The Student Room Group

Guys what should I be doing

Its February half term
I study English lit/lang, Latin, d.t, maths, history, triple science, french foundation.
Reply 1
For english lit, make essay plans, read the books and write notes on the main ideas and key scenes. Annotate the poems and see which ones you would want to compare to one another. Read model essays to understand the language and phrasing needed for top marks.
For english lang, practice papers realistically will help you most, learn to write excactly what the mark schemes are asking and practice your vocabulary.
Latin and DT, I don't take and have no experience with, sorry.
Maths, practice papers. If you don't know how to do a question, go over that specific topic, eventually youll feel comfortable with most things.
Science, seneca, CGP guides to go over the topics and then practice questions (you can find lots on Maths and Physics tutor) and past papers are a lifesaver. They can only ask so many questions-a lot is repeated- just keep on doing them and MARKING THEM. you need to see your mistakes and what you can improve on.
History, I read through the textbook and make flashcards on the dates and key people and key facts. Practice a few questions, but just make sure your knowlegde and understanding is good.
French, I'm currently working on grammar and vocabulary. As soon as you cover the basics, do tons of practice translations, you'll pick up key vocab. Do lots of exam papers as that's a good way to learn new vocab and exam skills.
do some work regularly everyday but don't overwork yourself as it's half term for a reason. ideally your notes for topics you've covered should be done at this point and you can start revising them and going through past papers. if you haven't managed to collate resources for all your subjects take advantage of any pre-made ones; you can find lots of online sets on quizlet.
have a re-read over your texts and annotations for english lit; if you spot other things, note them down!!
essay plans i can imagine would be useful for history and english lit.
Reply 3
Original post by aylee
For english lit, make essay plans, read the books and write notes on the main ideas and key scenes. Annotate the poems and see which ones you would want to compare to one another. Read model essays to understand the language and phrasing needed for top marks.
For english lang, practice papers realistically will help you most, learn to write excactly what the mark schemes are asking and practice your vocabulary.
Latin and DT, I don't take and have no experience with, sorry.
Maths, practice papers. If you don't know how to do a question, go over that specific topic, eventually youll feel comfortable with most things.
Science, seneca, CGP guides to go over the topics and then practice questions (you can find lots on Maths and Physics tutor) and past papers are a lifesaver. They can only ask so many questions-a lot is repeated- just keep on doing them and MARKING THEM. you need to see your mistakes and what you can improve on.
History, I read through the textbook and make flashcards on the dates and key people and key facts. Practice a few questions, but just make sure your knowlegde and understanding is good.
French, I'm currently working on grammar and vocabulary. As soon as you cover the basics, do tons of practice translations, you'll pick up key vocab. Do lots of exam papers as that's a good way to learn new vocab and exam skills.

Thanks, that's proper helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by entertainmyfaith
do some work regularly everyday but don't overwork yourself as it's half term for a reason. ideally your notes for topics you've covered should be done at this point and you can start revising them and going through past papers. if you haven't managed to collate resources for all your subjects take advantage of any pre-made ones; you can find lots of online sets on quizlet.
have a re-read over your texts and annotations for english lit; if you spot other things, note them down!!
essay plans i can imagine would be useful for history and english lit.

cheers!
Original post by Adam999999
cheers!

no worries, good luck with gcses!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest