .
s_phie_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firstly, do the paragraph on the main factor. Next do an unnamed factor (ie not in your title) that is most likely to be the main factor instead. Do several paragraphs like this in decreasing order of most likely to be the main factor.

Within each paragraph, open with a statement including factor and how it relates to the title (J was the main factor towards X because ...).

- Also have a historians view which supports the opening statement and a piece of primary evidence to back up their view. If you have the word space, you can also included a second piece of primary evidence to show how the view is limited (ie limited because it does not account for the political/social/economic issue which is shown in this report/speech/will etc).

- Also have a historian (if you can find one) that argues against your first historians view. However, you second historian's argument should be weaker/ easier to dismiss with primary evidence so as to support your argument.

^you dont have to do these things in any particular order, just make sure they are in there is you can.

- Finish with a judgement about how far the factor you are discussing is the main factor using what you have just argued and the wording from the question.

Repeat for all factors you are dealing with. Then in your conclusion, you can bring together all your mini judgements to say have far one factor was the most important to answer the question.

One final unrelated tip: write down all the information you have about a source in an easy list somewhat so that when you come to referencing you don't want to rip your hair out! Check what you need for your referencing style and have it handy somewhere so you don't have to do it at the last minute - speaking from experience, it is not fun.

Hope this helps! Just handed mine in (How far the Cold War affected liberation movements in Africa) so if you have any more questions just pm me. Good luck!
workhard12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by s_phie_)
Firstly, do the paragraph on the main factor. Next do an unnamed factor (ie not in your title) that is most likely to be the main factor instead. Do several paragraphs like this in decreasing order of most likely to be the main factor.

Within each paragraph, open with a statement including factor and how it relates to the title (J was the main factor towards X because ...).

- Also have a historians view which supports the opening statement and a piece of primary evidence to back up their view. If you have the word space, you can also included a second piece of primary evidence to show how the view is limited (ie limited because it does not account for the political/social/economic issue which is shown in this report/speech/will etc).

- Also have a historian (if you can find one) that argues against your first historians view. However, you second historian's argument should be weaker/ easier to dismiss with primary evidence so as to support your argument.

^you dont have to do these things in any particular order, just make sure they are in there is you can.

- Finish with a judgement about how far the factor you are discussing is the main factor using what you have just argued and the wording from the question.

Repeat for all factors you are dealing with. Then in your conclusion, you can bring together all your mini judgements to say have far one factor was the most important to answer the question.

One final unrelated tip: write down all the information you have about a source in an easy list somewhat so that when you come to referencing you don't want to rip your hair out! Check what you need for your referencing style and have it handy somewhere so you don't have to do it at the last minute - speaking from experience, it is not fun.

Hope this helps! Just handed mine in (How far the Cold War affected liberation movements in Africa) so if you have any more questions just pm me. Good luck!
you are amazing thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed