jamesmorley1810
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello, fellow languages students!

I am currently revising the literature/film essays, but I'm not really sure how to structure them/how long they should be. I know the mark scheme says 300 words recommended, but the essays I write tend to be 600/700 words or more. The high-marks sample essays I have found on TES etc also quite often seem to be a lot more than 300 words - is that okay, or do they penalise writing too much? I haven't had a great deal of teacher input on structuring the essays either, so I was hoping for some advice!

How has anyone else been told to structure them? Have you been told to write strictly 300 words or not?

(I am in a bit of an odd situation at my school, since I am the only student in both my A Level French and Spanish lessons, which means I don't really have anyone to ask for revision tips from!)
abbie_laurenx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,

My teacher is an examiner for French and actually wrote the revision guide on the film we study, he gave us some advice on it. He said 300 words is unrealistic and you’re more likely to write 700+ so don’t worry about that too much, otherwise it can jeopardise your content marks. There are 20 marks available for content and 20 marks for accuracy so just be careful overwriting because it can lead to less accuracy. Which book and film do you study? Hope this helps!
jamesmorley1810
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by abbie_laurenx)
Hi,

My teacher is an examiner for French and actually wrote the revision guide on the film we study, he gave us some advice on it. He said 300 words is unrealistic and you’re more likely to write 700+ so don’t worry about that too much, otherwise it can jeopardise your content marks. There are 20 marks available for content and 20 marks for accuracy so just be careful overwriting because it can lead to less accuracy. Which book and film do you study? Hope this helps!
Thank you very much, that's really useful!

I'm studying Un sac de billes, La haine and No et Moi for French (we had the time given it's just me in the class!) and El laberinto del Fauno and El coronel no tiene queen le escriba for Spanish.
How do you tend to structure your essays? I was told PEE, but I wondered if that is a bit constraining/simplistic?

Thanks again!
abbie_laurenx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by jamesmorley1810)
Thank you very much, that's really useful!

I'm studying Un sac de billes, La haine and No et Moi for French (we had the time given it's just me in the class!) and El laberinto del Fauno and El coronel no tiene queen le escriba for Spanish.
How do you tend to structure your essays? I was told PEE, but I wondered if that is a bit constraining/simplistic?

Thanks again!
I study Un Sac De Billes too! He wrote that guide there isn’t a French guide, I got mixed up! I study English Literature so at first struggled with over-analysing the plot. However you literally can use the PEE structure- for example I did an essay on the relationship between Jo and Maurice and wrote about the dependence on Maurice from Jo, then used the example of the beginning of the book and explained how Jo relied on Maurice. I used several other examples following the same structure and got 18/20 on content in my mock. I structure my essays normally intro, 3-4 paragraphs then a conclusion. My teacher said to learn a set introduction and use it in every essay- of about 100 words. But yeah PEE isn’t too simplistic and it does work! Good luck! Let me know if you need anymore help, I’m presuming Spanish is the same but I don’t personally study it! Two A Level languages must be intense!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (209)
57.26%
I don't have everything I need (156)
42.74%

Watched Threads